On the Radar: SCRABBLE finals, News Corp. earnings, stadium beating
Play goes on during Day 4 of the National SCRABBLE Championship Tuesday in Dallas.
August 10th, 2011

On the Radar: SCRABBLE finals, News Corp. earnings, stadium beating

Three things you need to know today.

SCRABBLE championship: America's SCRABBLE champion will be crowned in Texas on Wednesday afternoon.

Jesse Day, a Berkeley, California, graduate student, holds a slim lead over Nigel Richards, a former SCRABBLE national and world champion from Malaysia, and Kenji Matsumoto, from Aiea, Hawaii, as the competition heads into the final day of play.

Twenty-eight rounds have been completed and three will be played on Wednesday. The winner gets a $10,000 prize.

Nearly 350 players have been involved in the National SCRABBLE Championship at the Hotel InterContinental Dallas.

You can follow the play live online. Play begins at 10 a.m. ET and finishes around 3:30 p.m. ET.

News Corp.: News Corp. will release its fiscal year-end earnings report Wednesday, likely thrusting embattled chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch back into the spotlight after a brief respite.

A phone-hacking scandal that has brought a 168-year-old newspaper to its end and caused a parliamentary investigation in the United Kingdom will likely draw attention to a routine report that is usually only combed over by stockholders.

A key group of News Corp. investors is calling for the company to separate the roles of chairman and CEO, Bloomberg News reported Tuesday. The group also wants the majority of the company's board of directors to be independent, according to the report.

Dodger Stadium beating: Two California men are scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday morning in Los Angeles on charges relating to the beating of a San Francisco Giants fan in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium in March.

The victim, Bryan Stow, is still hospitalized with a traumatic brain injury, a hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Marvin Norwood, 30, and Louie Sanchez, 29, both of Rialto, California, are each charged with mayhem, assault and battery, and all three charges are felonies, according to the complaint provided by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

Sanchez is also charged with two misdemeanor counts - one for battery and the other for assault - against two other persons on the same day, according to the complaint.

Sanchez and Norwood, arrested at their San Bernardino County homes July 21, are being held on $500,000 bail each, the prosecutor's office said.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Business • Crime • Games • Media • On the Radar
  1. banasy

It's too hot to play outside. I think I will go for a swim instead and then have some cold iced tea.

August 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Hey sista? How are ya. This hot weather does call for a cold drink. A tea sounds marvelous but I think I will opt for a lemonade instead. So how is everything...

August 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Things are smooth and easy. My daughter will finish college in December. We all are so proud of her. She's almost a nurse.

August 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CDC

I like Kool-Aide.

August 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Oh No

@Philip: Hi I'm back from class. Your whole basis for Somalia being in such bad shape despite the resources available to them is based on your predisposition to the evil white man ripping them off, which you obviously stated as your theory for 9/11 and Iraq. Based on the current lack of military interests being taken in Somalia I would state you are at least wrong in your assessment of Somalia's current state. No I didn't bring it up either.. That was Jazzzzz and yourself starting it off topic in a Scrabble article. I just humored you two by offering my opinion. I still think you're wrong about your assessment of 9/11 and Iraq, but you're correct in the fact that we were all lied to about those events. You are truly a Mad Hatter Mind F(_)u©k if I ever saw one. I know the truth and so does God. Blaming it on Bush, or Carlyle solely is doing everyone a disservice. Good day.. Not talking about this anymore. I'm not going to humor you anymore by being Pavlov's lab rat drooling over cheese you have placed out for me. One day you will find yourself in a place of judgement and you better hope your faith in Jesus is enough to save you. Good day sir.

August 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. the prophet

hang him

August 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TERROR ALERT

YES , WE CAN...YES , WE CAN...WE WILL WIN IN WAR ON TERROR (30 whities or what are terrorists will never come back alive...thank you lord....aaamen).

What do you mean tragedy! It was just a birthday present for planet apes president !!! That's all ! Feels great to flip hamburgers and hip hop atop of good news...makes you feel vibrant and energized !!!

ARIZONA = UTOYA = GOVERNMENT‘S "AFTERLIFE" CASH & $$ FLASH MOB (there was no shooting in Utoya or Arizona, but instead tear gas and on faces of multiculturalism maniacs while calling you a terrorists) !!! stateofterror.blogspot.com/ or stateofterror.wordpress.com/

OBAMA = STALIN = BUSH or USA = SOVIET UNION
    avsecbostjan.blogspot.com/ or avsecbostjan.wordpress.com/

Whitie is fighting war on terrorism just to come home and be pronounced as terrorist...turned in Timothy, jobless, homeless ...YESSS, WE CAN...YESSS, WE CAN...GABBY OPENED HER EYES (Obaminator’s psychotic speech in Tucson = failed “Apocalypse Now“)

TEARS WON'T DO YOU ANY GOOD !!! AS BUSH STATED "THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR"(to die ) !!

Don't worry O(s)bama, you have just saved USA what is lots of Dollars in your DEBT DEALS(DEAD AND ILL) as those best of America or Navy Seals would also grew older and then you already know how it goes !!!

August 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. employment

Aw, this was a really nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to generate a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.

March 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cancer Moles

Excellent blog here! Additionally your website rather a lot up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link for your host? I desire my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

May 12, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |