[Update: 10:20 p.m. ET, 4:20 a.m. Oslo] At least 80 people are dead as a result of a rampage Friday on Norway's Utoya Island, police said Saturday.
Norwegian authorities say the attack, which occurred at the ruling Labour Party's youth camp on an island outside the capital, was linked to a bombing earlier Friday in the heart of Oslo.
The death toll from the bombing still stands at 7, Norwegian Police spokesman Are Frykholm told CNN.
A 32-year-old Norwegian man is in custody, he said.
"For now we have arrested one person and he is being held in custody and we are investigating further based on information we're getting from him," he said.
[Update: 8:15 p.m. ET, 2:15 a.m. Oslo] The scene after a bomb exploded in the center of Oslo on Friday reminded New Yorker Ian Dutton of what he witnessed after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the United States.
The scale of the Oslo explosion was smaller than that of 9/11, but the stunned feeling and confusion in the aftermath were eerily similar.
"Seeing the emergency response gives me that same feeling in my spine of being in someone's crosshairs," Dutton said.
[Update: 6:54 p.m. ET, 12:54 a.m. Oslo]The official death toll as a result of Friday's explosion in Oslo stands at 7 and 90 people have been hospitalized, a spokesman for the city's mayor said.
Police have finished searching damaged buildings for dead and injured, spokesman Erik Hansen said. One of the city government's chief concerns overnight is finding shelter for the numerous elderly people whose homes were damaged in the blast, Hansen said.
[Update: 5:40 p.m. ET, 11:40 p.m. Oslo] Undetonated explosives were found on Utoya Island, where a gunman opened fire earlier in the day on a Labour Party Youth Camp, Oslo, Norway, acting Police Chief Sveinung Sponheim said late Friday night.
Authorities believe the man traveled to the island from Oslo, where at least seven were killed in a bombing in the city center. The suspect, a 32-year-old Norwegian, was taken into custody after he killed or wounded an unknown number of people, Sponheim said.
[Update: 5:07 p.m. ET, 11:07 p.m. Oslo] A Norwegian man was arrested Friday in connection with attacks in Norway, officials said at a press conference Friday.
Norwegian Justice Minister Knut Storberget said Friday that he was not familiar with "any threats connected to these attacks," a reference to a large explosion in Oslo and a mass shooting on Utoya Island.
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg added that it is "too early to say anything about motives."
The Los Angeles County District Attorney charged two men Friday with mayhem and assault – both felonies – in the March 31 beating of a Santa Cruz paramedic in the parking lot outside Dodger Stadium.
The paramedic, Bryan Stow, remains hospitalized.Police: "Primary aggressor" in Giants fan's beating arrested
House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.
"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.
President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.
The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.FULL STORY
Comment of the Day
"I can't believe that I have to read an article about elected officials asking permission of a nonelected outsider whether or not they can vote their conscience. Isn't this a kind of 'taxation without representation?' Norquist should run for office if he wants to make American policy. Or, I guess he doesn't have to? Who else is behind the secret curtain that the GOP bows to?–helpme911
Anti-tax-increase lobbyist Grover Norquist told the Washington Post's editorial board that legislators voting to let the Bush-era tax cuts expire would not be breaking their tax pledges. Democrats saw his comments as a way out of the debt-ceiling impasse, giving Republicans "permission" to let the Bush tax breaks expire. Many CNN.com readers agreed.
KaptainKhaos said, "OK, Guys in the GOP, one more time: Let go of the Bush tax cuts. They were crazy and irresponsible back in 2001. That was before the war. We spent our asses off in the last 10 years, GOP and Democrats both. As for you in the tea party: the credit card is maxed out; we can't just not pay. Let's get together and pay the tab and just try to make sure this never happens again."
pankster said, "C'mon Teabaggers, even your demi-god Grover Norquist thinks you've gone too far. Get out of the GOP already, you are destroying the party and ensuring single party rule for the Democrats."
Readers questioned why the cuts should be extended if they did not fulfill their purpose. Dale2000 asked, "The Bush tax cuts have been in place for 10 years ... have they worked yet?" celtic61 replied, "Tax rates for the wealthy are currently lower than any time since 1928. The fed and states are broke. Hmmmm, doesn't take a rocket scientist."
msemon said, "Where are the jobs the Bush tax credit was supposed to create? We should have created millions or jobs instead of losing them. It was a gimme for the rich and corporations. Little trickled down. Norquist and his anti-tax zealots don't base any of their arguments on reality and the cost of things. If you want roads, bridges, military, trash pickup - these all cost money. They just don't want to pay taxes."
DanFromParma said, "It's my money. Who the hell are you to tell me what I should and should not do with my money? You want to support every bleeding-heart cause, go for it. But don't expect me to, and don't try to force me to."
BanHammer replied, "Who is forcing you to do anything? You do benefit from taxes whether you like it or not: the roads you drive on, the water you drink, the air you breathe even, and all the other 'social welfare' programs you take advantage of." iEvolved added, "Sorry if regulations that make products safer and make treating employees fair are a hindrance. Sorry if paying a fair share of taxes is a financial burden."
VinceK said, "Seeing as how taxes are the lowest in 60 years, I'd say we have a ways to go before we're satisfied ... so yes, be prepared for all of us to want more of your taxes. Deal with it."
President Barack Obama, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen certified Friday that the U.S. military is prepared to accept openly gay and lesbian service members, and that doing so will not harm military readiness, according to the White House.
Under a bill passed last year that set up a process for repealing the controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy, all three men needed to sign a certification that confirms the military's ability to accept the integration of openly gay and lesbian troops.
A 60-day waiting period will now begin before the repeal is fully implemented.FULL STORY
An Ohio jury on Friday found Anthony Sowell guilty in connection with the aggravated murders, kidnappings and sexual assaults of 11 women in Cleveland between 2007 and 2009.
The jury took less than three days to convict Sowell, who pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to 85 counts, among them, murder, abuse of a corpse, kidnapping and tampering with evidence.
Sowell turned and offered his hands to a sheriff's deputy to be handcuffed as Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Dick Ambrose read the first guilty verdict for the aggravated murder of Tonia Carmichael with a sexual motivation. In the gallery, Carmichael's mother and daughter hugged each other as the verdict was read.
The judge took nearly an hour to read all the verdicts. The jurors found him guilty on 84 counts, with the sole not guilty verdict coming on an aggravated robbery charge.
Investigators discovered the remains of the 11 women – ages 25 to 52 – in Sowell's home beginning in October 2009. Since then, other women have come forward alleging that Sowell attacked them.
Police believe the women were easy prey for Sowell, a convicted sex offender who served 15 years for the attempted rape of a woman in 1989. Most of the women had struggled with drug addiction at some point and court records showing that many resorted to stealing and prostitution to support their habits.
With the conviction, Sowell faces the death penalty. Prosecutors received a report from an expert working with the defense, claiming Sowell suffers from several mental illnesses, including obsessive compulsiveness and post traumatic stress disorder, according to CNN affiliate WOIO.Defense rests in case of accused Ohio serial killer
The heat wave that was smothering the Midwest has moved east and is coupling with a heaping dose of sticky humidity to produce a sauna-like effect along the Atlantic.
Whether you're on the East Coast or just feel bad for the East Coast, cool off with these heat-related stats and factoids, and check back for more throughout the day.
NFL owners have approved a proposed labor deal. Game on, right? Wrong, several players said Friday.
One day after NFL owners trumpeted the ratification of a 10-year collective bargaining agreement that would end the stalemate, players from several ballclubs expressed contempt for the way it was being portrayed.
Super Bowl-winning quarterback Aaron Rodgers tweeted that the owners were benefiting from "ridiculous" media spin.
Wide receiver Donté Stallworth, who did an on-air interview with ESPN on Friday, pleaded for fan support. "Fans PLEASE understand we received the deal late last night," he said via Twitter. "Stayed up late & up early today reviewing 200+ pages... We are on top of it!!!
A malfunctioning forklift dropped 462 cases of wine in Australia on Thursday, a spill with a price tag of more than $1 million.
The 5,544 bottles of 2010 Mollydooker Velvet Glove shiraz, with a price tag of $185 a bottle, fell almost 20 feet to ground of a wharf in Port Adelaide as the forklift was loading it for shipment abroad, according to media reports.
"We just couldn't believe it," winemaker Sparky Marquis said in a report on Adelaide Now. "As you can imagine, this wine is our pride and joy. To see it accidentally destroyed, and not consumed, has left us all a bit numb.
"The container manager said that when his team came and told him what had happened, he was looking around for cameras to see if it was a 'gotcha' hoax. He realised it was serious when nobody was laughing," Adelaide Now quotes Marquis as saying.
Marquis told ABC.net that only one carton among the 462 was undamaged. His staff was searching through the others to see if any other bottles may have escaped.
"All of the bottles are in the cool store and we're just having to go through every single bottle, check it first of all to see if it has any cap seal damage to it, in which case it just gets immediately discarded," ABC.net quotes him as saying.
The lost wine represents a third of his company's output for a year.
Brett McCarthur of Kerry Logistics, the company which operated the forklift, told Adelaide Now his company moves tens of thousands of heavy containers each year.
"We move hundreds of pallets a day filled with sand and even stuff that it wouldn't matter if you dropped it from 50 feet in the air, but the only premium container had to be the one," McCarthur was quoted as saying.
Marquis said he was working with insurers to get compensated for his loss.
The Drug Enforcement Administration arrested nearly 2,000 people in the United States as part of a 20-month strike against Mexico's La Familia Michoacana cartel, law enforcement officials said.
In a statement Thursday, DEA Administrator Michele M. Leonhart said the strike, called Project Deliriium, netted 1,985 arrests and $62 million in a blow to the notorious cartel.
Dozens of arrests occurred in several states, including Texas, California, Georgia, Colorado, Alabama, Minnesota and New Mexico.
“Project Delirium is the second successful, strategic and surgical strike to disrupt and destroy one of the most violent Mexican cartels, La Familia,” Leonhart said.
Three things you need to know today.
Next Mars mission: Where on Mars will we go next year?
NASA and the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum on Friday will announce the destination for the latest Mars rover, scheduled to land on the Red Planet in August 2012.
The newest rover, called the The Mars Science Laboratory, or Curiosity, is scheduled for liftoff from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida in November.
Curiosity, two times as long and five times as heavy as previous Mars rovers, will look for conditions that could sustain microscopic life and any evidence of past life on Mars.
NASA's two previous Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, began their planned three-month missions on Mars in 2004. Spirit stopped communicating with Earth in 2010, but Opportunity is still at work, just last week logging its 20th mile on the Martian surface.
Watch Friday's event live and engage in a live chat at http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl beginning at 10 a.m. ET.
Missing Pacific boaters: The U.S. Coast Guard is sending one of its ships to Fanano atoll in the South Pacific after a small boat matching the description of a skiff reported missing with 15 people was spotted on the uninhabited atoll aboard 600 miles southeast of Guam.
The crew of a vessel leaving Ruo Island, the intended destination of the missing skiff, reported seeing an overturned boat on the beach of the Fanano atoll, the Coast Guard said in a statement. Several people were also on shore, it said.
A long-range Navy search plane flew over the area after the Coast Guard received the report.
"Once on scene, the aircraft reported back that a damaged vessel was overturned on the beach and several crude shelters had been erected on the beach," the statement said.
Korea talks: South Korea's chief envoy to six-party talks on ending North Korea's nuclear program is to meet with a senior North Korean diplomat on the sidelines of the ASEAN regional forum, South Korean officials say.
Wi Sung-lac, the chief negotiator for the South, has proposed holding talks with Ri Yong-ho, who is widely expected to succeed Kim Kye-gwan as the North's top envoy to the multilateral talks, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reports.
The agenda of their discussion has not been disclosed.
This is North Korea's first response to South Korea's proposal to hold nuclear talks since the beginning of this year, a South Korean foreign ministry official who did not want to be identified due to sensitivity of the matter told CNN.
North Korea pulled out of the six-party talks on nuclear disarmament in 2008.