August 7th, 2011

Verizon workers go on strike

Verizon workers, including call center employees and cable workers, have gone on strike. The move could cause delays in service, according to a report in the New York Times Sunday.

The workers are associated with the Communications Workers of America and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers who disagree with concessions that the telecommunications company wants to make to employee health care coverage and pension plans. The strike covers workers from Massachusetts to Virgina, the Times and the Huffington Post reports.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jackson

LABORERS LOCAL 472
    Did anyone take part in the teleconference to congress? If so, how was it???
    July 23 at 7:19am · Like ·

Andrew Berko Notice you said teleconference...who do you think brought your dial tone? Thats right, Union workers. Stop crossing UNION picket lines. We have pics of you scabs.
    3 minutes ago · Like

August 17, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CWA Supporter

Jackson, do you have permission to reprint material from Facebook ??

August 17, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. linemanVZ

Don't hate unions because of the way they operate. Spare me the envy and the whining because you aren't in a union. You have no unifying force to insure that you have fair wages and good benefits. My job can't be outsourced because last time I checked, you can't move a telephone pole or a manhole overseas. Wireline is the foundation for wireless. Both are needed for Verizon to remain profitable and operate it's network. It's ridiculous for anyone to continue the silly notion that there are so many unemployed that can replace me. Come get my hooks and try climbing a pole in the middle of a rainy cold night on the side of a road, so that your neighborhood has phone and internet service. After you travel in my boots for a few days, then you'll agree that I deserve a decent hourly wage plus over-time after 40 hrs. You will also agree that I need good medical insurance/disability/pension, etc. because my skills not only involve my head, they involve my body as well. Verizon became profitable because of my labor and the union not only wants to preserve my position, but also to have me fairly compensated. And you will too after a few more weeks of poor or non-existent service service and unsafe practices.

August 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

The union only wants your money, and the sooner you stop drinking their koolaid, the sooner you will realize that.

August 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Evelyn

To all you folks out there who say "They should be happy to have jobs, or fire them" Take this into consideration, if the CWA_IBEW members do get fired there is no guarantee these jobs will stay here in the US, positions such as customer service, repait, technical support, billing, due to today's technology these type of position can be done anywhere, The CWA-IBEW workers buy products and service in there local area if these jobs are gone think of the domino effect, they cant spend money because they are out of work, they can;t go to the grocery store, leaving business at the grocery store low, making them fire peoplr or go out of business, same with realestate in you area, no work, cant pay mortgage, loose home causing other homes in the area to loose value, The middle class made this country, built it up from the days of child labor and horrid working condition, to what we have today. If we allow these greedy corporation such as Verizon ruin the middle class wher would the country be, the poor and the rich thats it. CWA-IBEW is not asking for more money, it not asking for a better isnurane plan, they just want to keep what they have now, so they can continue to support not just their local communites, and america, Veriaon as well as othert fotune 500 company make billion a year pay thier top managment employee millions, again these jobs leave the US, these people will have no one to manage, again changing the economic climate as we know it today, So please before you make comment educate yourselfs, basic economics 101 no work equals no revenue equals economis diaster

August 18, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sean Timmons

So, in order to do a job that requires climbing a pole, one MUST work in a Union. This is reasonable? Please take a note from the Autoworker's Union. Notice what happened to Detroit. Look at the Airline Industry. How are the union airlines doing? If you didn't work for a union, would your job performance change? I've found union workers are more likely to do less. Because there is no incentive to do more. And, funny thing, we have one union worker saying you can't outsource their job, then another saying what if the jobs are outsourced? May want to work out your dichotomies.

August 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

Sounds like extortion to me.

August 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jackson

Mike Poaletta
    Another business to avoid is East End Auto Sales/ Valley Towing at 150 Merrimack St in Methuen Ma. After a mobile picket the owner of these two companies, Ronnie, came out and was verbally abusive and tried to pick a fight with the Mobile picketers! Avoid this company at all costs and feel free to call them at 978-682-5283 at let them know you do not appreciate them abusing union members and you will by your used cars elsewhere!

August 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jackson

Read this article it's really informative about how these unions REALLY operate

August 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jackson

Jennifer Hickey
    I found out today that there is going to be some "ANTI-UNION" IDIOT speaking in the parking lot where Outback and Roche Brothers is in Burlington MA at 8am tomorrow. Wear your red shirt and go SHUT THIS SON OF A B**** DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The address is 34 Cambridge Street, Burlington
    5 minutes ago · Like · · Subscribe

Dwayne A Innis Make sure this a** has his facts straight. Give 'em HE**!!!!!
    2 minutes ago · Like.

Jennifer Hickey I say make so much noise that nobody can hear the bull**** that is drooling out of his mouth!
    a few seconds ago · Like

August 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

Keep drinking that union koolaid. Are they paying you while you are on strike, NO. Is the union still taking their dues from you, YES? Who's the smart one now, taking care of themselves, and not you?? Good call, strike during a recession, you all deserve to lose your jobs.

August 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

Why do you have to shut him down, are you afraid he might be stating some facts that you don't want people to hear?? He has every right to speak, just like you do, and if you don't like it, don't listen and shut up yourself.

August 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jackson

Rob Richard
    On the phone with a scab now to cancel my DSL. I can tell he's trying to suck up to me and be over the top nice. B******
    2 hours ago · Like · · Subscribe

2 people like this..

Rob Richard ‎..and either my cell dropped or he hung up on me.
    2 hours ago · Like.

Ronald McFarland Hahahha
    about an hour ago · Like.

Rob Richard Back on with another scab. Surprisingly I'm getting through quickly, though it's taking forever for them to cancel.
    about an hour ago · Like.

Alison H. O'Meara Of course.
    about an hour ago · Like · 1 person.

Rob Richard Ok I've had it... I canceled my service, but the rep told me I have to pay a $10 ETF...I wasn't in the mood to argue about that so I let it go. When I got my confirmation email it said it was 110. So I called back to confirm and I've been hung up 3 times because each and every time it's obvious they have no clue what they're doing, and they're dumping the call. This last time I was just hung up on by the automated system.
    about an hour ago · Like.

Jan Vrotsos Hey Bob call our bank and tell them not to allow the EFT withdrawal..its being disputed
    about an hour ago · Like.

Rob Richard What bank? I'm not actually an employee, I'm former.
    about an hour ago · Like.

Jan Vrotsos oh ok..thought you said they were takling electonically 10 bucks out of your bank and now saying 110?
    about an hour ago · Like.

Rob Richard No, she told me I'd be billed $10 and then when I got the confirmation it was $110. So it will just show up when ever my bill posts online.
    about an hour ago · Like.

Rob Richard By ETF I mean early termination fee.
    about an hour ago · Like.

Jan Vrotsos sorry..i jumped the gun there..good luck
    about an hour ago · Like · 1 person.

Jan Vrotsos I hate them so much i immediately thougt electronic transfer funds lol
    about an hour ago · Like · 1 person.

Rob Richard lol hell no, I'd never let them take payment automatically
    about an hour ago · Like.

Jan Vrotsos good for you...I thought i hated them or the 40 yrs i worked there, but now, there are no words for them after what they are doing to the employees
    about an hour ago · Like.

Rob Richard so the rep lied to me and it's $110, not $10. and I JUST got disconnected AGAIN.
    about an hour ago · Like.

Jan Vrotsos good luck, im sure they are just hanging up on you...
    59 minutes ago · Like.

Ronald McFarland Dirty dirty. U can't be the only one this is happening to
    44 minutes ago · Like.

Rob Richard Number 8....
    43 minutes ago · Like.

Earl Dick-Meyer Keep 'em busy
    20 minutes ago · Like.

Lea Anne Langville ask for a managaer lol
    about a minute ago · Like.

August 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jackson

Rico Shay
    This strike is but a battle in the ongoing war between the workers and the bosses. Final victory means the emancipation of humanity from the chains of capital. Final defeat would spell absolute disaster and a completion of the spiraling decent into barbarity.
    a few seconds ago · Like · · Subscribe

Barbarity, haven't these union brothers and sisters already gone there???What's this dude talking about Barbarity???

August 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jackson

Mecca Ali
    ‎...was having lunch with McNair Scholar Executives at Rider University...and guess what I see...a Verizon Scab having lunch near me! Uuuuggghhhhh!!! This idiot was oblivious to the photo op that he was obviously the center of. He didn't even blink when the flash went off...Duuuhhhhh!

4 minutes ago via mobile · Like · · Subscribe.

Steve Martin SCAB
    2 minutes ago · Like.

Randy Trezak eating a scabwich
    about a minute ago · Like.

August 18, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jackson

Mike Moran
    i just heard from a manager that in new jersey ibew workers are crossing the line on jobs that are sent out from the union hall

Paul Feeney Send that comment to our International Pres. Ed Hill, he has instructed all locals not to perform struck work or with Verizon scabs.
    12 hours ago · Like.

Paul Feeney Let's nip this quickly!
    12 hours ago · Like.

Earl Dick-Meyer He was just there Monday to stop that crap. 4 days later they are disrespecting their president?
    12 hours ago · Like.

Earl Dick-Meyer There were IBEW Locals crossing earlier it was posted on here. Pres. Hill was supposed talking to their BA's. 472 laborers were doing work as directed by their bosses and suppossedly breaking down when informed they were doing picketed work.
    12 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran paul u would know how to direct the message better than i, so u take it and run. again this is what was told to me by a manager that is working a 1500 pair failure with ibew guys .
    12 hours ago · Like.

DjTruth Mainstreamdjs I was there ..They Didnt Break down until They Completed the Job

DjTruth Mainstreamdjs and it was Local 472
    12 hours ago · Like.

Melanie Di Giglio Call the local, inform them and move on 😉 Let IBEW deal with it internally!
    12 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran well in nyc i have been told that local 3 electricians have crossed our lines as well

Scott Warn Scab bags.

DjTruth Mainstreamdjs And One Guy had the Balls to have a
    Sticker on his hard hat that said "No Scabs"
    12 hours ago · Like.

Paul Feeney Mike, send any info. to my email: Paul.Feeney@verizon.net and I'll get it in the right hands.
    12 hours ago · Like.

Scott Warn That would've been a picture to take. I tagged a bunch of them as scabs on their FB pages
    12 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran ok paul i will somehow copy the texts and get them to u, all i know for sure is the job he is working on is in edison new jersey
    12 hours ago · Like.

Earl Dick-Meyer What pressures can IBEW AFL-CIO put on these scabs? I mean is there anything like pulling bonds or something? If a Local gets its charter revoked what are the ramifications. Or do the higher ups threaten to remove officers from their positions and thereby coerce them to keep their shops in order?
    12 hours ago · Like.

Sharon Laramee I just have to point out.... I just heard from a manager... let's not jump to soon, we need to make sure this is true and deal with it if it is, but let's not forget the managers are trying to turn us against each other. They are tired of the 12 hours a day.
    12 hours ago · Like · 2 people.

Mike Moran the manager is a friend of over 30 years, so i do trust him, he doesnt want to be out there
    12 hours ago · Like · 1 person.

Karry Chico Brown GREAT SHOW! Rent a cop shold have letem leave after ole boy shoved dude in the face.
    12 hours ago · Like

Tina Rizzo what state???????

Mike Moran new jersey
    11 hours ago · Like.

Lorelei Brearley Mcentee GDamn it....we all are suffering and fear losing everything but we are starting to get our voices heard...SAVE THIS COUNTRY for our future and our kids future! I hope those of you who cross cant sleep at night knowing you are cowards and failures...I want my husband back towork but I wont let him sell his soul!
    11 hours ago · Like · 6 people.

Gregg Fisher The Jedi Have returned...we will defeat the Evil Empire!
    11 hours ago · Like · 3 people.

Alison H. O'Meara dont you mean....Have returned Jedi, evil empire defeat, will you.
    11 hours ago · Like.

Kendra Whitaker Mike why are you on this page ? You are not a union member.
    11 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran really then i should ask for all my dues money to be returned to me
    11 hours ago · Like.

Melanie Di Giglio Kendra, this page is not exclusive to union members. It's a public group that anyone can view or ask to join.
    11 hours ago · Like.

Kendra Whitaker Mike crossed the line in Maryland.
    11 hours ago · Like.

Anthony Sorrentino there are some of us in new jersey trying to put an end to this bull****
    11 hours ago · Like.

Lorelei Brearley Mcentee ok lets play nice or bow out....
    11 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran also kendra, how the he** do you know who i am. oh really well it's pretty hard to do that all the way from nyc. so get your facts straight
    11 hours ago · Like.

Kendra Whitaker Mike you pay dues because in Maryland everyone pays dues .
    11 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran last time, i am in nyc so read before you type
    11 hours ago · Like.

Patty Renchiwich Barrow There are alot of locals (scabs) crossing the lines. Ed hill is aware of it and put warning outs in I think it was sundays papers. Local 164 was crossing in northern nj. Some of these scabs are even working out of there personal cars. The scab hunters are on top of it with there cameras
    11 hours ago · Like · 1 person.

Mike Moran good job, scab hunting is fun
    11 hours ago · Like.

Elena Muscarella Listen up – EVERYONE! SCABS WILL PAY!!!!!
    11 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran i dont like someone saying i crossed the line, there are many people with the same name.
    11 hours ago · Like.

William Cheeseman I can vouch for mike I work with him in NYC not Maryland. You have the wrong guy
    11 hours ago via Facebook Mobile · Like.

Mike Moran thanks cheesy
    11 hours ago · Like.

Kendra Whitaker Well if this is truly not Mike Moran that works in MD than I apologize .
    11 hours ago · Like.

Mike Moran accepted, i would like to travel down there and have a few words with your mike moran though
    11 hours ago · Like.

Mike Dennis Kendra, no one in Maryland would be caught dead in a Yankees cap!
    11 hours ago · Like · 1 person.

August 19, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jackson

Jack Crook
    Is on the way to Dartmouth to hunt SCABS....!!!
    8 minutes ago · Like · · Subscribe

Heather Havey Sanson likes this..

Jack Crook Anyone know what the bag limit is when hunt'n scabs?
    5 minutes ago · Like.

Heather Havey Sanson No limits, git er done, tell Boss Hogg FU for me, buzz cut too
    3 minutes ago · Like.

Debbie Stephenson Harris Just don't add the details of your "hunt" or any future intentions on FB because the company is terminating employees through the mail!
    2 minutes ago · Like

August 19, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jackson

Steve Capella
    Local 1102 posted this on their Twitter feed this AM....."We are asking everyone following a car doing VZ work to get a picture of the license plate so we can report them as insurance fraud pass on"
    5 minutes ago · Like · · Subscribe

August 19, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Massive Marbles

Billionaires & Millionaire's don't ya just lov'em? Bank accounts and bank vaults lined with ALL THAT CASH. And just because they want to keep it that way, the Verizon family of workers suffer! I'm sure that the Republicans just want you all to stop griping and go back to work!!

August 19, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |