July 29th, 2011

Settlement brings relief for vets with PTSD

Relief is on the way for  more than 1,000 Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement announced Friday by a veterans advocacy group, those veterans will now receive lifetime disability benefits.

The National Veterans Legal Services Program said the U.S. military violated the law by failing to assign the veterans a 50% or higher disability rating that is needed to qualify for benefits.

"These veterans served our country in time of war, but have waited three to eight years to receive the disability benefits which they've earned for their service," said Bart Stichman, co-executive director of the veterans advocacy group.

"Today, a terrible wrong to our nation's war veterans is being righted," he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Justice • U.S.
  1. donnamarinchekmarn01

Money doesn't take away the Horror...they have witnessed...Does it?

July 29, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Centrist

They are just being whinny crybabies. Wanting something for nothing.

July 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • VeteranAndProudOfIt

Regarding your comment "They are just being whinny crybabies. Wanting something for nothing." Nothing could be further from the truth. Patterns of human behavior tell us that there is a very small minority that will jump on the bandwagon and act as you suggest; but please, don't pidgeon hole the entire group like this. I don't care how macho and brave one thinks he or she may be...there is nothing more traumatic than combat! Where is your compassion.

July 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • ArmyGrunt

Cry babies??? You must have never served in a combat zone. Go spend a year in Iraq, then see if you come home the same. Oh, I forgot, you don't have to because Mommy and Daddy are paying for your college and your new suv.

July 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Centrist

I have played Call To Duty Modern Warfare enough to know what real combat is like. These sissies just want a handout.

July 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cranky

Obvious troll is obvious.

July 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SP5 William J. Zobjeck US Army

PLaying a video game is a laugh. How about living with the knowledge that the lady who cleaned you hooch or the man who cut your hair was waiting to shoot you or worse - every day; every night ?
      Real combat is kill or be killed and there is no reset button.
      You are obviously so young and un educated that I would not want to go into combat with you - except maybe to put you out on ponit as a target.

July 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. michaelfury

July 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Centrist

No way hosay. I have an XBox 360 and everything. Me and my brother get to play it 2 hours a day. Im getting good.

July 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CSnSC

@Proud Vet, thats just a troll playing around. Ignore it.

July 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat2u

I truly am proud to see the government taking the plight of our veterans into consideration. What I want to to know is why we viet nam vets were so villainized and ostracized ? We could have used some support when we returned also. But noooo, we were spit on, called baby killers and in general treated like trash. Thank you President Obama for finally showing us a little regard.

July 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Madame Royale

@VeteranAndProudOfIt:

Thanks you for your service to our country.
    Centrist is an obvious troll.
    He has stolen that name from a much more intelligent person.
    Just ignore the little lad...school will be in session soon and we can get *our* relief from children like it.

As for the topic at hand:
    Good.
    These veterans deserve every benefit as well as our thanks for serving.

July 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Madame Royale

Hi, CsinSC.
    Hi, bobcat2u.
    Nice to see you both!

July 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

Hello your highness. Good to see you again.

July 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CSnSC

My Father in-law is a Viet nam vet. I thank him often. Greetings your Grace. Is it just me or do we need more good news ? I'm getting down rite depressed lately.

July 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

Hello CSnS. Your Father-in-law is another of the unsung heroes. I hope he was able to overcome the trials.

July 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ajd041

Well enjoy the money while you can and my grandpa served in vietam and died two years ago looks like they're too late for him

July 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I am truly sorry about your grandfather. It's a shame that the government has taken so long to acknowledge our efforts. Many of the viet nam veterans have indeed passed away because of the governments refusal to recognize the poisons they exposed us to. Most of asked for nothing on our return. But we sure didn't expect to get treated the way we did. But that was many decades ago. So I hope the support will continue fo our new warriors.

July 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. USMCE5

I also am a VietNam Era Veteran, and I have suffered with PTSD all of my life. Although I was fortunate enough to be near a military base and able to access some help from the military, but for the most part I had to count on my own insurance to be able to recieve medical help and medicine to help me through the last 40 years. I am noe 57 years old and completly disabled, mostly fro PTSD and I have yet to recieve any compensation from the VA. It is a life long ordeal and for many of us a real problem.

July 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • SP5 William J. Zobjeck US Army

Brother, WRITE ME ! We walked in the same red mud. I will listen, I can understand, I may be able to help.

July 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • SP5 William J. Zobjeck US Army

Brother in Arms – my email is j34ntt3@yahoo.com

July 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • SP5 William J. Zobjeck US Army

Brother in Arms – my email is j34n3tt3@yahoo.com

July 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Centrist

Video games are way dangerous too. Much more so than one would think. You can injure your hands and tendons. Plus you can get in lots of trouble if you play longer than your mom says you can. Moms can get really really mad. Plus the games are very realistic and can cause trauma an anguish.

July 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SP5 William J. Zobjeck US Army

44 years ago I went to Vietnam.. 43 years ago I returned. In that year the young person I was died inside. That young person could never live in the world I live in today. Every day I relive that year. I always will. I live on knowing that at least in my soul I carry honor for those who never returned.
    Go to "THE WALL" – read the 58,000 names of those who served for this country. Think about the millions who witnesssed those times. "Cry Babys" no that's the name of those who never served. Sign up, go there, come back and try to fit back into this world.

July 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

AMEN brother. You never are the same. War is something I would never hope anyone would have to go through, but ANYONE who calls our heroes crybabies, should be the first to have to experience it. Then, you come back here and give us a first hand account.

July 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Centrist

You would really be suprised at some of the games. Some are way scary. About monsters and creatures. Ive had many a bad dream when i was littler from playing these. Nightmares ! I need some recompensation ! And a milkshake !

July 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |