Anthony Sowell sentenced to death for killing 11 women
August 10th, 2011

Anthony Sowell sentenced to death for killing 11 women

An Ohio jury recommended death Wednesday for convicted serial killer Anthony Sowell in the murders of 11 women.

Relatives of the victims gasped and hugged each other as Judge Dick Ambrose announced the first verdict for victim Tonya Carmichael. The courtroom erupted into applause after Sowell, dressed in an orange jumpsuit, left the courtroom.

The final decision rests with Ambrose, who scheduled a hearing Friday to impose the sentence.

Sowell, who frowned as the verdicts were read, was convicted in July of 11 counts of aggravated murder more than 70 other charges, including abusing corpses and kidnapping.

As part of the sentencing hearing, Sowell made a statement on Monday without being under oath or facing cross-examination from prosecutors.

Sowell was visibly agitated and occasionally tearful as he recounted claims of childhood abuse - both physical and sexual.

Sowell said his childhood "was like a war," with his mother and grandmother constantly arguing, yelling and "whopping" the children.

He did not elaborate on the crimes for which he was convicted.

"I don't know what happened, it's not typical of me," Sowell said. "I can't explain it and I know it's not a lot, but it's all I can give."

Sowell's convictions ended a saga that began in October 2009 with the discovery of the first two victims' remains inside Sowell's home. He eventually was accused of killing at least 11 women ranging in age from 25 to 52.

1. cameasiwas

Anyone else not really care in the slightest one way or another about the death penalty? Let him live, let him die. I don't care which so long as he doesn't come knocking at my door preaching about Jahova...

August 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. surfer-dude

good riddance

August 10, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@sheila:
    That's what this dude did with the dead body of one of his vics.

August 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheila

oh, eye for an eye mentality. I'm in favor of putting the sick animal out of it's misery for the good of the rest of society; but desecrating the corpse hardly seems necessary... kind of twisted.

August 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. moose williams

the bible even talks about how to deal a murderer. In the old testiment they would stone him to death, in the new testiment they would stone him to death. This is what i would do. I would teach him GODS word, have him repent his sins, baptise him and then walk him to his death sentence. He made his choices, now let him do what is right and pay his debt. Those women did not have a choice. May GOD be with them so they can recieve JUSTICE.

August 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@moose williams: A) i thought christians weren't for people having a choice anyway, and B) why would they need justice when they have their final reward?

August 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. America Be Nice

I feel sorry for this guy. You can feel his remorse and he is a human being. They should try to fix his mentality with special teachers and try to bring the good back to him. He looks nice to me and a very kind and loving person we have to give him an opportunity. Be nice America we all can smile.

August 10, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. America Be Nice

Just because he killed some people we don't have to kill him. We have to demonstrate compassion and we have to investigate those women. I'm sure they are not nice women. Nowadays women like that are always looking for trouble. Don't blame this poor guy, I think the women deserved it.

August 10, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Citizen Caine

@America Be Nice:
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Best quip yet!

August 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Williams

@America be nice, ok. If someone kills your mother and father,let's show some compassion. Envision you mother and father decapitated,and SMILE. You are an insult to the victim's families. It is obvious that you want to get a raise out of people. How immature. I think a teen chat room would be more suited for you.

August 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. *Lee

This POS deserves to due the sooner the better may those poor women he kill finally RIP knowing he will be getting what he deserves.

August 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Totally Not In My Nature

Yeah I just killed and defiled the bodies of 11 women. It's so unlike me. Really it's not..

August 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Adam

Personally I'd like to see the rest of his time here on earth to be in one giant holding area with the rest of his kind. Don't guard them, protect them, segregate them and let them fight over food and toiletries.. Show that to at risk kids and lesser offenders as a form of scared straight.

August 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@adam: he should have to live a long life in prison – not sure why most americans seem to want to give the worst criminals the easy way out.

August 10, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Hello, leeintulsa.
    Coming out swinging, are we? Lol!

August 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. leeintulsa

@banasy: Lol. I never start it.. But when people make stuff all about god, sometimes i can't help myself lol

at least i don't insult people for believing.. Alot of people had no choice

August 10, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. pst0xuj

Typical CNN sensationalism. The man has NOT been sentenced to death as yet. The first paragraph of the article states "An Ohio jury recommended death Wednesday". The third paragraph starts with "The final decision rests with Ambrose, who scheduled a hearing Friday". What is the problem Mr Editor – slow news day?

August 10, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |