Bruce Lee memorabilia goes to auction
August 6th, 2011

Bruce Lee's jacket sells for $77,000

An American couple submitted the winning auction bid for a flamboyant fur-lined blue jacket worn by Bruce Lee in his final film appearance, entertainment website NME.com reported Saturday.

The martial arts movie icon wore the long blue jacket in the unfinished film "Game of Death" as well as at the premiere of his best-known film, "Enter the Dragon."

The auction winners bid $77,000 for the jacket, BBC reported.

Phila China auction house of Hong Kong sold a dozen other Lee items, including a neatly written 1966 letter detailing plans and hopes for his budding career, for a total of more than $217,000, according to BBC.

Lee grew up in Hong Kong before moving to the United States in his late teens, according to imdb.com. His acting career was kick-started by his role in the one-season series "The Green Hornet," in which he played valet/bodyguard Kato. His films include "Fists of Fury" and "The Way of the Dragon."

Lee died in 1973 at age 32 of cerebral edema caused by a bad reaction to medication, according to imdb.

Post by:
Filed under: Auctions • Hong Kong • Movies • Showbiz
  1. Biggfoot Yowie

Damn socialists trying to say what is and is not a good thing to spend money on. I'll spend however much money I want on whatever the hell I want, and NO, I DO NOT want to pay more taxes so the less can have more.

August 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

Ha ya!

August 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Miz banasy

One doesn't have to be a 'bleeding heart liberal' to be compassionate.
    I agree, when one earns their own money, on could spend it as they please.
    And guess what?
    I guess I must be a conservative bleeding heart liberal, because I *do* have compassion.
    And that sounds like something you lack, GP. Idiot.

August 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Måd Råp3r

Pffft, who cares? This belongs in marquee anyway. TJI blog should be covering the Tottenham riot so I can be all, "Yeah! Burn baby, burn! Welcome to the revolution mofos!"

August 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Miz banasy

How is it that a rather harmless thread on a jacket can cause so much chaos?
    Leave politics out of it!

August 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Saiorse

Where's Kato's mask???

August 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. HIKER

@ Saiorse...some dumb a-s-s stole it for his S&M games

August 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Måd Råp3r

Where's my riot coverage? That's it i'm starting it up right here, right now! *throws gas bomb @ biggfoot yowies post* "Yeah let's set it off people! No justice, no peace!"

August 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. yada

@ RTD2 I don't use the power of the gvrnmnt to take other ppls money. I've always worked for a living. @ Brevig No. I don't think you OR the couple that bought the jacket are bad. I think their purchase is frivalous but that's just my opinion. Your bike serves a real purpose and I'm sure you had to work hard for it. @ Paul and banasy lol Great posts and thank God for ppl with sheer wit and a sense of humor. @ GP I bred them and I fed them. I have a right to my opinion and with all the things going on these days, this story just reminded me how rich ppl sometimes tend to throw their money around. That is their choice and their business. However, the rich in our country need to be paying their FAIR SHARE of taxes as well! That's all I'm trying to convey. "Thou who calls one a Loser is a Loser themself." Book of Yada. Cheers!

August 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • HIKER

hey next time would you do the 9@ so and so) in a style like this
      @ so and so
      @ so and so
      looks better and easier to follow and read.
      or am I just being a dumb a-s-s LOL

August 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • toddrf

@yada – what exactly would a "fair share" be for the so-called rich to pay? Right now, the top 10% are paying 70% of federal income taxes, while the bottom 51% pay none. Frankly, I think it's dangerous that we have half the population with no skin in the game. To paraphrase Margaret Thatcher, "The trouble with socialism is that eventually you run out of other peoples' money".

August 7, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. yada

Thanks for the tip, Hiker. I'm new at this! lol

August 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HIKER

Banasy does it all the time and I see nothing but letters when some one post likes that. Hmmm, wonder what that means?
    why the u/n yada?

August 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HIKER

compartmentalizing...that's it, just came to me! what do you think...ANYONE ?

August 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. leeintulsa

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring...

August 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Miz banasy

@HIKER, et al:

I do this because I'm on my mobile and the mobile site does not have a reply button.

August 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HIKER

@ Lee...LMAO hey girl whatta up!

August 6, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |