July 29th, 2011

'Breast Milk Baby' manufacturers to display toy at Las Vegas expo

Children no longer have to deny their dolls the benefits of breast milk.

A Spanish toy manufacturer will begin U.S. sales next week of a classic baby doll with a high-tech twist: the simulation of breast-feeding. Berjuan Toys will be at the ASD trade show in Las Vegas, which starts Monday, with hopes of meeting with retailers who might want to sell the Breast Milk Baby. Those who don't want to wait can buy one online.

HLN's Robin Meade and Jennifer Westhoven couldn't agree on how they felt about the toy.

The doll, which comes in six different combinations of race and gender, comes with a cropped shirt that makes possible a toned-down version of nursing. In the news release on Berjuan's site, the company explains how the toy works.

"The Breast Milk Baby simulates the breast-feeding process by including a fashionable halter-top that a young girl can put on like a vest, and when she brings the Breast Milk Baby doll’s mouth up to the pretty flower decoration on the vest, the doll makes a soft, suckling sound," the announcement says. "The two flowers on the halter are positioned where the nipples would be, and when the mouth of the doll is brought close to the embedded sensors in the flower, the baby makes motions and suckling sounds."

Berjuan's announcement acknowledges the mixed responses that have been aimed at the Breast Milk Baby.

"Some critics say that the doll [is] over-sexualizing young girls or forcing girls to grow up too quickly, but the company and those in support of the doll say that it teaches young girls natural motherhood," the news release says.

No word yet on what this will do to the market for imaginary baby formula, nor on what the proper etiquette is for breast-feeding one's doll in public.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. RUFFNUTT

I'D LIKE TO have some of that milk with my chocolate chip cookies...

July 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Madame Royale

*Facepalm*™

Um, that's imaginary milk, Ruffie, to go along with your imaginary cookies...

July 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Madame Royale

I figured you would jump right on this one, Ruffie!

July 29, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. madame Royale

Part of me thinks this is a good thing, as it will promote breast-feeding in a natural way that's fun. Most baby dolls are sold with bottles.

And then, part of me just thinks this is weird.
    Here's hoping Little Timmy's parents do not buy him one...

July 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. CSnSC

Ha ! Thanks for the laf. But I think i'm a little wierded out by this doll.

July 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. An unnecessary money making gimmick

I am a mom and am breastfeeding my 7 month old baby. My 3 year old has been watching me do this from the get-go and has, on more than one occasion, reenacted this with her own baby dolls, without having this unnecessary and yes, weird gimmick on her dolls to assist. Breastfeeding is natural and nuturing, however, kids' imagination is more than adequate in this scenario. This creepy doll is not needed to 'promote' breast feeding. FAIL!

July 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Centrist

BOOOOOBIES ! YES !

July 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Centrist

I hope the zoomers will be lifesized so more people can enjoy them.

July 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. quan024

this has just gone too far. a natural way to learn natural breast feeding? i think our children should be tought that when it cmes to adult and motherhhod.

July 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. raven

Wierdest toy with the most repulsive name. ever .what next, Lil Miss Diarrhea?

July 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Celi

Girls learn to be good natural mothers by having a good mother in their life, not by a doll! We shouldn't be trying to teach motherhood, instead we need to raise intelligent, powerful women. If and when they choose to be mothers they should have already learned those skills from their own mothers, grandmothers, etc. Also, Women have natural motherly instincts that kick in as soon as we conceive. This doll in my opinion is gross, unnecessary, and plan weird!

July 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Madame Royale

Hi, raven!
    They had a doll like that a few years back; it would soil the diaper.
    That was disgusting!

@Unnecessary:

I agree it is a fail, but what about the kids who are not exposed to breast-feeding, like only children? Do you think it would 'promote' it then?
    And, even though your child is exposed to your beast-feeding your younger child, would you buy this doll so your older child could imitate you?
    Just wondering; I am genuinely curious.

Celi:

Agreed, but it is marketed towards a child, not the adult she should be when she conceives.

July 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

July 29, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Tara

The doll is unnecessary. Children will imitate what they see. I even have pictures of my sons nursing their stuffed animals alongside me nursing a younger sibling! Gross? No, imitation of adults is natural. I doubt any little girl will decide to breastfeed or not based on whether or not she had a bottle or breast fed dolly as a child.

July 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jazzzzzzzz

Women have been doing just fine with mothering our children every since the being of time. To much too soon if you ask me...let them go out and play and not get bogged down with that till it's time.

July 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply