August 3rd, 2011

UN condemns Syrian government crackdown on protesters

The U.N. Security Council on Wednesday condemned the Syrian government's crackdown on protesters. The council issued a presidential statement that condemns the widespread violations of human rights and the use of force against civilians by the Syrian authorities.

The announcement comes amid talks that began Monday in New York to address the crisis, and it would address what a White House spokesman is calling a "grotesque and appalling" situation.

It also comes as security forces brazenly advance into what residents there say is the heart of restive city of Hama, a center of discontent and bastion of anti-government protest where violent tensions have persisted for days.

U.N. Security Council prepares breakthrough statement on Syria
Post by:
Filed under: Syria • United Nations
  1. Curious

Oh Lord, another middle eastern conflict where we can drop million dollar bombs on hundred dollar mudshacks.

August 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Dave

Wow, big deal, the UN is so useless, The USA could save millions by withholding funds from this organization. They waste most of the money they do collect. We should kick them out of NYC.

August 3, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Naor

It took the UN months to condemn this barbaric Syrian crackdown, were troops were and are purposefully murdering their own civilians for the sole crime of dissenting from their will. It took under two weeks for the UN to condemn Israel after we defended ourselves against Hamas terror in 09. Hypocrisy at its best.

August 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Marc

my big reaction to this "breaking news" is:

SO WHAT?

Not because it is irrelevant as a news topic, but more so as what this "condemnation" can accomplish......

August 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. RUFFNUTT

Just why isn't the UN comdemning the crackdown in Yemen by this rotten Ali Abdullah Saleh nor by the cursed King of Bahrain there? This smacks of a double standard and it stinks to High Heaven!!

August 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. adam

This whole this guy "condemns" "hails" bull is stupid.
    What is this, the middle ages?

enough of the derp talk and start doing something.
    I can "condemn" the 40 year old child molester down the street, but nothings gonna get done unless you call the 5-0 or break his legs with a baseball bat.

August 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Johnson

Who realy cares in the free world.

August 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. George Patton

I am sorry to be trolling Joey and RUFFNUTT. I can’t help myself. I have a “problem”; I have to steal the names of the more interesting people on here because I am deadly dull myself. It’s something I’m in therapy for, along with my unnatural attachment to all things Tea Party, and my obsessive, strange love for my mommy. Forgive me.

August 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jedd

The UN should get some countries together and missle and bomb Syrias military which is surrounding some towns and pulverise them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

August 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dan

I dont care how sovereign Syria is. Nothing excuses this massacre of the people of Syria. Come on tanks?! Anyways yes i think Assad is giving a foot about condemnations, the more they come the tougher he gets on the people. When did genocide become OK?

August 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Bush

Remember that you don't have a brave President like me. If I were president Syria would be history. Obama does not have the balls to do what I did. I'm not afraid of these arab sissys

August 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • adam

obvious troll is obvious :p

August 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • WWE

@Bush: If you or Obama were real men then you'd challenge your enemies to a caged ladder match where the loser gives up power.. A fight to the death, or you could fight for souls.. Grrr..

August 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dan

Oh and by the way, perhaps it wouldnt be so bad to take action and then blame someone else, just like they are doing over there.

August 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. rm1007

Syria issue needs to be addressed diplomatically and immediately. UN security council has become a farce and a play ground for some nations. Given Pakistan's sacrifices over the past 30 years in assisting the world in Afghanistan and all over the world, it should be given membership in the security council in recognition of services rendered for the promotion of global peace.

August 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Put up or shut up

Ooooooohhhh.. A condemnation! That'll solve something. Why don't you send in some peace keepers to stop all the bloodshed? Never mind it was a rhetorical question.

August 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. raven

@bellabivdevoe: That girl is poison brings back a lotta memories!

August 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply