August 11th, 2011
09:09 AM ET

Rights group: NATO must probe allegations it killed Libyan civilians

A leading human rights organization is calling on NATO to investigate allegations that it killed 85 civilians during airstrikes on forces loyal to Moammar Gadhafi.

The demand by Amnesty International Wednesday followed government accusations days earlier that NATO killed civilians in the western part of the country to help clear the way for rebels advancing on the Gadhafi-controlled city of Zlitan.

"NATO continues to stress its commitment to protect civilians. To that effect, it should thoroughly investigate this and all other recent incidents in which civilians were reportedly killed in western Libya as a result of airstrikes," Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui of Amnesty International said in a statement.

Eighty-five civilians, including 33 children, were killed in airstrikes Monday near the village of Majer, Gadhafi's government said.

NATO says its warplanes Monday struck two farms used as a staging point for Gadhafi's forces.

"This is a legitimate target. And by striking it, NATO has reduced pro-Gadhafi forces capabilities to threaten and attack civilians," said Col. Roland Lavoie, a spokesman for the NATO operation.

"We do not have evidence of civilian casualties at this stage, although casualties among military personnel, including mercenaries, are very likely due to the nature of the target."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Libya • NATO • War • World
soundoff (58 Responses)
  1. Grog

    I love the dichotomy of peace through war. I also love how peace protesters always attack the US or western powers without ever batting an eye to the original aggressor. This planet is really messed up. It's confusing and sad.

    August 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hiruu

      Like how I love that NATO is playing Air Force for REBELS!

      August 13, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. slider

    NATO bombs the crap out of them, NATO is their enemy. Yet this group demands that the war stop so NATO can go into enemy held territory and conduct an investigation. What?????

    August 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DC

    This 'demand' by Amnesty International at this point is beyond ridiculous. Usually such things are deferred until the cessation of hostilities.
    Based on this assertion, Gaddafi will be able to claim to his hostage populace, and to the world at large that NATO is no better than him. A message that will be eagerly adopted by his supporters abroad. Most Liberal westerners will feel very embarrassed by this and start blaming their own govt reflexively.

    August 12, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

    What year saw the most death's of US military peronell? 1860's Civil War? WW2? Not even close. that year was 1998, where we find US troops involved in over 300 skirmishes and little wars. Yet, most consider 1998 as a peaceful year with a thriving economy. My point? It will be easy to be fooled into thinking that true peace and security has been found...when there is none. Just as easy as it was to be fooled into thinking that peace is attainable through war.

    August 12, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pink Panther

    @ Slider I believe I remeber you back in February when I started posting... where in the H-E-L-L have you been DUDE ?

    August 12, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

    @ Grog

    which original aggressor & when? Pray enlighten us.
    Taliban? They had nothing to do with 9/11. in fact they had offered twice to hand over Osama Bin Laden to us in 2001. Bush rejected this offer.
    I do not recall Iraq or Iraqis or Afghanistan or Afghans attacking us in any manner. Although we had invaded Iraq under Bush senior much before 9/11.
    As for 9/11 attacks, the two alleged 'hijackers' we saw on our tv screens & fotos splashed all over were Saudi nationals living in California. Most of the rest of them were found alive & kicking in their countries after the attacks.
    As for these two 'hijackers', no less than an ex-White house counter terrorism czar & National Security aide Richard Clarke has now come out with allegations. That in 2000-2001 CIA had tried to recruit these two 'hijackers' to work for them against Al-Qaeda. These allegations have of course are being denied by CIA.
    Thinking Americans have always been sceptical of the official version on 9/11 attacks as the rest of the world.
    Our brave men & women have been put in harm's way for what? Why are we still in Afghanistan after more than a decade? Is Iraq disaster not over yet?

    August 12, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

    sorry for the typo folks.read 'skeptical'.

    August 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rights Group: NATO must probe Israeli MOSSAD

    The Israeli MOSSAD recruited mercenary troops for Gadhafi. They should be probed also.

    August 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rights Group: NATO must probe Israeli MOSSAD

    Israeli Arms Manufacturers and Mossad Recruited 50000 Armed ...
    2 Mar 2011 ... Gaddafi regime pays $2000 per day for each mercenary. The mercenaries receive $100 per ... US urges support for Libya mercenaries .... newworldliberty. com/ newsarticle/report-israel-company-recruiting-gadhafi-mercenaries ...www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSPPhbWUpSk

    August 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4