NFL owners vote to end lockout
The NFL is prepared to open training facilities Saturday, league commissioner Roger Goodell says.
July 21st, 2011

NFL owners vote to end lockout

NFL owners have approved a 10-year revenue-sharing agreement with players, Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Thursday evening.

"We will be prepared to open training facilities Saturday," Goodell said Thursday. "It is time to get back to football. That is what everyone here wants to do."

The August 7 preseason Pro Football Hall of Fame Game between the Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams has been canceled due to time constraints, he said. The regular season is supposed to open on September 8.

The league's 32 owners, who were meeting in Atlanta, agreed to end the current lockout in a 31-0 vote.

Player representatives scheduled an 8 p.m. conference call in which they are expected to discuss recertifying their union, said Coy Wire of the Atlanta Falcons.

"I do feel good" about the prospects, Wire told CNN.

The league's owners imposed the lockout on March 11, suspending the then-labor deal in hopes of creating a new financial structure.

Players dissolved their union at that time. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and seven others filed an antitrust lawsuit against the league on behalf of other current and eligible NFL players. A judge in early April joined that action with another filed by retired players.

The litigation apparently has been resolved, clearing the way for the agreement to be reviewed by the players, the NFL said in a statement Thursday evening.

Since the lockout, the two sides have faced off in courts and around conference tables. The major issues have revolved around how to divide the billions of dollars of revenue reaped via the league each year, rules of free agency, a possible rookie wage scale, retirement benefits and a host of other matters.

Under the old agreement, NFL owners take $1 billion off the top of that revenue stream. After that, the players get about 60%.

The owners say the current labor deal doesn't take into account the rising costs related to building stadiums and promoting the game. The players argue that the league has not sufficiently opened up its books to prove this.

In addition, the owners also want to increase the season by two games, which the players are against because of the risk of injuries.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Pro football • Sports
  1. caligula

thar she blows!!the stuff is all over the place!

July 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

Non ho visto il film "Hang Over Two."

July 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cro

"The heart of the issue between the players and the owners is how to divide the league's $9 billion in revenue." What about the fans? Couldn't they throw us a bone by reducing the RIDICULOUSLY overpriced food and drink. The players and owners continue to bathe in money while we, the fans, continue to pay $4.00 for a 25¢ bottle of water. I hope they choke on their money.

July 21, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pastor Knowitall

@Cro: You hit the nail on the head. Nothing was mentioned of lowering ticket or concession prices. They don't care about us. They only care about our money which is less available with the current economic situation. Heaven forbid they lower prices on anything. I'm perfectly fine without football. I'm glad they made it perfectly clear in public how they feel about us. They drew out this drama for so long that perhaps they thought it would make fans desire the season more, but with me it just made me lose any interest I had in spending my hard earned money at any of their games. I will sit home and watch for free the rest of my life.

July 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Queen

@Rumpleteazer:
    In my case, 8. ;)

I would hope that these players would have kept in shape...
    But knowing my beloved Chicago Bears, maybe not so much....

July 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bro

8 inches? Isn't that a bit inappropriate?

July 21, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bro

The owner of the Red Wings also owns the stadium and Little Caesar's pizza. They sell a pizza that would normally cost $5 at any store for $11 (the last time I checked).. There isn't any added cost for him to slang his pies in his own building. It's greed and nothing more. You can keep your greasy pie and I will keep my healthy heart and wallet.

July 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |