Overheard on CNN.com: Should Breivik be called a Christian fundamentalist?
Oslo shooting suspect Anders Breivik seen leaving court
July 25th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Should Breivik be called a Christian fundamentalist?

Comments of the Day:

"The guy said in his own manifesto that he wasn't a religious Christian, that his affiliation to Christianity was political. So why should we claim the guy?" –bamagrad03

"I find it interesting that when the terrorists are Muslims, people jump all over their faith, yet when they're Christian, they say that their religion had nothing to do with their act of terrorism. Double standard much?"–WillH85

Who is the suspect in the Norway attacks?

Norway terror suspect claims to have worked with 2 other cells

Purported manifesto, video from Norway terror suspect detail war plan

Anders Behring Breivik, a white Norwegian member of the conservative Progress Party, has been charged with the worst violence in Norway in decades. The suspect told investigators he belonged to The Knights Templar, which he described as an armed Christian order, fighting to rid the West of Islamic suppression. A manifesto bearing his name rants against Muslims and their growing presence in Europe.

Descriptions of him as a Christian fundamentalist had CNN.com readers arguing over whether those terms are accurate and relevant.

Yoduh99 said, "His manifesto is not specifically against Muslims but against multiculturalism and the 'Islamization' of Europe, which he believes the ruling Labor Party has allowed; therefore he went after them and their children. He's also agnostic, not a Christian extremist, though he believes in preserving the European Christian-based culture."

Treadmill replied, "I am afraid you are mistaken; read what he said on June 11: 'I prayed for the first time in a very long time today. I explained to God that unless he wanted the Marxist-Islamic alliance and the certain Islamic takeover of Europe to completely annihilate European Christendom within the next hundred years he must ensure that the warriors fighting for the preservation of European Christendom prevail.' ”

SSearthquake said, "Stop calling him 'right-wing Christian fundamentalist.' He crossed the line and he is nothing but a terrorist and whatever his views are, he cannot be defended." indigoth replied, "I disagree. He claims he was a Christian and there's no reason to think otherwise. Sure, he committed a very un-Christian act, but that doesn't change his religion. He is a 'right-wing Christian fundamentalist,' but he is also a terrorist."

faisalsh said, "Christian leaders often blame Muslim clerics of sympathising with the cause of the terrorists. I think that these events are very sad, however, it drives home the point that no terrorist belongs to any religion." IxNay said, "He is a Christian, but not one you would call a good Christian; remember that when you hear that someone is not following the tenets of Islam and you feel the need to berate the whole religion."

Suburbanite1 said, "Real Christians don't kill kids in the name of Christianity." BMILL said, "An awful lot of people who considered themselves to be Christians have killed a remarkably large number of people over the centuries. In America, you have to look no further than what happened to the Native Americans for evidence."

LonnieD5 said, "lol. Religion has nothing to do with this. It doesn't matter what religion you are, anybody could have something cause them to snap. The guy was a psycho; that's all there is to it. If he is a Christian, it's not even relevant."

kris5967 said, "I hope the Religious Right (and all religious and patriotic people, for that matter) can learn from this tragedy. This man acted from a jumping off point of religious zeal and patriotism and he let it take him over the edge. His religious devotion became intolerance and his patriotism became xenophobia and hatred. Let him be an example to us all of what not to become."

GameIsOvr said, "The same thing could happen here. This lunatic simply took Teabagger values to the next level. Anti-immigrant, anti-tax, pro-Christian, and xenophobic. All right-wing, conservative, Republican values."

MartinOM said, "This is the result of extreme views. Right-wing or left-wing, it makes no difference. Intolerance is not the answer."

'Can I touch it?' The fascination with natural, African-American hair

In a CNN.com story and video, women of color told of how returning their hair to its natural texture sometimes causes strangers to reach out and touch them. Some think the response is funny, but others are angered by what they think is latent racism. CNN.com readers, however, said it had nothing to do with race and everything to do with harmless curiosity.

ankelly said, "Give me a break. Why is it that black women are the only people who complain that others touch their hair? As a curly redhead, I have had my head touched a lot since I was a baby, and I don't feel wronged or write articles about exploitation. Pregnant women have their bellies touched all the time. If you are going to spend time writing an article on this, then knock off the racial victimization and keep the bigger picture in mind."

cpg352223 agreed: "I'm a white guy who had well-groomed shoulder-length hair in my early 20s. During a couple of summers spent on an inner-city youth project, African-American kids - children and teenagers alike - were continuously asking to touch my hair. Why does everything have to be about race relations? Blacks and whites have different textured hair and simple curiosity is just that."

maggitsmom said, "It's just curiosity. When I visited India, a few people asked about my blond hair, and some even touched it. Yes, it invaded my personal space, but I wasn't offended. They had simply never seen a white/blond person, in person, before. Can we please stop turning everything into racism?"

AshKetchum said, "I am African-American and I have natural hair. I get how this is an invasion of personal space, but I don't agree with it being a racial thing. Black and white people want to touch my hair all the time. But some people have rude tendencies to just want to touch people without permission. My white friends especially tell me how soft my hair is, like their soft lamb toys they had when they were young."

puddytat said, "As a black woman I have the urge to touch the hair of complete strangers of different ethnicity. I'm merely curious. I'm from the Caribbean and we've got a beautiful mix of people - blacks, whites, Indians, Asians. I once sat on the bus behind a guy with locks, and I reached out and touched his hair without permission. I felt terrible doing it, but curiosity got the better of me. I should've asked first. But as humans we come in all different colours and shapes and textures and sometimes we just want to know what the other 'feels like.' The person being asked does not need to be so sensitive. It's just hair. ..."

1. gung hoe

And oh ya anti phillip what i was refering to is that when jesus died for our sins hey even yours the laws in the old testament was erased with jesus blood for me and even you and everybody so please educate yourself b 4 you go om a rant

July 25, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anti-Gung Hoe

@gung hoe: He did not die for our sins. He was charged with a crime and executed. Even if he died willingly it makes christians no better than the pagans they loathe. Many pagans had human sacrifice too ya know. Many pagans sacrificed animals too, but there is also animal sacrifice in the Bible. Abel sacrificed a lamb to God and God was pleased.. The God I know wouldn't demand any of his children or creatures to be killed in his name. Apparently all these poor children in Norway were "offerings"..

July 26, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. The Måd Råp3r

Why isn't there a blog on here about Glenn Neck calling the victims of the massacre "Hitler Youth"? I'd have thought CNN would've clamped down on that like a great white on a surf board.

My 2¢, Eff Becky, he's always been nothing more than a dirty little animal, but publicly beating him in print is usually a relatively satisfying piece of sport. Gdiaf you jingoistic piece of bacterium excrement.

July 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. walterbyrd

On page 1403 of Breivik's manifesto, Breivik flatly states "I consider myself to be 100% Christian." Christians can be mass murderers. Hitler was a Christian (although a lot of Christians like to lie about that as well).

July 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. leeintulsa

@walterbyrd: You actually read it? I tried but the cover page was all i needed to know i was wasting time..

Or did someone else just tell you where it was, and you cut it out to proclaim 'how he is', like so many do with so many books...?

July 26, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • gillian

Leeintulsa uhhh did you miss the part about hitler being christian

July 26, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lemming Cult Member

Why yes I'll follow you.. Off this cliff? Sure! There's food and women down there right?

July 26, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. fernace

I've never read so much "head-in-sand-denial" as in the last few days! I'd like to point out some facts, if I may. Anders Breivik calls himself a christian many times in his manifesto, often in conjunction with the Templars & "soldiers for christendom"! The bible & history books have recorded many incidents of violence perpetrated by christians in the name of God. These are true facts & to deny makes christians seem a little off! This in no way means all christians are violent extremist, which I think is the reason for all the denial! Christians don't want to feel that way about their fellow believers or themselves, so it's best to deny! But it's really best to face the truth, that terrorists can lurk behind the most familiar face!!

July 26, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. gung hoe

To anti gung hoe the sacrificeing ended old testament jesus was the once and for all perfect sacrifice that is when the sacrificeing ended Now fernace if i did that crime and i was a soldier or even a boy or girl scout does that mean that thats how group feels idont really think so

July 26, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. gung hoe

Also to anti gung hoe i am truly sorry for your luck with what has happened in your life But please believe me i can relate as to what you are saying i have not had a cushy life myself but looking back the lord was with me all along it was me who denied him in my life and as for the people kiking you when you was down alot of people like to say they are christian until it comes time to act like one but dont worry they will have to answer for their faults If two tomatoes on the vine that have ten are rotten does that make the other eight bad no Well same with christians god be with you brother

July 26, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. parlayinit

Right wing, left wing! Tell me please, who is piloting the fuselage of AIR-RELIGITICS that determines this aircrafts wing alignment? Curiosity will be the talk after my personal fuselage gets its own set of wings and I can fly,unimpeded,to where ever and when ever I want. Want to touch it? LMAO or FMAO.

July 26, 2011 at 4:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. the bible?

For all of you, and all of you who claim to be followers of Christ who have been told that the account of Adam and Eve is a "story-lesson", take a look at Luke chapter 3. Jesus' forefathers are listed there, from Joseph all the way back to Adam. Adam was real, just like the other names. Show this list to whomever told you that Adam was just part of a story-lesson, and ask them if Luke wasn't a real person too. Talk anout comspiracy theories, sheesh.

July 26, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I'm up early.
    I just read fernace's making too much sense for television at 1:14 AM, and banasy's admirable hawking of logic earlier.
    Everything somehow keeps coming around to the Bible for most guys and girls here.
    I'm going to the gym soon. Big week of work.
    I'm not learning much here from most pens, a lot of which seem to be filled with alcohol. There's a lot of frustration that prompts people to tell me how to live.
    I wonder why I'm doing so well on my own.

July 26, 2011 at 4:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. the bible?

The idea that a handful of men conspired and conjured up a man named Jesus who then conspired and contrived a set of high moral values and lofty ethic to hurt people thousands of years later is rediculous.

July 26, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Philip

Isn't it rediculous Joey? That Jesus conspired to hurt people, and used such an lofty ethic to do so? Or do you perhaps think that it is today's religious leaders, with such low ethics and morals that are doing the damage.

July 26, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Philip

Odd how people here make fun of some of us who believe in God, yet they tout President Obama as an highly inteligent man who can lead an entire nation, yet he himself is a believer. Why do they not "expose" President Obama for believing in the 'wolf god'? For swearing an oath to God with his hand on the bible, for repeatadly saying "God bless US" at the end of his public addresses. If you don't believe, how could you vote for a man that does? (and keep a straight-face while doing so)

July 26, 2011 at 5:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    Unless you're a troll this morning, you know me well enough to know I'm not concerned with Obama's religion at all. I don't care if he worships Wotan–in fact, I might like that.
    The only way I can take the Bible seriously is the way the Episcopal Church does: seriously, but not literally.
    I hate to repeat myself, but I'm going to do it: an Episcopal priest told me that she believed that Heaven was "here." I believe (!) that sometimes it can be.
    Unfortunately for my communication with others here, my concept of Heaven's being "here" (now) includes my celebratory attendance at my gay friends' wedding.
    Martin Luther did a lot of good things for Christianity.
    When J.S. Bach was writing some of religion's greatest music (for Lutherans), he wrote a chorale prelude that confounds many organists because it seems so unmusical. A Bach expert with a direct line of instruction from the composer showed me, when I was eighteen, that it is to mock a Jewish religious leader's pounding the floor to emphasize points of the Ten Commandments (after Christ had come to fulfill the Law).
    We get a lot of Law and Prophets on this board in place of Christ.

July 26, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse | Reply