Your 'Antiques Roadshow' fantasy - those old cups = $1 million
Chinese cups presented in Oklahoma at an "Antiques Roadshow" taping are worth more than $1 million.
July 24th, 2011

Your 'Antiques Roadshow' fantasy - those old cups = $1 million

On Sunday, appraisers from the PBS hit show "Antiques Roadshow" recorded the highest-value collection ever appraised in the show's 15-year history.

The big ticket item: five Chinese carved rhinoceros-horn cups dating to the late 17th or early 18th century, which are worth between $1 and $1.5 million. An Oklahoma resident bought the cups inexpensively in the 1970s, according to a press release from the show's producers. The reason the value of the cups is so high is due to China's growing demand for Chinese antiquities.

The episode will air as part of "Antiques Roadshow's" 16th season in 2012. The name of the lucky owner of the cups was not released.

Post by:
Filed under: antiques • Oklahoma
  1. Nynameis

It was 107 when I left at 4:30 but the Convention Hall was very pleasant. Everyone in line was patient and in good spirits. I went knowing my items were not going to hit any home runs but the experience enhanced my opinion of the show. I saw nothing that resembled an offer. It was very straight forward just as I hoped. I'm just glad I won the "lottery".

July 25, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kyle H. Davis

Oh, you can be sure that the Chinese will put up a stink. Look how far they went with the Italian animal heads, sculpted for a French designed fountain that the emperor dismantled after they couldn't keep it working (20 years before the Opium Wars). – Forget the fact that Han Chinese were stealing and selling off things from their former Manchu emperors... they only focus on the French/British attack on the city, and attribute any newly discovered Chinese artwork as "Stolen national treasures".

This all comes about because of their own shame of the Communists actions during the Cultural Revolution, and how the Nationalists were keen enough to realize it would happen... which is why they cataloged and stored treasures and are now displaying them in Taiwan.

I say we accommodate them by returning all of China's current "national treasures"... cheap plastic toilet seats and children's toys with lead based paint.

July 25, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jimmy

Not to mention the repression like regime spurred on by the fact that Tom Cruse when kidnapped, had to break out of China only after having to create a makeshift defibrillator because the communist Chinese didn't have one in that building that was sort of like a doctors office and his wife had to shock him when he put those wooden sticks in his mouth and she started crying but he didn't die and then they got that thing and it rolled in the street... no, that was earlier. Damn the Chinese, let them have their toilet seats!

July 25, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. n8Dog

What? No figurines of Human Bones?

July 25, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. n8Dog

Just what I always wanted! Little widgest carved out of BONES of another creature! They will match with my Ear Necklace of human king, and Baby Skin Hubcaps.

July 25, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Slapchop

But are they microwave-safe?

July 25, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alvin

and dishwasher friendly....love this comment :)

July 25, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

Isn't it illegal to sell products made from endangered species?

July 25, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • latenight

Depends on when the animal was considered to be endangered...ivory from years ago is not illegal to own/sale.

July 25, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • screambler

i hope not! i have a whole garage full of rhinocerous horn and i was wondering what i was gonna do with it.

July 25, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Collector

Only if the item in question was manufactured after the ban. These are centuries older than any ban on endangered animals.

July 25, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. John

Wrong. The Antiques Roadshow in the UK (where the program comes from) had a painting on about 22 years ago which they valed between 250K and 500K GBP. In 2008 they had another item on which was appraised in excess of 1 Million Pounds. With inflation and exchange rates, that beats the above mentioned listing by a long way.

July 25, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • guest

wow. your life must be so full.

July 25, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Triton

It's a pretty small paragraph to read, but did you happen to notice it is referring to the PBS which is American and the article clearly stated the largest amount on the PBS show. Now we know you can read, how about learning comprehension.

July 25, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Billy G

Not exactually. $1 million Dollars = 612,000 British pounds or 695,000 Euro's

July 25, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. Deb King

Sure sure...1.5 million dollars, however...if it wasn't for that little chip on the underside, they would have fetched up to 2 BILLION dollars.

July 25, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Benny

You didn't watch it until the end Deb. The little white one actually said "Made in Pakistan" on the bottom. Made the new total $35 trillion dollars!

July 25, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bubba

Tragedy... they spent their whole lives living in a trailer park only to find out that those little trinkets that Earl picked up at a garage sale were worth a million dollars....

July 25, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ladylike

I wonder what the owner of these cups will do. I wouldn't hesitate to sell them in a heartbeat.

July 25, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Manny

The weasley looking guy from American Pickers just offered him $300 for the lot.

July 25, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Benny

No. It wasn't American Pickers, it was Pawnstars. They argued that the price was reasonable because they "need to make a proffit on the other side and who knows how long it will stay in my shop before I can sell it." Very expensive wall space there!

Actually saw the guys from American Pickers drive a few hundred miles back to an old fella they got Carnival Posters from and give him 1/2 the money they made selling them to a guy in New York City. Bought them for a something like $100 each and ended up selling them for over $2000 each. I thought that was very noble of them.

Another show where they actually donated a piece they just payed a few hundred dollars for to a museum because it was so rare.

I think the American Pickers aren't too bad compaired to the rest of the leaches on those "reality shows".

July 25, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

bahahaha... too funny. and he wants her to throw in the oil can too

July 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SanFernandoRose

Endangered species in 17th or 18rh century was such a problem then? Wish they had been in my neighbors garage all he has is a lot of old rusted machinist tools

July 25, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. mcwhtieys

These would have never lasted in my house. I don't think we have a bowl or plate that doesn't have a chip on the edge.

July 25, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Logan9773

Looks like dime store junk to me.

July 25, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. chuck

I am 56 years old and I would have been a millionare if my mom would have not through my base ball cards away!!!! lol

July 25, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • major tom

Ditto! I had a Roberto Clemente and a Mets World Series Champs card among my 450 cards. Sniff!

"Uh, mom, where's that shoebox full of baseball cards?"

"Oh, is that what they were?"

July 25, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |