NFL lockout 'over', but labor dispute still on
The NFL is prepared to open training facilities Saturday, Commissioner Roger Goodell says.
July 22nd, 2011

NFL lockout 'over', but labor dispute still on

NFL owners have approved a proposed labor deal. Game on, right? Wrong, several players said Friday.

One day after NFL owners trumpeted the ratification of a 10-year collective bargaining agreement that would end the stalemate, players from several ballclubs expressed contempt for the way it was being portrayed.

Super Bowl-winning quarterback Aaron Rodgers tweeted that the owners were benefiting from "ridiculous" media spin.

Wide receiver Donté  Stallworth, who did an on-air interview with ESPN on Friday, pleaded for fan support. "Fans PLEASE understand we received the deal late last night," he said via Twitter. "Stayed up late & up early today reviewing 200+ pages... We are on top of it!!!

Other players weren't so gracious.

"The owners tried 2 slip many things n2 the CBA 'they' voted on that were NEVER agreed 2!" tweeted New Orleans fullback Heath Evans.

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, in response to a fan’s tweet about the lockout being done and football on the horizon, tweeted: "Not quite. Don't believe the hype."

ESPN radio and television personality Bonnie Bernstein empathized with the players late Thursday, tweeting: "Imagine getting a lengthy contract detailing ur job for NEXT 10 YRS . Wouldn't u be analyzing every line?"

On Thursday, NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith was less than optimistic in an e-mail to the group's 32 player representatives on the owners' approval of the labor deal.

"As you know, the owners have ratified their proposal to settle our differences,” he said, according to SI.com. “They apparently approved a supplemental revenue sharing proposal. Obviously, we have not been a part of those discussions."

"We will be prepared to open training facilities Saturday," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday, effectively ending the lockout that NFL owners voted for months earlier. Players at that point would be free to come and go - and train - in league buildings (thus, they'll be no longer physically locked out), although they would not be signed if they didn't do so before the labor dispute.

"It is time to get back to football. That is what everyone here wants to do," Goodell said.

The ante was raised considerably Thursday when it was announced that the August 7 preseason Hall of Fame Game between the Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams had been canceled due to time constraints.

The regular season is scheduled to begin September 8.

But that's on paper. In reality, gamesmanship is in play more than ever.

Post by:
Filed under: Pro football • Sports • Uncategorized
  1. Lori

Whine Whine. For what they are getting paid to play I don't feel sorry for them when they get hurt. They have way better insurance & havd lived with more luxury than many Americans. They should have set money aside for future medical complications. They must be related to our politicians. TAKE TAKE TAKE ITS ALL ABOUT ME!!!!

July 24, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Me

I really find it hard to sympathize. I love football. I really do... But seriously... This is ridiculous. They want to accuse the owners of being greedy, well... that's the pot calling the kettle black. In a time of economic strife around the country, where people are struggling pay check to pay check as jobs get continuously sent over seas, and lost... These guys get paid MILLIONS of dollars to PLAY A GAME. I would love to make that kind of money to do my hobbies and passions. If you work for any company, you can guarantee that you are not going to get paid what you think your worth. These guys should be counting their blessings for the career they have. The tool that gets drafted to be a bench warmer, making league minimum makes three times as much as my husband and I make combined. Quit your whining and get back to work.

July 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • roshinobi

I imagine you and your husband don't have three hundred pound lineman trying to throw them to the ground every couple of seconds at work, and you can probably keep your job more than the NFL average of 6 years. It's easy to call other people greedy though, I guess.

July 25, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Soldier2006

well I have to say I agree with you. I make no where near that amount and no i dont have 300lb linemen trying to throw me down. I FIGHT WARS. I spend years away from my children and wife. Someone will also make a comment about my education level, to address that I have a BBA.

July 25, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. Candace

Did you even read what I said? For many there is no time to set money aside and for too many others, no amount of money can fix what happens to them. Many commit suicide because they have head injuries so severe that the quality of their lives becomes unbearable. And don't say they shouldn't play the game then. The owners, trainers, doctors and other officials need to step up and take some responsibilty for these types of injuries!!

I liked and respected Dave Duerson, as well as other players who have chosen to put an end to the suffering of themselves and their families. Your callous and uneducated remarks makes it hard for me to take you seriuosly!!!

July 24, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Troy

Here's my solution:
    Fan Lockout
    A Nationwide. no worldwide fan boycott of the NFL by the fans.
    For far too long we've seen ticket prices rocket up, merchandising become ridiculous, and the integrity of the game itself tarnished by greed, corruption and drama. I'm sick of greedy owners and greedy players who are focused on how much money comes into their pockets to simply play a GAME. I propose we (fans) financially distance ourselves from anything NFL related. This includes all sponsors, events , and items that have the NFL Shield on them. Yes that also includes buying Madden 12, apparel, and attending youth football camps. This GAME and I emphasize GAME has become too expensive for the average working American to enjoy. And its obvious owners and players do not care about the average working American fan.

July 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jon

They can keep their game and their greed, nfl won't make another dollar off me.

July 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon Your Full of It

That's BS. You are not going to stop watching football because of this. If you do then you are the fool.

July 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chiavarm

Look I love football and the NFL. The Owners are relying on the economic problems of average Americans to shame the players to accept less of the pie. It is a money grab for the owners. In these economic times, I would never sign a ten year deal. The problem is the players’ profession deals with the game on the field and they are up against cutthroat businessmen trying to maximize profits. The owners have a ton of resources at their disposal to swindle the players, and the irony is these resources are provided by the very players they are swindling.

Also from what I understand the successful players (the millionaires) are really putting their necks out on the line for all the future players whose careers will be short and will not hit the millionaire status.

Peyton Manning and Drew Brees really don’t need this deal and I am sure if your son were to make to this level you would be sympathetic to the players concerns.

July 25, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. dudley041518

A year without professional football and basketball = a humbler, less self centered America. Baseball players and owners were much humbler and willing to work together after being excoriated by the fan base following a 'strike'.

July 25, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Dustintad

I hope they do miss the season. I am done with football and the greed. Number one, the owners are just that, THE OWNERS... It is essentially their company, the players are the workers, the owners SHOULD be making more of the money, that is how a company works. I do not, however agree that tax payers should be on teh hook for new stadiums. The company (ie owner) should be required to supply their own place of business.... Roshinobi said above, "and you can probably keep your job more than the NFL average of 6 years. It's easy to call other people greedy though, I guess." Really? Darn, 6-years... The money made in those 6-years is more than I will make in my lifetime, and it is more than 50% of america will make in their lifetime. It is not anyone's fault but their own that they thought they needed $100k cars and 10k SqFt houses while the money was flowing rather than preparing for their future like the rest of America has to do. I have no sympanthy for their whining. They are getting paid way too much to play a game. And now they have ruined that for me with their greed.

July 25, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. S

This is a disgusting and barbaric sports. People punching people until they get concussions, bad showmanship, lets not forget when Mike Tyson bit that guys ear. A barbaric sports that must be abolished.

July 25, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse | Reply