August 7th, 2011

Verizon workers go on strike

Verizon workers, including call center employees and cable workers, have gone on strike. The move could cause delays in service, according to a report in the New York Times Sunday.

The workers are associated with the Communications Workers of America and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers who disagree with concessions that the telecommunications company wants to make to employee health care coverage and pension plans. The strike covers workers from Massachusetts to Virgina, the Times and the Huffington Post reports.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. CWA Supporter

Keep drinking the Verizon Kool-Aid, haters...There's a 75 hour minimum wage per week job right around the corner for you....and your kids.

August 17, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. VZisGreed

Kati! Amazing post! I am sure many of us were told as we were starting to take jobs "NEVER PAY TO WORK" ... Thats what Verizon is asking us to do. the 100 concessions they have on the table, would essentially have us paying to work. Moving our jobs over 35 miles away. Who wants a 3 hr commute 1 way, to get to their job? That isnt the job I was hired for? Everyone needs to make the decision that is right for them. I would hope anyone would say, regarding any change in job, pay, etc "is this the right move?" ... so ask yourselves, would u ROLL OVER and let the company you have worked for for years, take 100 things away from you? Allow them to force u to drive another 60 miles a day? To make you pay for your health care? To allow them to take your holidays? Your Pension? Your overtime? Your premium pay because 'based on the needs of the business" they need coverage on a Sunday? To take all of the things that you, your brothers and sisters, worked to earn for over 50 years ... but the rich guy w/the limo, that makes $55k a day, says he cant afford to pay u those things anymore. You can rest assured, if verizon were to win this strike, you wont get a reduction in your phone bill. They raise rates every chance they get, because they CAN. The CEO of verizon is NOT your peer. WE, the people currently losing pay to stand up for AMERICAN RIGHTS, are your peers.

August 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

you guys are all complaining about how you have to pay 100$ woahhh! So much. no its not. i've seen verizon wireless workers driving porche's to work. they cost alot of money. if you make enought money to afford one of those you can surely pay 100$. and i mean the workers that the half of you are harrassing are trying to feed their kids. you dont know what their life is like at home. i mean they neeed that money. their not trying to be "scabs" their trying to pay for there family's and to put food on their plates.

August 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kati

@VZisGreed – thanks! I'm just trying to put things in the lamest terms as possible. American seems to forget the reality that verizon has the financial means to "put out" whatever information they deem necessary to make it look as if we aren't grateful to have our jobs. Shame on them! I mean look @ Jacksons comment about $100 not being much to pay. What people don't realize is that verizon is out right lying about that! It's far from that amount and only the union workers know that's not true.

August 17, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. galvodog

well, we did have a woman flash us her bazoongas on the other side of the picket line. maybe he did mean LOOSER

August 17, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bob

The stupity of some of these comments is truly mind baffling.. To the union bashers... Do you not realize... The defacation rolls down hill?? This country is waiting to see what happens with this strike.. We have a President who in the worst economy this nation has seen in quite a long time, saying he is for the middle class. During his election promises, he stated that he would be the one on the unions side and put on his comfortable pair of shoes and walk the line with us... Not sure about anyone else, but I have yet to see him... One of my favorite memories here is... Wall St... Where all the money is.. Where all those executives trade their monies for mmuch higher amounts of money... During the most tragic time in this countries history, 2 planes flew into the World Trade Centers. This destroyed all telecommunications need for Manhattan. Yup, NO CELL PHONES, NO EMERGENCY LINES... NOTHING... The Verizon Central Office which was located at 140 West St... Was almost destroyed beyond repair...NOTHING BUT A MIRACLE would get that ever working again... That miracle came wearing red... CWA & IBEW union employees had the network structure up and running in 4 days... FOUR DAYS... I do not think one single executive was crawling around the manholes... Breathing that toxic air... fast forward 10 years and its all forgotten.. They had 1,800 pair cables running down the side of the building... 4 days and Wall St was alive... What do you think, if something of the magnitude happened again?? How about floods, earthquakes, fires or any other disaster? I betcha every one of you union bashers would pay your last dollar to us union workers, to talk to that family member just one more time...

August 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Unbundled

@ Don .... On here you represent the bully that weighs 500 lbs driving an $80k pick up truck across 4 lanes of traffic that will yell .... You're lazy, get the (expletive) back to work. Let me just say this. I am Union proud. If you feel the need try to blow out my candle to make your own shine brighter, keep trying. You want what union workers have then form/join a union. Don't expect me to lower myself to your level. Raise yourself to mine! Or you can continue to be enslaved by Corporate Greed. It's all about choices DON. CWA Local 13500 and UNION PROUD.

August 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • galvodog

unbundled.. can i quote you? thats a nice line

August 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. galvodog

interesting.. webster also defines a scab as: a rascal or scoundrel;
    a disease characterized by crustlike lesions on the affected parts and caused by a fungus or bacterium

August 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Verizonmanager

I hope Verizon doesn't budge. Those union members are the biggest idiot bullys. Welcome to the real world. Everyone pays health insurance.. YES tomorrow is 1st week with NO PAY!! can't wait to walk over to the credit union and get my $$.

August 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • VZisGreed

RIF RIF RIF .... You think they appreciate you??? hahaha

August 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kati

Yes and when you collect that $$$ tomorrow, don't forget to put some of it away for a rainy day as you can get riffed at qny time there buddy. Then what?

August 17, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Verizonmanager

Also, why do service reps need a union LOL.. Idiots. I hope this lasts til xmas. Hopefully Verizon hires off the street. They would be happy to make 35k and pay $30 a week for health insurance. Reps in my office are making 60k and doing nothing. Bang in sick like 5 times a yr 5 days at a time.

August 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

you are a manager in an office where your workers only make 60k? WOW, you must not be very good at your job... You are a MANAGER... It is YOUR duty to get those workers into work and not use absence... It is YOUR job to make them WANT to work for you... Cleraly, RIF is a acronym you will get to know VERY well in your future...

August 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Ya know, I have to laugh even harder, that you actually admit to being a Verizon Manager... The abilities of Verizon Management are in their full glory on YOU TUBE... Just do a search for Verizon Scabs... It is hilarious... These videos alone show that Managers are in Management, because they have NO CLUE as to how to do the job... SO, since it is proven through many, many videos that the managers are working unsafe and taking 3-4 of you to do the job of 1 field tech... Mr Verizonmanager.... Your only job is to MANAGE people... And your are complaining about how they do not want to work for you, hence your absence comments... Be proud...

August 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Verizonmanager

OMG i started to watch those youtube vids but they are sad. The union guys are so embarrassing following people around. Go find a new job or something. How about the one where there are people standing in front of the truck. Wont let the guy back so he just drives and runs the guy over! That was awesome. What do you expect? You are standing in front of a truck you idiot. I hope when the strike ends managers follow the union guys around and harrass them.

August 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kati

Oh and I'm sure that you don't want verizon to give in, why would you? Working those 80+ hours a wk is probably the only amount of real money you'll ever see from verizon!

August 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Verizonmanager

THey are maxed out. They are lazy IBEW workers. Feel they have to do nothing.. The union is such a joke.. Well id rather get riffed than be a member of the greedy union. Pay for health insurance will ya. Everyone else in the world does.

August 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Pay for health insurance, everyone else does... hmmmm... I would have an extremely easy timeof doing that, had I not known the profits Verizon makes... That our CEO makes $55,000 a day... I LOVE the managers... I really do, so what you may take as insults arejust the reasons I llove y'all so much... What level manager are you?? 1st levels are great.. the people who work for them, generally make more than they do. They are "YES" men and women who shake in their shoes whenever word comes down that a 3rd, 4th or (oh no) a 5th level is coming in for some reason. They are handed sandwiches made of CRAP and eat them... THEN, ask for MORE... I would rather be unemployed right now, fighting for what is right, than employed and kissing... whatever it is you have to kiss on a day to day basis... Please do not deny it... It is seen every single day, by every one of your employees... and we laugh at you... It is proven right NOW... WORK 72-84 hours a week of find a new job... Thats GREAT!!!!

August 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • VZisGreed

SERIOUSLY???? Verizonmanager???? Are you calling union workers bullies??? Look what we are subjected to while working ... being followed by management ... even to a bathroom. Dont dare take more than a 3 min bathroom break! Dont be 1 min late signing in. Dont keep a customer on hold for more than 90 seconds without updating them. The list is endless when it comes to the pettiness and micromanagement of the VZ 1st levels! I have been bullied by more than 1 vz manager in my 11 years with the company!!! I dont think 1 union person has said we wont pay for benefits, I am sure most of us are willing to agree to SOME premium, however if you READ (sorry, I know literacy is not your forte' ) it says "at least $100" ... NOWHERE in the list of concessions VZ wants back, are they being GENEROUS to us ... Why would we even THINK they would be fair in that negotiation??? You really should take the smart approach here, and not be one of their patsy's ... they do not appreciate you, and can get rid of you at the drop of a hat. YOUR LOYALTY MEANS NOTHING TO THEM! WE have built this multimillion dollar corporation!

August 18, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. notproudibew

I am a member of IBEW but i dont really support the union. Have no choice i guess. I can't cross the line, i hve too many friends picketing. I actually purposely dont wear a red shirt. I don't really agree with the union members following people around on jobs and harrassing them. They have no choice. The people that picket at my location 185 franklin are brutal. I want my job back this really sucks. I wish i could find a non union job but this job does pay well. I didn't really have a choice but to be union. The other day someone delivered food to our building for a manager now NO UNION MEMBER will eat there. Its like a cult that i will never be a part of. Im gonna eat there more often!!

August 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

notproudibew.. Then find a new job... Go ahead and cross that line... That "job that pays well" is something your UNION provided you... You really are an idiot..

August 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. notproudibew

Bob, this is what i mean. Union Members are so hostile. They are angry people. If someone wanted to be union or non union i would respect their opinion. If a manager comes to cross the line i politely get out of the way. Meanwhile there are 100s of lunatics screaming.

August 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I am not hostile at all.. I am disgusted... Let me ask ya... Let's say we gave into every concession that the company is asking for.. Where would that money go? The company is extremely profitable, especially in this economy... They are saying $20,000 a worker is what they are looking for... some quick calculating ($900,000,000) after all the benefit cuts they look to make...AFTER our our wages, pension, benefits and everything have been paid, this company is STILL able to show a 2.3 BILLION dollar profit... The CEO STILL makes $55,000 a DAY.... SO, notproudibew... my only question... WHERE WOULD THOSE SAVINGS GO???

August 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • FormerUnion

The reason why union members are so hostile is because of the unfairness that you people seem to be just glossing over. It's a matter of a company make tens of billions in profit but still asking for over 1 billion in concessions. It isn't an issue of having to pay for health insurance, it's a matter of having to pay PLUS take a cut in those benefits. It would be different if the benefits stayed the same but they won't. It's a matter of their pension being taken away after years of contributions to it...AND it's a matter of working conditions. It's so easy to sit behind your computer screen and say that you would take a job making $30 an hour with no benefits, but wait until you actually do it along side the treatment that VZ gives it's employees.

I worked for VZ for 8 years until 2007 when I had to leave for health reasons that lead me going onto SSDI. I was close to getting fired because of the legitimate time off I need to tend to myself or else I wouldn't be able to do the damn job. But unfortunately those absences were not approved all the time. They expected me to work in severe pain and made no effort to help me or showed one bit of understanding. Imagine having to work with something contagious as you spread it to others because you can't get time off even with doctor's approval. Imagine being told to thrown up into a trash basket because you can't get approved for the flu. Imagine having to go the emergency room and getting put on final warning for it. Forced 6 day overtime for months, working until 3am even after 15 years on the job...

My point being that the job is not as glamorous as it sounds and after a year of working with less benefits and even lesser respect, you will say "Gee, you guys were right"

August 17, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. William

Mabey your right those videos are not the majority, however that is what's being seen. And you say Verizon allows this???? So I guess you should just lay down and take what Verizon is offering you then. Be responsible for your own behavior and hold your Union Brothers and Sisters accountable when their behavior is nothing short of Harrassment to say the least. You know the saying "One bad apple spoils the bunch" that's the image that is being portrayed.It's not just Verizon workers that are being screamed at, there are also other companies (workers)who are trying to make an honest living that are being harrassed.

August 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. notproudibew

Ya but you act like Verizon is the only job in the world where the CEO makes $55k a day. There are probably hundreds of companies where the CEO makes that and they most likely pay health insurance and dont cry. Id rather pay $25 a week for health ins than $15 a week for the union.

August 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • FormerUnion

Again it's not that simple. Verizon wants to basically strip away EVERYTHING that we fought for.

August 17, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

$75/wk is what it works out to... BUT, notproudibew... Ya never answered my question... Where would those savings go?? OR do you simply not care and want to take the path of least resistance?? Cowards like yourself are the reason that Corporations run over their employees and take anything/everything they can get... Ya know, you should really consider management... you seem to be what it takes...

August 17, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. russ2d

For those that don't know one of the main reasons we are on strike is because of what Verizon wants as a concession from us, here is what Verizon sent us, READ-

• Eliminate the Job Security Provisions for all employees
    • Eliminate the Movement of Work Protection

In other words they want to eliminate our jobs and send them overseas. Of course Verizon is trying real hard to hide this with all their deceptive ads and BS articles claiming the only issue is that we don't want to contribute to our healthcare- utter nonsense. What we want is to not lose our jobs to outsourcing like so many other corporations are doing to their American workers. See the problem now?

August 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. notproudibew

I really dont know where it would go and i really dont care. I got angry when i picketed and saw all my "fellow" union members acting like retards. I want to pay health insurance just so they'll have to. Yes ill bite off my nose to spite my face!

August 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

@Notproudibew- I Feel for you, it is a bad spot to be in. But really?...... All your Union "Brothers and Sisters" going to contribute to pay your mortgage, bills etc. and keep your life and credit from going down the tube? Job.... NO job. Its really a no brainer. Verizon non Union is a good life.
      If adult "Brothers and Sisters" bully, intimidate and threaten, I'd say its time to divorce that family. Take charge and negotiate for yourself. These goobers are going to negotiate you right out of your job.
      If you decide to stick it out, I wish you the best.

August 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kati

Well if that's the case where you want to pay for your healthcare, lose your pension, etc. then why not work for another company? I'm sure that with your ability to want very little from your employer they would take you in a heart beat. Problem solved, no?

August 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |