Overheard on CNN.com: Cutting off men’s 'junk' isn’t funny
A South California woman is in jail after cutting off her husband's penis; readers say it's no laughing matter
July 13th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Cutting off men’s 'junk' isn’t funny

Comment of the day:
“If this were Chuck Norris, right now they'd just be fixing the garbage disposal." - Aezel

Wife cuts it off

Things went from bad to worse for a divorcing Southern California couple when Catherine Kieu Becker allegedly drugged her husband, cut off his penis, threw it into the garbage disposal and turned the mechanism on. Becker has been booked into the Orange Country jail and the victim underwent emergency surgery at the UCI Medical Center.

Some CNN.com readers joked about the incident while other readers cried foul for making light of a serious physical attack.

First the lighter comments:

ytuque said, “Maybe my ex-wife wasn't so bad after all?”
Ethnya said, “Take the house, take the car, take the children, but do NOT take my junk!”
themaestro74 said, “The garbage disposal?! I may never get an erection again because of this story!”
oneoarout said, “Odds are, next time you hear the disposal you grab your junk!”
mjm223 said, “She'll be acquitted of the charges; The prosecution won't be able to prove that his penis didn't just detach itself and then accidentally drown in a swimming pool.”
AlteredBeast said, “Why would any man want to divorce such a sweet flower?”
cabinguy said, “Not the good kind of early retirement...”
tmelcher4 said, “At least Lorena had the decency to just throw it out the car window, c'mon.”

And those who didn’t want to make light of the incident:

VinProfessor said, “Why do people think violence against men is funny, but violence against women is horrifying?” Fnordian72 said, “Couldn't be.... SEXISM.... could it?” oneoarout said, “When a puppy is beaten, we're horrified. When a rat gets stepped on by a cow, we laugh. Get it?” Bubba01 said, “Because men do most of the violence, and reversals are funny. Also, it's either laugh or scream . . .” JustinCase4u said, “Because men usually deserve it ... however nobody deserves what happened to this guy unless you molested a bunch of children.”

NoSaint1 said, “Nobody would be laughing if it was a man who mutilated a woman's clitoris! It is really sickening how men are treated by women and the media. She'll get a fraction of the time in jail that a man would get. Just watch and see.”

cloud13 said, “In Afghanistan women are often mutilated when they cheat on their husbands. Yet I have a feeling that the same American women who laugh and claim that this man got what he deserved, wouldn't tell a mutilated Afghan girl that she got what she deserved for cheating on her husband.”

bk753 said, “Just watch television commercials. All the dupes, idiots, and morons are white men. We have no group to protect us, and we are emasculated daily. We are perceived as the power and the majority and are fair game for ridicule ... and now abuse.”

lostmind57 said, “White Male Bashing has been Politically Correct for the past two decades. But as in all things eventually the pendulum will swing. And I have not mutilated any women nor has my father; as far as I know, nor has my grandfather. So let us quit stereotyping the white male.”

Netflix price hike

Weeks after Netflix was denied further access to Sony movies via Starz, and movie studios are signaling that their licensing fees may increase significantly, Netflix more than doubled the cost of their movie streaming services. The move left many Netflix customers angry and thousand posted their displeasure online (including Netflix’s Facebook page).

CNN.com readers were torn, though. Many were angry about the higher costs, while others said they understood Netflix’s position and still think their prices are more than fair.

AndrewZar said, “Please, people. Don't ‘threaten to cancel’ – just DO IT. That is the ONLY thing that will show what you feel. I adjusted my plan to drop streaming; it is not valuable enough to warrant the cost.” eekthecat13 responded, “Threaten, THEN do it … you get more mileage.”

Guest said, “I will be dropping Netflix.”

TDPM said, “I think I am going to cancel my Netflix. This is their second price hike in a short time... and I don't even use their service that much.”

CzarChasm said, “Don't get 23 million people used to one price structure for a year after a 20 percent increase, then hike it up by 60 percent on ANY product or service. You will get blowback.”

caseyguilty2 said, “You can stream anything for free; why pay?"

But hurricane9 said, “I assume everyone knows why the prices are going up. Sony is upping their licensing fees by a significant amount. Welcome to Economics 101. Don't blame Netflix, blame Sony.”

Fricsaid said, “Speaking as a video store owner in the 90's, it was nothing for people to come in and spend $10 bucks in one night. Average weekend movie watcher, between $40-$50 a month. And now look. People are bitching for spending less than $20 a month and don't even have to start the car?!”

spudnikidaho responded, “It's psychological. It was a very tangible experience. Now they get the same result by simply clicking a button, not seeing what goes on behind the scenes alienates them from the customer service experience and associated costs of streaming.”

Mother73 said, “I just don't get the anger. There are a ton of other options if you do not want to pay netflix. And really, $8 a month! What would you spend to buy a movie? I own about 300. What does it cost to go to a movie? Took my family of 5 yesterday, was over $50 before the snack bar. Too many people on the "angry monkey" train. $16 a month for streaming and dvd is still cheap. It's less than what you would pay to buy a single movie. But go ahead. Scream, cry, and jump ship. More Bandwidth for my family to suck up.”

Actress with a good heart

Sgt. Scott Moore says it was a bet that made him record a YouTube video asking actress Mila Kunis to accompany him to the Marine Corps Ball. And, it turns out, it was a good one because the actress has agreed to go with him in November.

CNN.com readers cheered for Moore who is in Musa Qal’eh serving his second combat deployment.

amused2000 said, “’I always thought I had a chance, and sometimes that's all you need,’ Moore says. You want to know why the Marines are as good as they are? THAT is it, right there. Semper Fi, Sgt. Moore!”

lurgy said, “Faint heart never won fair lady, good for him.”

littlefudge said, “Mila Kunis is officially the coolest celebrity...”

VTCitizen said, “Heh, that lucky #&*@!. Oh well. He has definitely earned it. Thank you for keeping my family and me safe. Semper F.”

paulinnashvl said, “This is a class act by Mila Kunis, no doubt. It's great when people overtly show support for the troops like this.”

OmarComin said, “Stay safe over there brother... you need to come back for this. And who knows maybe she'll dig you in contrast to the Hollywood d-bags she sees on a regular basis.”

jtwblack said, “I'm happy for him, but now everybody is going start asking all sorts of actresses out on YouTube. ‘Drew Barrymore, will you go to Arby’s with me?’ ”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

1. doggonit

men have been and still mutilating women in certain parts of the world...she must of gotten tired of his brainless antics and cut off his head....

July 14, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

by saying that, it is tantamount to say "that because men are sick to womens "antics" we should bring back the rule of thumb, which would probibly be a good thing.

July 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • gwallan

"men have been and still mutilating women in certain parts of the world".

No, they don't. FGM is carried out by women, not by men.

"she must of gotten tired of his brainless antics and cut off his head...."

The only brainless antics in evidence are the actions of the genital mutilator herself.

July 15, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. m00000000

Sensationalism at its "best" courtesy of CNN. Are there bigger issues in the world?? Naaaah....

July 14, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. sami

Perhaps using the term "junk" is part of the problem. After all, we do throw junk away. Unless of course you are a hoarder.

July 14, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. mejazzbo

I can hear Nancy Grace now. Will someone please cut her dick off.

July 14, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Here's another mindless Tea Partier making a joke out of this affair. This is the way these Tea Partiers think!

July 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Outraged

I honestly feel really sorry for the guy and think his wife is a psycho. To do something like this is ridiculous. I would never even consider doing a thing like this. Something is definetely wrong with this woman.

July 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I agree with you, Outraged. This is a terrible thing to do to anybody.

July 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Overheardinthecorner

Po-Po #1: Aww, man – you dig in the garbage disposal and get the pieces – you know, we can't leave a brotha hangin like that.
    Po-Po #2: No way, man. I'm deathly afraid of garbage disposals. What if my hand is in it and it turns on. I agree that we can't leave a brotha hangin like that, but I ain't reachin in there.
    Po-Po #1: Well what the **** are we going to do?
    Po-Po #2: Man, give me a fork out of the dishwasher and he's just going to have to deal with whatever we can dig out of here.

July 14, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RiffRaff

She will not go to prison over this. The evidence will not stand up in court! ( sorry, had to )

July 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. greg

Nothing funny about this. What if a guy decided he was going to remove some of his wife's genitila for the same stupid reason she had. That's not funney either.

July 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chavonne ramirez

This is not a laughing matter. Thats how it is in a society that emphasizes accountability for men/boys with little compassion while emphasizing compassion for women/girls with little accountability. Its ruthless in that it is respecting men but not loving them and it is also infantilizing in that its is loving women but not respecting them. One day society will pay for the utilitarian value we place on our men/boys lives. Im so tired of it! I am a mother of sons..male disposability will cost us dearly..This is someones brother or uncle or son. There needs to be anational discussion about how idealogues have so indoctrinated society with divisive male bashing that we would dare say that someone deserves this! Un beleievable

July 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Excellent post, it's nice to see someone acknowledging the sacrificing of our sons for the sake of our daughters which ultimately benefits noone. For those commentors here who seem to dense to understand what Chavonne is referring to, take a look at our public schools and what it is doing to our boys "for" our girls and honestly say that you think the future will be brighter for all of us because of it.

July 19, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. Xtrnl

Anybody that would find this horrifically violent incident funny is devoid of any morality whatsoever. Period.

July 14, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Moses

Joey why do you like toi blame EVERYTHING on the tea party people, I honestly don't see them making fun of this, that's something the far left would do(Dave Letterman comes to mind).

July 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Differance= he is a COMEDIAN, it is job to crak jokes (expecally bad tasteless ones). These responders are just sickos.

July 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Moses

So sorry, I meant to guess I accidentally hit the I button also.

July 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Matt

It's the same thought process for those trying to justify her torturing this man as it is for men who try to justify the raping of innocent victim. Clearly, both sides "must have gotten what they deserved."

It all just makes me sick.

July 14, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lorena Bobbitt

If a man drugged a woman, cut off her breasts, and threw them in the garbage disposal, would that be funny?
    Sounds like attempted murder or something a serial killer would do.

July 15, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. HonLincoln

My dofo is not junk,it is a business tool.

July 15, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • loriey

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free??" Here's an update for you...now-a-days 80% of women are against marriage...Why??? Because women realize it's not worth buying the whole pig just for a little sausage. Keep it going ladies, this is too funny not to repost!!

July 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |