July 29th, 2011

'Breast Milk Baby' manufacturers to display toy at Las Vegas expo

Children no longer have to deny their dolls the benefits of breast milk.

A Spanish toy manufacturer will begin U.S. sales next week of a classic baby doll with a high-tech twist: the simulation of breast-feeding. Berjuan Toys will be at the ASD trade show in Las Vegas, which starts Monday, with hopes of meeting with retailers who might want to sell the Breast Milk Baby. Those who don't want to wait can buy one online.

HLN's Robin Meade and Jennifer Westhoven couldn't agree on how they felt about the toy.

The doll, which comes in six different combinations of race and gender, comes with a cropped shirt that makes possible a toned-down version of nursing. In the news release on Berjuan's site, the company explains how the toy works.

"The Breast Milk Baby simulates the breast-feeding process by including a fashionable halter-top that a young girl can put on like a vest, and when she brings the Breast Milk Baby doll’s mouth up to the pretty flower decoration on the vest, the doll makes a soft, suckling sound," the announcement says. "The two flowers on the halter are positioned where the nipples would be, and when the mouth of the doll is brought close to the embedded sensors in the flower, the baby makes motions and suckling sounds."

Berjuan's announcement acknowledges the mixed responses that have been aimed at the Breast Milk Baby.

"Some critics say that the doll [is] over-sexualizing young girls or forcing girls to grow up too quickly, but the company and those in support of the doll say that it teaches young girls natural motherhood," the news release says.

No word yet on what this will do to the market for imaginary baby formula, nor on what the proper etiquette is for breast-feeding one's doll in public.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. gung hoe

I dont find it neccasary my little barbie learned how to nurse little kenny just fine at least thats what i thought they was doin

July 30, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

For that matter i think its time to go and practice nursing on the wife hey dont laugh at least i practice on my wife NOT My DAUGHTER Or SON YOU PERVERTS

July 30, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. maria

I see why there is mixed reactions,on one hand we would like our children to be natural and excepting of breastfeeding but unfortunatly it may stimulate the sick minds that are out there to see a young girl with a suckling babydoll on breat might attract perverts..

July 30, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. zena

Not cohesive. I will now speak my motto. What is wrong with the moral and sociially accepted these days? Why do the supposed adults have to be told in writing,spend thousands of $ for therapy , and yet still dont get the basics of life?

July 30, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kristen

Awesome! I'm pro-breastfeeding! I think it's great! Breasts actually do have a function and it is to FEED a baby not men.

July 30, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. MyTwoCents

I agree that imagination is enough. Breastfeeding is natural and of course, not gross. But the doll is over the top. A few of the comments are a little over the top as well. YUCK.

July 30, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Mom of six

I disagree that it is yuck. I had my first child very early and breastfeeding wasn't working like I thought it would. Not only that, but there was not a lot of encouragement from others and I didn't have someone to look to for help besides the nurses in the hospital. What would I do when I got home? So I quit trying and came home with a bottle-fed baby. The same with the next two. By the time I had my fourth it was being more encouraged so I decided to try again. I wish I had stuck with it the first time. It was AWESOME!!!! Also, I wanted to say that I did have a friend years ago that nursed her 3children (1 girl, 2boys) and the girl would nurse her doll. I think that this would encourage soon many to nurse or at least try and not think that it was nasty. Of course proper etiquette is needed. Like a shawl should be provided so they know they should throw it over the shoulder in public since some are uncomfortable with a nursing woman.

July 30, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chuchi

The breast milk baby or BEBE GLOTON a breastfeeding doll is selling on amazon and ebay

July 30, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. chuchi

you can find this doll on AMAZON and EBAY but only the original version not the one created for the US market

July 30, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

I suckled oN my wife all morning brkfst of chanpions yum yum

July 30, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Madame Royale

@gung hoe:
    I suspect that you are joking...because if you wife is actually breast-feeding YOU, she's taking away nourishment from your kids.
    What you're describing leads to the *creation* of kids...
    It's all good.
    Except for the breast-feeding *you* thing, of course.

July 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gung hoe

Madam royale wanted to see who i could get goin hope i didn sound as stupid as some trolls that you can just tell are kids sorry that was a first had a wild hair and the article set it off once again sorry

July 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Madame Royale

@gung hoe:
    That's okay, my friend. I know you're not a troll. I've seen you here many times.
    Actually, RUFFNUTT does the same thing all the time!
    Breakfast of Champions cracked my ass *up*, btw....

July 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Madame Royale

...and we all get wild hairs up our butts at times...that's how we stay sane in an insane world!

July 30, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sir-mixa-RUFFNUTT

i like big brest and i can not lie..

July 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |