July 28th, 2011

Judge allows polygamist sect leader to represent himself

[Updated at 1:26 p.m. ET] Texas Judge Barbara Walther has granted polygamist sect leader Warren Jeffs' request to represent himself in his sexual assault trial.

[Updated at 11:50 a.m. ET] Jeffs told a Texas judge Thursday he has dismissed his defense attorneys and wants to represent himself in his sexual assault trial, saying if he does not, '"true justice cannot be served."

[Posted at 8:57 a.m. ET] Opening statements could come Thursday, authorities said. Lawyers are scheduled to argue about a defense motion to suppress evidence that authorities seized during their arrest of Jeffs in 2006 in Las Vegas. After that, the jury will be sworn in and and opening statements will start, court officials said.

Jeffs is charged with two counts of sexual assault on a child and one count of bigamy stemming from a 2008 raid on a ranch operated by his church.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Polygamy
  1. fernace

Some of the posts here are hilarious, thanks for the laugh! But on the serious side, it seems to me much of this Yearning For Zion Ranch sect is a front for Jeffs to engage in s. e. x. with minors! I don't care what living arrangements consenting adult agree to, & I don't know why polygamy is punishable with jail time, but when kids are r. a. p. ed the law must intervene! It is a plus for the prosecution that Warren Jeffs will be his own counsel!

July 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Madame Royale

Why is it only men that can have many spouses?
    Why not the women?
    I can guess as to why: the men want to make sure any children are their's.
    Rubbish.
    This is just men wanting schmex with a variety of women, and all of it be covered by their religion.
    What's good for the goose...and all that...
    I call a foul!

July 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harold

@Madame: I'm a young man still and I've had many relationships that were mutually toxic. I hate piggy men as well as women. At the end of the day I want one love and one wife eventually, until then I will see what's out there. I still don't get why some people marry when they clearly aren't the marriage type. If you want to play then don't get married.

July 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Madame Royale

@fernace:
    Agreed.
    And, hi.

July 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Madame Royale

I really don't think it's Zion they're Yearning for...

July 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Meyers' Idol

@Madame: Many if not all earthly religions seem to be herding lemmings off a cliff. I'm cool with just being a believer and being as good and kind as I can be. If I need to jump through hoops that are never ending then it's not God making me jump it's probably the other guy.. Not the man, but the legend.

July 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cartman

yeah.

July 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lynda

Does anyone know if his trial will either be on TV or online? If so, what channel? Thanks.

July 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

Hail to her grace Madame Royal! Lol! They're most definitely not yearning for Zion! But this polygamist thing does work for women too, if you stand up for your rights! For almost a decade I had 3 FWB! They knew & respected eachother & dated other women, if they felt like it! Safety & fun was on the agenda & I can see how this would be a cool lifestyle, especially if all have their own homes! I will never marry again, but I wouldn't mind having that arrangement again! Think God will send me 3 cool dudes if I pray 🙂 !?

July 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Sorry Furnace not this guy. If we weren't on this planet and nobody lied or played burn the Weiner for fun then I really wouldn't care what people did, alas this is no perfect world.

July 29, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. leon lally

Warren Jeffs eats more pu55y than cervical cancer!

July 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Madison L

Another huge pass along of misinformation that news outlets continue to accept, that the LDS church doesn't PRACTICE polygamy anymore..

NEWS FLASH

The mainstream Mormon church STILL BELIEVES in the doctrine and principle of polygamy. It was put ON HOLD for Utah to become a state. It is STILL an eternal principle and teaching. Any educated mainstream Mormon can affirm that.

FACT: my father was allowed to marry another woman IN THE TEMPLE after my mother divorced him civilly, but remains his wife on church record... and he has BOTH WOMEN on his church record that are HIS in the afterlife. And guess what? If my mother were to come back into the church, she WOULDN'T be allowed to be "sealed" to another man.

The Church is half lying when they try to make good PR by saying they "banned" polygamy. Such crap.

July 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |