Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. gang of six

there was talk of a deal of 800 billion in new revenue with the 3.7T cuts and obama asked for 400 billion more in new taxes to offset his spending thats why he walked out

July 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbo

President Obama asked those making over $250K and the oil company's to pay their fair share. Rush and his kind are only feeding lies to protect the oil company's who are making the largest profit in the history of the world, while getting hand outs from the government, and all this on the backs of the middle class and the poor.

July 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • cpk

Jimbo- It would be great to stick it to the rich. But the problem is that a downgrade will cause the stock market to crash. Have you sold your stocks? I think not, nor have I sold all of mine (though maybe I should). So we too will get caught in the carnage if/when a downgrade ensues.

July 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy Jones

The problem is so massive that our elected officials cannot comprehend it. Scale it down for their brains, and tell them that a great percentage of the population has been dealing with their own debt ceiling. They have gone into foreclosure, or a short sale. They have had to give up their homes and move to apartments, if they are lucky enough to still have jobs. The problem is that our elected representatives have lost touch with what the country has been through. Unless you want to put another couple of million people out of work and out of their homes or on the street, they better get this right. Honestly does anyone believe that we can come out of this with just cutting expenditures? If they do, they should run for Congress or maybe even President!

July 26, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • cpk

Yeah, Judy. I was thinking something similar as I went home from work today. I just don't see how the government is going to be able to avoid a downgrade. That's all it will take to wipe out the stock market and push up interest rates. Sigh.

July 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Angie

I think that we had better make sure that we do not vote for any of these people again. Come on people this is OUR country-They work for us, or should. They don't understant money because they are all millionaires. I can not support 2 households if my parents do not receive their social security checks. If that happens do I sue the government if they still take money for social security out of my check. With the way that the govt works with this social security money isn't that a ponzi scheme and if so, why are they not in jail. Us, the people-are getting what we wanted. We are to lazy to take a stand and now everyone wants to gripe. I don't know what the answer is but Dem and Rep. better start working for us and they won't until they understand that. I thought they should have let everything fall in the fall of 2008 when the housing market started falling. Maybe it needs to fall now. If we don't compromise we are just going to compound the problem. We should close the borders -no loaning money and no giving money and get out of these wars! When we figure all this out then go from there. We can't pay our debt but we will give money to Afghanistan or any other country but my parents may not get a social security check and my dad fought for this country. This is a sad time in American history.

July 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jk

`Stop the social securitychecks for tea party people. Stop them from using Medicare. They hate government except when it helps them. That Eric Canter. What a terrible person he is. I recall him texting during President Obama's State of the Union. Would it hurt someone like John McCain with 17 residences to pay a little more. I wish I earned enough to pay more every year.
    Let's be hones they hate Obama. It's all about that.

July 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine

I don't hate Obama- but I despise Socialism. I know you like it, but I am far too familiar with that form of finely dressed fascism to find it acceptable. I would be happy as hell though if I got the 190,000.00 I have paid into Social Security back! I could pay off my house and rent it for 2000 a month, and make 24,000 a year for 27 years before I even qualify to get my Social security back!

July 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave R.

Absolutely correct!! If Tea Partiers do not want to pay taxes, should have to pay a toll just to put their car on the street in front of their house.

July 26, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine

Yes! And if it is a road I built, you should have to pay a toll for using it. I figure in the property tax savings alone (3000 a year) I could actually afford valet parking.

July 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. S C Leeer

My husband and I tried last night and this morning to email our Senator Richard Burr from NC. Web site down. We finally called his office, also our rep. office, Sue Myrick. We want them to stop this madness and vote for our President`s plan . Everyone in NC is not a tea party member. We do vote and we r just sick of this.

July 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peter Kooperman

RS, CA: You are just plain evil. This is NOT a game.

July 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. richard

Regardless of your position. It is blatently apparent that the current number of people in Congress does nothing but hold up progress of our once great country. If these politicians fail to actually compromise and do what is proper for the country. Republican or Democrat should have their own job and position threatened. The people should put forth a national proposal to slash the number of seats in Congress in half. They've already proven that the current form of Government is too big. Let's get rid of half of them and their staff... this should be the very first 'budget cut' put forth if they cannot do their job anyways. Once their own jobs are put on the chopping block, anybody want to bet if they'll wake up ?

July 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bill

The only way Obama gets to keep spending is if tax hikes go into effect. Tax hikes will kill the economy. Close the corporate jet, big oil loopholes and other special interest loopholes, but no tax increases on Americans or small businesses! Cut spending!

July 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bulldog

The Republican party has let the extremist take over – on several levels. The Tea partiers are just economic anarchist. Lets see how they do when we take away their Social Security or how they do when they can't get medical ensurance thru their employers (because their company decided to increase profits by cutting medical insurance). Other members of the Republican party have obviously sold their souls to big corporations. Companies have recorded record profits, while polluting drinking water (see the oil companies and Fracking) but some republicans want to do away with the EPA (See Bachmann)?? Really??? Can you say "bribes"? Or how about "campaign finance reform"? or "Sell out"?? The republican party has become a disgrace – and BTW: I'm a registered independent.

July 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine

Actually most of us have worked hard- bought our homes, set up our retirements, planned our long term health care. Now we are being told we need to pay more and do more, sacrifice more so that those who have done none of what we have done can have all of what we have. Taxed Enough Already.

July 26, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lee

I hope all of these congressmen and Senator find themselves unemployed the day after re-election day-Karma Is A Bit#h

July 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marine

The biggest indication too me was in the presidential speach when listing the spending he was going to cut he listed Tax "breaks". A tax break is when I dont pay taxes on the 3000.00 in property taxes on my house, and the 6000.00 in income taxes to my state because it isn't counted as "income". The reason it isn't counted as "income" is because if I dont pay it somebody with a badge will take my house or my freedom. Thanks for the "tax break", but that really isn't "cutting spending" if you decide I should in fact pay taxes on money I didn't make.

July 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Andrew

I think it's time for a strong third party in American politics. These two parties are not representative of the majority of the American population. I mostly blame the Republicans, and namely the tea partiers in the House, for this debacle. Even Republicans from the 80s and 90s who were part of those budget wars are scratching their heads and saying that the Obama plan would normally be a victory. I think multiple parties will give more opportunity to Americans With a far smaller chance of one party running the entire federal government, I think lawmakers will be much more likely to deal with each other and individual Americans will have more choice in choosing a candidate that represents them more closely.

July 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Andrew- A STRONG 3 party sounds good to me.

July 26, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. James

The biggest problem here is not actually the financial crisis that's going to arise if they can't prevent a default next week. It's the fact that we are going to be very vulnerable to market manipulation by countries with large amounts of treasury bonds. If, after a default, China and Russia dump their treasury bonds, it will destroy the economy here. We'll be in about the same position that Russia was in when the cold war ended. That is, if it doesn't lead directly to another world war. This is pretty troubling stuff when you consider that it could happen as early as next week.

July 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peter Kooperman

gman90210: $250K is a heck of a lot more $$ than $25K raising a family of six. Are you for real?

July 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lee

People need their SSI Checks unless the government will pay for rent,food,utilities,clothes.

July 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. franklyfedup

When did the rich become creators of jobs? Much of the wealth in this country was obtained first by slave labor.
    The next phase of wealth came from slave wages. Many (poles,italians,irish,chinese,etc) worked for slave wages to create a wealth class. The formation of unions created a middle class and helped bring safety and environmental regulations for we the people. To avoid unions the rich next used illegal labor (mexican,child) to increase their wealth. When we the people objected, the rich shipped the jobs overseas(no regulation,cheap labor,child labor,no taxes). The rich are not creators of jobs but the exploritors of jobs.

July 26, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine

So you took Markism 100 at the community college but didn't actually finish the book?

July 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89