July 22nd, 2011

Pentagon certifies military readiness for DADT repeal

President Barack Obama, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen certified Friday that the U.S. military is prepared to accept openly gay and lesbian service members, and that doing so will not harm military readiness, according to the White House.

Under a bill passed last year that set up a process for repealing the controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy, all three men needed to sign a certification that confirms the military's ability to accept the integration of openly gay and lesbian troops.

A 60-day waiting period will now begin before the repeal is fully implemented.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Don't Ask Don't Tell • Gay and lesbian • Military
  1. Johnjon

I'm so happy with today's news, but can't help wonder about all the brave young men and women that were dis-charged prior to today. I hope they know how proud we all are of them.

July 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Good and maybe bad too...i am willing to bet there may be a slight increase in "hate crimes" in the military once gays and lesbians start opening up...it will be a matter of time...

July 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

So, Dave, you prefer it that people live in lies and fear and held in contempt and perhaps even still be subjected to violence is the better alternative? Is that the way to work it?

July 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Not just "good," my friend above.
    Superior.

July 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

Better. Betterest.

July 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Wynton Ben-Wa

This president hates America.

July 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Maybe the most ignorant statement of the day. Congratulations!

July 22, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • stejo

You're absolutely right – I'm thinking you should move somewhere else in protest...somewhere that reflects your views. Iran comes to mind. Enjoy.

July 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thinking7

It sure seems he does dislike America very much. He is doing his best to destroy us from the inside.

July 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnjon

hate is a very strong word................. and I think it applies very well........... to you.

July 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Thinking7,

So trying to get health coverage for more Americans is a sign he is trying to destroy us? So going after the person who caused 9/11 is trying to destroy us or should he not be concerned about bin Laden like Bush?

LOL.

July 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

I say to you, Ben-wa: Balz!

July 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sheryl

Well. I'm not so sure about all this Pentagon stuff.
    I mean, I love fashion, and I have a beautifully designed apartment and all that, but I'm afraid my business may suffer somewhat when the fleet comes to town.

July 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Don't worry Sheryl....I am sure the Navy will allow some sailors to wear pumps on the boat...buahahahahahaha...

July 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BL

As Pat Robertson said, giving gays these rights will destroy our society. But even he admits that gay men would step in and do a lovely restoration.

July 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Pat Robertson is heartless ignoramus that suggested that Haiti victims deserved what they got. Worthless source.

July 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul http://www.youtube.com/ny007ny

If Republicans do not want gays in the Armed Forces they should take their place.

July 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BOB

George Washington would be proud!

July 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

I don't think he'd really care, the slaveowner.

July 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dick

Obviously the President has found his priority

July 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • stejo

yeah, finally keeping a campaign promise.

July 22, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Jose:
    You disagree with this bill?
    Good. There is always disagreement.
    Ya win some, ya lose some.
    You lost this one.

July 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cody

Wait, you mean now I have to serve with the gays? What if they get hit and start bleeding their green acid? I won't be able to put on a tourniquet if they're squirting acid everywhere. Or what if they start making out during a firefight? You know they can't help their gay urges to try to hump EVERY man they see. That's just science.

July 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sissy straight man

...then cover your a$$ and shut up.

July 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cody

So I guess people can't read blatant sarcasm.

July 22, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

And dont let them bite you cody. They are always after brains and if they bite you you could become one. No, wait, thats zombies. Never mind.

July 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

If you see them spurting some of that green acid, catch some of it in a jar and run, don't walk to the News of the World for your payday on the scoop.
      Oops. Sorry. Too late.

July 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perhaps Sometime

Hey C-baby, you're just dying to live your fantasy story we can see! Perhaps one day you will, just maybe!

July 22, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. wendy5

i dont care if your gay or not; but i think the men of the military are not going to like having to take showers ect with a gay guy ; do you think this will hurt enlistments as well as fights and stuff; its seems a little weird to me

July 22, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • BL

I'm not sure, Wendy, but your kinda turning me on a little

July 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cody

I've deployed to some pretty crappy bare bases. Other than Basic, I've never had to shower in public. And in basic, you don't get to sit and play in the shower. It's like 20 seconds, in and out. Even the gayest of the gays didn't have time to check out my sweet body.

July 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wobh

Truth is that they already are... they just don't know it.

July 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thinker

weirdo!!!!

July 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

Well, then, they can stay dirty and unwashed and stinky. Or bathe in the sink.

July 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fraidy Cats

Well, Wendy, of course we have all heard that many of the straight men there are wimps who will start to whimper, shake hysterically, and cry if they have to shower with a G-ay man or perish the thought share a room with him! They will simply be in tears all of the time with hankies by their side thinking submissive thoughts and wishing they were strong enough to fight the tears but alas, they will not be and will have to simply resolve to be subservient to their G-ay bros. Forgone conclusion.

July 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Queen

....because Pat Robertson is the final word on anything, right?
    *Sigh*
    Hello, JIF.
    Agreed: Superior.

July 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Thinking7

So, what now? Will they have to have gay showers and straight showers? I'm sure no straight guy wants a naked gay guy in the shower with him.

July 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • stejo

Straight guys already have gay guys in the shower with them. And since when does what a soldier "wants" matter? Duty, Honor, Country, and what makes me feel comfortable in the shower...oh yeah, forgot about that.

July 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • BL

Hmmm...well, if it serves our country..........

July 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • eJon

They already have gay guys in the shower with them. They just don't know who they are.

July 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

Well, hopefully they'll have sideways showers, ya know, the ones that spray both ways! Those are the best. I just love it when they squirt at my body all over. It makes me feel all tingly. You will too!
      See? A great day for all!

July 22, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Getem Chaperones

Well, Thinking, if those men do not want to shower with G-ays, then they will have to get a chaperone to look after them while they shower to assure that if they drop the soap no G-ay man will take advantage of the situation! Or they could simply shower with their clothes on as some ladies do while in the presence of mixed company. That would solve the problem!

July 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Yankee Lover

A doctor from Israel says: "In Israel, the medicine is so advanced that we cut off a man’s testicles, put them on another man and in 6 weeks, he is looking for work"

The German doctor comments: "That's nothing, in Germany we take part of a brain from one man, put it in another man, and in 4 weeks, he is looking for work"

A Russian doctor says: Russia has you beat, Gentlemen, we take out half a heart from one, put it in another's chest, and in 2 weeks, he is looking for work."

The United States doctor answers and laughs: "You are all way behind us. A little over two years ago in the USA , we took a man with no brains, no heart and no balls, put him in as President. Now, the whole country is looking for work!!!

July 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL

yeah and then Obama won after that President. LMAO AT YOU.

July 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • climber

I think you mean a little over 10 years ago...

July 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJC

This would have been Hella Funny.....in 2002!

July 22, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

Now you are mis-representing yankees, because you can't count. That event didn't happen two years ago, it was clearly almost 11 years ago. I remember it well. We are still paying for it!

July 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • AZPatriot09

Thats perfect.. and so true. And LOL you need to pull your head out of your butt... That is this so called president.. Usless pos.

July 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Currently Serving

Civilians are making more about this than those of us in the military. After 8 years in the military I have work with many gays both in the US military and other foreign services. Those in the military complaining are the ones that complain about everything else and the rest of us do not care. Its really a non issue. Really.

July 22, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • stejo

thanks for your service and for putting this in perspective.

July 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cody

Exactly. I have almost 7 years in and I couldn't care any less. And that's the general consensus of most of the people I work with. Except for, as you pointed out, the whiners.

July 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Currently Serving

No worries Stejo. I love my country and I love my job. I find all this quite amusing. Everyone thought the world was going to end when Blacks and Women were allowed to fight and die for the United States of America and we still stand tall. Diversity is what makes our military great.

July 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |