Gotta Watch: Shark Week!
August 2nd, 2011

Gotta Watch: Shark Week!

Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" is upon us. In honor of the yearly tradition we have compiled our favorite shark videos.

Synonymous with summer, "Shark Week" has become a staple of many people's summer vacation. Who knew that a string of programming that started in 1987 as filler in between network seasons would turn into a yearly phenomenon followed by millions of diehard shark enthusiasts? Nothing to scare you away from the beach like a week full of endless shark footage, right? Take a trip through shark alley and check out our favorite shark encounters.

Great white shark attacks boat - A great white shark off the coast of Australia chomps on a boats propeller, giving the pair of boaters quite the scare.

Swimming with the big fishes - A kayaker in Florida gets the rare chance to observe a massive basking shark in the wild.

Surfer tapes great white - A surfer in California tapes a great white shark as it swims just feet beneath him.

Family witnesses shark attack -
A family witness a great white shark attack a seal off the coast of Massachusetts.

Shark swims into fresh water river – A fisher catches a bull shark that made its way up the Potomac river.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Gotta Watch • Sharks • Uncategorized
  1. USMC79

Shark Week is so stupid! It's the same damn thing every year. You have the show about rogue sharks, the great whites feeding on seals, and some shows about shark bites. Why do people still excited about "Shark Week"???

August 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

100% agree. after the first viewing... rather boring.

August 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • DevilDog76

I don't know. Why do people get on here and pìss their pants about a show? If you don't like it, don't watch it. If your not sharp enough to figure that out then there's probably not a lot of hope for you. Also, if the show wasn't entertaining enough people I doubt it wouldn't have been going strong since '87.

August 2, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fernace

I love sharks...from a distance, that is! When "Jaw's" came out my then b-friend took me to see it! He was all macho, going "if you get really scared you can hold on to me"! Guess who got scared!? :D He jumped at every noice, squeeled like a girl, almost broke my hand from holding it so hard, & practically sat in my lap! LOL! He'd hate me for sharing that story, but it was eons ago & I'm not telling any names, so he's cool! & he was still my b-friend for a1 year after that! He was still really cute & s.e.x.y!!

August 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • seemstomeguy

noice. what is that, some kind of shark?

August 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lonely

Many of us in the building next to Discovery in Silver Spring anxiously awaited the display of the shark on the Discovery building.

What a huge disappointment this year......but we still love shark week.

August 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CSnSC

@fernace, lol. That was my first R rated movie I took a date to. Wait, that wasnt a theater in Liburn Ga. ya went to, was it ?

August 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT

shark meat is good...

August 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NotnowNotnever

Why do the sharks get a whole week!? Can lobsters get a week? Please.

August 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

@ CSnSC, why does it sound like you? Lol! No, rest easy, it was in Houston, Tx. :)

August 2, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. s kel

mob week on amc would be better.

August 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Micke

You heard that Song of week for Shark week Shark bite by Gemstar?

August 3, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Wael Soly

Good position! Thank you for authoring the idea. I respect you making the spare time to scribble this outstanding facts and strategies. I've come across internet site which may support the actions you really have created here:latest swimming news at K2!

January 19, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |