Official: U.S. military ready to accept gay, lesbian troops
July 21st, 2011

Official: U.S. military ready to accept gay, lesbian troops

The Pentagon is set to certify that the U.S. military is prepared to accept openly gay and lesbian service members, and doing so will not harm military readiness, a U.S. official told CNN on Thursday.

An announcement of that certification which is required to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy is likely to come Friday, according to the official, who spoke on condition of not being identified.

Under a bill passed last year that set up a process for repealing the controversial policy, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen, along with President Barack Obama, have to sign a certification that confirms the military's ability to accept the integration of openly gay and lesbian troops.

Even after certification, there will be a 60-day waiting period before the repeal is fully implemented.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Don't Ask Don't Tell • Gay and lesbian • Military
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    I have to check your 10-year-dormant period for HIV to show on a test. Sorry–just gotta check up on you.
    I know that you can have HIV a long time without symptoms of a compromised immune system.
    I test negative.
    It's very hard to get the virus from saliva, which is hostile to it.
    I've never heard of a case that came from sweat.
    I'll find out.

July 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

@Joey...you forgot to mention dentists and other healthcare professionals. One gay dentist in Florida infected 57 of his patients. google it. Now imagine the worldwide "dentist" and how many have been infected through just this one type of healthworker. (and all that a negative HIV test shows is that your antibodies have not detected the virus. The virus can change it's own chemical makeup and appear to be harmless glucose (sugar) to your antibodies, who then leave it alone rather than sending your antibody count to the roof attacking it.

July 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ fluffy:
    If you meant me about observations of gay men, I've know both gay and straight people who died of AIDS.
    I know enough about the virus to stay negative.
    The last person I knew who died was a straight woman.
    I went to her hospital room with flowers the last time I saw her, and she didn't know who I was.

July 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

...and Joey, we are chatting about the rarer ways that people contract AIDS. We both know of the standard way that gay's go about transmitting the virus to each other. Casual contact does in fact plave you in a higher-risk group. But the lifestyle choices and behavioral patterns of gay men place them in the highest-risk group of all. If you are a gay man, you are 800 times more likely to be a carrier. (according to the CDC) And Joey? You never did answer...would you allow children to play where 800 times as many perverted individuals played?

July 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

...like if a teacher was injured and had to be taken to the hospital, and left you in charge of the field trip. Would you take the kids to a NAMBLA playground? No, you would not. Get your kid out of that gym Joey. It's too risky.

July 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Aj

@ Joey, oh yeah it's true about being dorment for a period of time. I believe I heard it on a special about H-I-V and what we know now.

July 23, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Aj

BTW , I would even take a chance with saliva ,no way now how!

July 23, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. str8 sarge

Head 'em up! Move 'em out! Ok all you girls, to the showers and I don't want to hear anything about losing the soap.

July 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Imnotsorry

Arent they all now of days?

July 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name*Randyman917

Thank God Iretired 14 years ago! Dont think I could stand it!

July 24, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dorin

Votre article est tres interesant. Merci beaucoup pour votre informations. http://acordare-chitara.blogspot.com/

January 5, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |