July 29th, 2011

Settlement brings relief for vets with PTSD

Relief is on the way for  more than 1,000 Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement announced Friday by a veterans advocacy group, those veterans will now receive lifetime disability benefits.

The National Veterans Legal Services Program said the U.S. military violated the law by failing to assign the veterans a 50% or higher disability rating that is needed to qualify for benefits.

"These veterans served our country in time of war, but have waited three to eight years to receive the disability benefits which they've earned for their service," said Bart Stichman, co-executive director of the veterans advocacy group.

"Today, a terrible wrong to our nation's war veterans is being righted," he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Justice • U.S.
  1. Centrist

Ive walked in the red mud too. It almost sucked the shoes right off my feet. We were out riding mini bikes and got stuck. Wooooo i got in trouble.

July 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Centrist

My dad says when i get 17 i can join if i want too. He said it will be good for me. 4 more years till then. Hope my mom dont nock my head in afore then ! : ) Just kidding. She is too nice. I am blessed to have her. Plus we are blessed to have US vets. Sorry for trollng. You guys are heroes. Thanks.

July 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Centrist

US Military VETs are the reason a dummy like me even has the freedom to come on here and type. They are the real heroes and we owe them everything !

July 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

Thanks for coming back down to earth for a bit and offering your acknowledgement.

July 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SARGE

Back in the day i was over in the AN HOA basin and me and some brothers were out on LRRP duty. We had been in the field for 3 or 4 days. Not long. We came up on this village full of neekkked swedish stewardesses. It was incredible.

July 29, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SARGE

I still dream about it. Those ladies were shapely blonds and naakkked !

July 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SARGE

It really messed up my secks life. Now I have a hard time being with normal looking wimmen. It takes 4 or even 5 stewardesses to get my motor running.

July 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CSnSC

Good afternoon bobcat2u thanks, he thinks about his time there every day. About 10 yrs ago he started talking about it. Thats helped. God bless all who served. And to Hell with those who cant appreciate their sacrifice.

July 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I'm really glad to hear he is talking about it now. This may sound bad, but encourage him to keep it up, and once he can talk through his very worst memory of that time, then the healing can begin. It also took a lot of years for me to come to grips with that reality. Good luck to him and god bless.

July 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CSnSC

And thank you to the vets who were treated with such disrespect. Both the ones who left everything 'over there', and the ones that brought home more than any young man should ever have to carry.

July 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Madame Royale

CNN's computerized filters are the stupidest things ever. I can't post anything, and it is totally p!ssing me off!
    I guess you can say I'm throwing a royal hissy fit.......

July 29, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CSnSC

YRH, if you're using an asia n country you may need to misspell it. j-apan, Vie tnam.

July 29, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Victor Whitmore

We learned alot fron the viet man error, but there are American Veit nam Vets, still have been left out of the loop. 38 years of fighting for what the VA hospital calls that I have PTSD, 38 years of fighting on back injuries beginning in the military, 38 years and counting. Working with alot of the people, have had their claims for many years, but I keep getting dumped to the bottom of the pile.

July 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TMcT

Maybe they can fix the future same problem by stopping waging st upid fu cking pointless wars in sh ithole countries. 3 years in Vnam turned my father into a totally screwed up, crazy person. If this country actually gave a sh it about its citizens it would stop sending them to either di e or come back totally messed up by the horrors of war, both of which affect that persons entire family and their lives as well. Money doesnt make up for destroying people over the selfish, pointless agenda of a few in power. In the off chance any religion ends up being right, I hope its one where those in charge of starting the wars and sending the people end up spending eternity feeling every ounce of pain they have ultimately inflicted on everyone on all sides.

July 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. E5Mouse

Viet_nam grunt 68-69 with two Purple Hearts,and 100% disabled! it took me 15 yrs,and 4 wifes 5 kids,and 6 grand children to make me realize why God let me live!

July 30, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Judith

Only took me one grandchild.

July 30, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Madame Royale

@Judith:

This comment cracked me up!
    Having been recently become a new Grandma, I agree completely!
    You actually made me do a spit-take with my coffee!
    Well done!

July 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. CSnSC

Thanks bob. years ago I heard about his worst memory from a third party. Dont know if I'll ever be ready to hear it.

July 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |