Overheard on CNN.com: Time to leave the country?
Texas Gov. Rick Perry speaks to an estimated 30,000 attendees at the prayer event, "The Response," Saturday in Houston
August 11th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Time to leave the country?

Comment of the Day:

"Hey, Rick: What brand of gun would Jesus tote?"–RationalDoc

Why Rick Perry is headed to the White House

Why are Americans gearing up to elect another Texan for president? asks fellow Texan James Moore, an Emmy-award winning former news correspondent and co-author of the best-seller, "Bush's Brain." Although Perry "hates to govern, loves to campaign, and barely has a sixth grader's understanding of economics," writes Moore, his "coyote-killer good looks, $2,000 hand-tooled cowboy boots, supernova smile and Armani suits will create a product Americans will want to believe and buy."

His prediction had many CNN.com readers planning to leave the country. nc10t asked, "Do we really want a fundamentalist Christian, who talks to God and believes in Armageddon, with his finger on the nuclear disaster button for the next 4 years? I'm sorry, but that's too scary to even contemplate!" RalphinFL said, "Time to learn to speak Canadian, eh?"

Bethjoyce said, "This is really, really scary. The thought of Rick Perry being president brings thoughts of what happened in pre-WWII Germany. This man will bring down the United States as we know it. I fear for my children and grandchildren. Is it time to leave the country, like many Europeans smartly left Germany and Austria before the Nazis took power."

turdlet said, "He will put Jesus back on the dashboard."

hollywewd asked, "A secessionist who drove Texas $27 billion into deficit in one year? A religious extremist who hates everyone except the right kind of white Christian?"

Some readers argued over whether a rise in low-wage jobs was a bad thing. SlammerBC said, "This writer is soooo liberal he doesn't even know it. This kind if drivel is nonsense. So these jobs at places like Wal-Mart make you less employed how?"

Newmoon2 said, "You cannot build an economy on low-wage jobs, unless you don't mind becoming a third-world economy. It's not just young workers in those jobs, it's skilled workers, older workers, and workers who USED to have middle-income jobs. Again, a thriving middle class is critical to a healthy and growing economy."

Kelce02 said, "Attention American People: Many Texans warned you about Bush; many are warning you about Perry. We are just one state, we can't help it if other states join in. As a Texan I love that our economy is doing well, our housing market declined but never crashed, and we have added many jobs. I don't know how much of this is Rick Perry's doing but that's why he gets re-elected."

EvelynWaugh said, "He's too much like Bush. First, I would like to know if he knows how to pronounce the word "Nuclear."

Tax hike on the rich would impact just 3% of taxpayers

So how many rich people are there in the U.S.? If you define "wealthy" as those making $200,000 or more a year: 3 percent of the population, according to a new Internal Revenue Service report. And of those nearly 4 million higher-income Americans, the report says, 1,470 didn't pay income tax in 2009.

Raise their taxes to reduce the debt, said nearly 63% of Americans in a new CNN/ORC International Poll. CNN.com readers argued over the definition of "wealthy," and whether raising taxes on corporations and the rich would drive them out of the country. SomeNobody said "$200,000 per year income is not wealthy, especially if you live in one of the major cities, unless you are in some third world country."

GBGentleman replied, "Really? I live in DC and make less significantly less than $100,000. Oh, I am also an OVERPAID government worker. Seems to be a conflict in GOP message. Is $200,000 rich or are government workers underpaid?"

tpe said, "The truly rich don't need to work. At some point they will get tired of being vilified by everyone less successful and simply choose to stop working, maybe even leave the country. I'm not rich but from my perspective we need the rich more than they need us."

Ken Ihrig agreed. "Is there any surprise when you ask Americans if we should raise taxes on the 3% that the majority of say "yes"? Similarly, if you asked if the budget should be balanced by raising taxes on corporations the answer would be "yes." If government tried this it would force most companies to move overseas, and the unemployment rate to skyrocket. This is why we elect representatives to do the right thing instead of doing what the majority want."

Thumbs replied, "If this were true we'd all have jobs. Their taxes are already historically low. It's not working. And I don't know about you, but everyone that ever hired me was in the middle class. I don't blame the rich for being rich, but I do blame them for creating this idea that if they were forced to pay a few percent more taxes that they would no longer be productive or hire."

thadschiele said, "Most of the people making over $200K do so because of the U.S. monetary policy and business laws. We hear threats all the time that if we raise taxes on these people, they will move. But they would not make nearly as much money in other countries. So if they are going to enjoy the benefits of this system, why not pay for them?"

Why are moms dressing like their teen daughters?

Once upon a time it seemed that girls wanted to dress like their moms, but a recent Temple University study shows that in fact the reverse is now true. The study of 343 mother-daughter pairs also showed that teen daughters were so not-happy about the trend. CNN.com readers were split over whether daughters were spoiled or moms weren't dressing appropriately for their age.

Cherie123 said, "She's a 14-year-old. What the heck does she know about being herself? How about not shopping at Hollister because they are too expensive and the clothes and not appropriate for most women and many of the clothes are certainly not appropriate for a 14-year-old?"

RUjokingIam "Big deal. If it fits and you like it, buy it. Who's paying for the daughter's clothes again? Oh, right, mom... I think she's entitled to get something for herself."

Many women wrote to explain why they chose the clothes they did. Guest said, "Maybe it's because the clothes I wore back in the '70s and '80s are now popular again, but I refuse to enter some old-lady store and buy something made of stretch polyester I hate. I've been "BoHo" since the '70s and I'm not changing the way I dress!"

ProfessorMom said, "In Black and Latino subcultures, it is acceptable for a middle-aged mom to wear clothes that this article would deem 'too young' or trying too hard to be sexy. I don't see why I should hide my body under the dowdy fashion offerings. Was there a secret conclave somewhere, where it was decided that women over 35 should not wear any shapely, silhouetted clothes in bright colors? Because I didn't get the memo."

verdadtruth said, "I will be the first to admit that Black and Brown women age better. This is not about wearing clothes that show off your body. It is about women trying to recapture something that is long gone. Desperation is rarely pretty."

RUjokingIam said, "Next big trend in high schools: wheelchairs."

1. Scottish Mama

Bring It!

August 12, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. RuffNutt

On!

August 12, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

No just"Bring It". Did I challenge the wrong dude? lol Are you really that bored today?

August 12, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

Actually I was willing to give the Dems a chance for 4, but it is interrupted by a republican congress. So I would prefer everyone elect a Dem congress for the next 6 years. If that does not work out I want to be able to chose something else besides Dems and Repubs. Someone who is not beholden to big business and let me live my life without preaching how I should live it and not even be able to pick out my own trashman.

August 12, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

Dust up your Bibles folks & look for those rosaries which went missing.
    The United White Christian States of America well might be born.

And Oh! Learn to twirl your Colt while you read your Bible.

God bless America.

August 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Scary I say.

August 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

Do you really mean that

August 13, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pat shepherd

He has the most evil eyes I have ever seen. He is the Anti-Christ for sure.

August 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

stop putting people down

August 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ancient Texan

Why liberals belittle Christians and politicians that are Christians is a mystery to me. 86% of the people in the U.S. are religious and it seems the libs want an athiest as a President. Most of our past presidents have had a church affiliation of some sort.

August 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

they may have to believe and care about something or some one other than themselves

August 13, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Right

Has anyone thought that perhaps Christ is the antichrist? Lol .. At the very least the two are in league with each other and we're all caught in the middle. Has evil ever truly been vanquished? Seems kind of odd that the only son of God can't get help from daddy to rid the world of Satan. Maybe Christians are barking up the wrong tree.

August 12, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

Does it make you feel better bashing God

August 13, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • 2011

As strange as it sounds, it is actually a good theological question. Is it possible that the devil to present itself as god?

August 14, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. Right

@Ancient Texan: So the church has kept our leaders pure and free of blood on their hands? I believe in God, but my eyes don't lie. Being a church going God fearing christian doesn't equal morality. I don't fear God, because he is love and compassion. Only the Devil would fear God.

August 12, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

Read youre bible he is also the judge and you are right not every one that says they are a christian are the bible says you will know them by their fruit that means the way they live their lives.

August 13, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Right

@Scottish: I think we need a third primary. Choosing between one pile of vomit or the other works for sheep, but not me. All the women will vote for some cute rich guy anyways so it doesn't matter. Maybe they will vote for a woman which is scary considering the options. Lol I will vote, but I will put something in the write in box because anyone is better than what we've been getting. I will try and go to a rally and pose some serious questions to whatever candidate is there. Just to get my opinion heard. I think those things are rigged considering the softball questions the crowd always asks.

August 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@ Right-don't be bashing women now, we just might get a women that can stand up for the working class. I rather have a mom in there than a man that cannot balance the checkbook. lol I myself have not ever been taken or voted for the cutest. I try to listen and go from there. We need to ask the questions. I was wondering sometimes during an interveiw why when a reporter has the candidate that they do not ask the hard questions and oh how they missed the chance to ask the questions that everyone has in their minds about a candidate.
      The thing about writing somone in is, you have to have so many poeple writing in the same person or your vote just is a cast for nothing.
      Third party would be great. But I think the tea party was a diversion and hi-jacked by some less than honorable people. We have to be careful what we wish for.

August 13, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Right

@Gabe: I'm not bashing God. I'm bashing a book that has a collection of stories written by supposedly flawed, sinful, and imperfect men. It is a book that was put together afterJesus' death and there were some stories left out. Jesus is not God. There is many contradictions in the Bible. The first commandment tells man not to worship anything on earth and in the heavens, so worshiping Jesus goes against that, which is why I find it flawed and contradictory. Stoning in the bible is not clear either as unruly children are stoned, but not cheating spouses. Don't pull this little trick about me not believing in God, because I don't trust the Bible. I believe in God with all my heart. I don't fear God or death and will feel this way until I die. If you want to break the first commandment then that's your prerogative and I respect it, so please respect mine. Thank you.

August 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Right

@Scottish: I wasn't bashing all women, but name one president in the past 50 years that was elected who was fat and bald or generally unattractive? Lol I'd totally vote for a woman including Hillary, but I don't like how she clung onto Bill because of her political ambitions. I would have respected her more if she kicked him to the curb. Lol It's still kinda sad that she called it a conspiracy when the real villain was at home in her bed all along. I'd vote for a woman though and looks aren't important when the country is looking for a leader. Palin is cute, but I don't see her as being qualified enough to dig out of this mess. If a guy who graduated top in his class from Harvard Law School can't dig us out then surely Palin can't. Although I see a problem not with education, but with ethics in regards to our leadership.

August 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Old Raver Guy

Hey Gabe.. Did you ever dabble in slanging ecstasy pills? I knew a guy named Gabe that did that for a while til he got busted. Were you doing God's work, by poisoning young people? Was it a form of test that God commanded you to do? Engage in criminal activities, so you could catch others that do the same thing? Actually there would be no user without a supply or dealer. Sounds right up your alley though.

August 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 2011

Fundamentalist Christianity is a cult. Do Americans want a cult member to be their president?

August 14, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. TERROR ALERT

YES , WE CAN...YES , WE CAN...WE WILL WIN IN WAR ON TERROR (30 whities or what are terrorists will never come back alive...thank you lord....aaamen).

What do you mean tragedy! It was just a birthday present for planet apes president !!! That's all ! Feels great to flip hamburgers and hip hop atop of good news...makes you feel vibrant and energized !!!

ARIZONA = UTOYA = GOVERNMENT‘S "AFTERLIFE" CASH & $$ FLASH MOB (there was no shooting in Utoya or Arizona, but instead tear gas and on faces of multiculturalism maniacs while calling you a terrorists) !!! stateofterror.blogspot.com/ or stateofterror.wordpress.com/

OBAMA = STALIN = BUSH or USA = SOVIET UNION
    avsecbostjan.blogspot.com/ or avsecbostjan.wordpress.com/

Whitie is fighting war on terrorism just to come home and be pronounced as terrorist...turned in Timothy, jobless, homeless ...YESSS, WE CAN...YESSS, WE CAN...GABBY OPENED HER EYES (Obaminator’s psychotic speech in Tucson = failed “Apocalypse Now“)

TEARS WON'T DO YOU ANY GOOD !!! AS BUSH STATED "THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR"(to die ) !!

Don't worry O(s)bama, you have just saved USA what is lots of Dollars in your DEBT DEALS(DEAD AND ILL) as those best of America or Navy Seals would also grew older and then you already know how it goes !!!

August 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wraith

Try again, in English this time.

August 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cyberCMDR

I remember when the economy tanked and Texas was one of the states that had not gone broke, and people asked why. It turned out the Texas Legislature only convenes once every two years. The year before the crash when all the other states were spending madly, the Texas Legislature was off. They didn't go into debt because they didn't have the opportunity. In addition, Texas had laws limiting how much one could borrow against your house. Thus the housing bubble didn't hit Texas as hard. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have oil revenues coming in when oil prices are going through the roof, either. NONE of this had to do with Perry, but he takes credit for it.

August 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |