Deep sinkhole opens under woman's bed
The sinkhole under a Guatemalan woman's bed is about 40 feet deep.
July 20th, 2011

Deep sinkhole opens under woman's bed

The first step out of bed could have been a big one.

A woman in Guatemala City reports that a sinkhole, 40 feet deep and almost 3 feet across, opened under her bed Monday.

"When we heard the loud boom we thought a gas canister from a neighboring home had exploded, or there had been a crash on the street," Inocenta Hernandez, 65, said in an Agence France-Presse report.

"We rushed out to look and saw nothing. A gentleman told me that the noise came from my house, and we searched until we found it under my bed," AFP quotes Hernandez as saying.

The area is prone to sinkholes.

In May 2010, a sinkhole about 60 feet across and 100 feet deep opened in the area, swallowing buildings and an intersection.

In 2007, another sinkhole claimed three lives in Barrio San Antonio in Guatemala City.

Hernandez told AFP that she is thankful the surprise under her bed wasn't any bigger.

"Thank God there are only material damages, because my grandchildren were running around the house, into that room and out to the patio," AFP quoted her as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Guatemala
  1. poiuytre

That was one hell of a fart!

July 22, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Not19060

How old are you? It looks like it was drilled. Very strange

August 6, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. theodor

have you heard of this amazing program called photoshop. ita has this tool called magic wand...

July 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

That is the most obvious photoshop I think I've ever seen.

July 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. phillyhuntet

Indeed... because brick and mortar lined "sinkholes" under a home's ceramic-tile floor often aren't discovered until said tile is neatly trimmed back the exact diameter of the BRICK lined sinkhole. Oh, and the owner of the home never owns the guns, drugs, bodies, etc found within either; weird!

July 25, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lisa

What Lassie? "Bark, bark, BARK!" You say Timmy fell down the well?!

July 25, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Uhh... What's up with that picture. LMFAO perspective much?

CNN Boss: We need a photo of the damage. And it has to be dramatic.
    Peon: OK, I'll see if I can contact Guatemalan authorities.
    CNN Boss: No time for that!
    Peon: Then what should I do?
    CNN Boss: Scan this in. Circle around the hole. Place over this picture. Also scan in these lights. Put them in the hole.
    Peon: I don't think this is going to work.
    CNN Boss: When's the last time I cared what you think? Get it done, NOW!
    Peon: OK... How's this?
    CNN Boss: Perfect! Now upload it, this story is breaking goddammit!
    Peon: I think I'll include this in my portfolio for my freelance business.

July 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sheila

OK, so I'm not the only one wondering how a random sinkhole leaves a perfectly round hole cut out of floor tile...

July 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jacob

Tremors anyone? Get Kevin Bacon on the case!

July 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Max

Why would you use a fake picture? You're a news source, be respectable.

July 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Armando

Whoever ordered this picture should be fired.
    Leave Photoshop to the pros.

July 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lor

Seriously? You guys are CNN. Can't you afford a better photoshop artist than your 12 year old cousin who has Photoshop 7.0 on his hand-me-down computer?

August 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Smart than you

its obviously an old well and the break is not perfectly round

August 2, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Smart than you

And you morons claiming photoshop should really inspect the links highlighted in the story as they make other photos available.

August 2, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Morons? SO you believe that sinholes are lined with undmamged brick and mortar? You are smart.

August 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MAthieu asselin

Love the photoshop disaster. At least you make it to the ps disasters web Page.
    This is incredible.

August 4, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Billy

I'm surprised of the number of 12 year olds that read cnn's blogs..

Are there any adults here? Is anyone curious as to WHY this happened?

August 8, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. tricia

This has to be a stock photo that they used because they didn't have a real picture. Are we to believe that she had self adhesive vinyl tile in her bedroom, that the floor was on a slap of bricks 5 feet thick, and that the hole opened with Wylie Coyote style precision?

August 8, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |