August 11th, 2011

Rights group: NATO must probe allegations it killed Libyan civilians

A leading human rights organization is calling on NATO to investigate allegations that it killed 85 civilians during airstrikes on forces loyal to Moammar Gadhafi.

The demand by Amnesty International Wednesday followed government accusations days earlier that NATO killed civilians in the western part of the country to help clear the way for rebels advancing on the Gadhafi-controlled city of Zlitan.

"NATO continues to stress its commitment to protect civilians. To that effect, it should thoroughly investigate this and all other recent incidents in which civilians were reportedly killed in western Libya as a result of airstrikes," Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui of Amnesty International said in a statement.

Eighty-five civilians, including 33 children, were killed in airstrikes Monday near the village of Majer, Gadhafi's government said.

NATO says its warplanes Monday struck two farms used as a staging point for Gadhafi's forces.

"This is a legitimate target. And by striking it, NATO has reduced pro-Gadhafi forces capabilities to threaten and attack civilians," said Col. Roland Lavoie, a spokesman for the NATO operation.

"We do not have evidence of civilian casualties at this stage, although casualties among military personnel, including mercenaries, are very likely due to the nature of the target."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Libya • NATO • War • World
  1. sjdsh

HATO/USA$$?!? No Thank you!!
    & a Big Group Hug goes to George Patton&co
    Again,Thank you All esp gung hoe!,General Tommy,Helen,banasy,Mack
    Don't mind thanking people but... could do with a Like button?

August 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

@saywhat...you've thought about this a lot, and it shows. Well said. Have you ever thought about the chief architect of Israel's supreme court complex? He's dead now, but on his deathbed he released photos showing what's inside. The walls are covered with satanic symbolisms, and there is a giant wooden cross inlayed into the floor that Israeli judges "trample on" before deliberating. Maybe President Obama and the entire delegation can hold-hands and all trample together. Isn't that what they do anyhow? Did Jesus command these wars and occupations? President Obama, a self-proclaimed christian, seems to think so. I think that these are the wars of men who have been misled by their own desires, and that they could really care less what God thinks about them. If in fact there really is a God like President Obama claims.

August 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

@ Philip

Thanks.
    Your post set me thinking again. I couldn't agree more.

August 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Well, we've been waiting for governments to get their act together for how many centuries? I believe and know that there is only One who can bring peace to this world. But before this can possibly be accomplished, the war-mongers will have to be dealt with. That One will deal with them soon enough. Then there will finally and forevermore be peace on earth for men of good will, along with their families. Sound good? 🙂

August 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

@Philip @ General

Great posts all. Much needed thoughts on these blogs. Pl keep it up.

August 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

Thanx saywhat. Yer never gonna tell me what color your hair is are ya. he he...I have images in my mind representing the individuals that I've met here. Yours is blank. Do you have freckles? he he

August 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

War kills! That's what it does! Is Amnesty International asking Gadhafis forces to account for the civilians they have killed? No? That is a bit skewered &1sided!War is attrocious & I had really hoped this new millenium would bring more level headed leaders, who could discuss their problems without dropping bombs, but such is not the case! Too many greedy, pompous, arrogant dictators thrive on mistreating their citizens, so the wars continue, right along with the so called "war crimes"! War Is A Crime & the sooner humanity aknowledges that fact, the better off the world will be!!

August 11, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

@fernace...BRAVO! War IS a crime against humanity. ty for saying it.

August 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

@ Philip

sorry to disappoint you, I don't have freckles & a score strands that I have left on my tome are white. but does that matter really? Aren't we all a part of Creation, created equal to the extent of our aspirations, needs & humanity?
    What I am though is an American who feels for his country and is both saddened and frustrated at what we are doing to this country of ours.
    I said 'we' because we the ordinary Americans are the ones who got the politicians to where they can play gods & screw things up. And we are the ones who are even now letting them get away with it.

August 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

@ Philip

sorry to disappoint you, I don't have freckles & a score strands that I have left on my tome are white. but does that matter really? Aren't we all a part of Creation, created equal to the extent of our humanity, aspirations & needs ?

August 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. saywhat

@ fernace

Right on mark.
    The irony is that humanity wages war on humanity.
    I wait for the day that there are million people marches on capitals around the world against War.
    Humanity chanting "No more. No more".

August 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@saywhat:
    From you lips to God's ears; and to all who love humanity.

August 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

@ saywhat, right on to that march! I'm signing up today!!

August 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sjdsh

"This is a legitimate target. And by striking it, NATO has reduced pro-Gadhafi forces capabilities to threaten and attack civilians," said Col. Roland Lavoie, a spokesman for the NATO operation & A F-ing Lying NAZI Pig !!!
    Try telling that to 15 year-old Salwa Jawoo. Her name was on some of the school books at the scene – I found her in Zliten hospital.Her face was scarred – she had a broken shoulder.
    She said she was sitting outside her home when the first missile struck. It was the second one that injured her.
    "There was no military camp. We were just living there. Why did they attack us?" she asked.
    "My mother died, and my two sisters," she added, with a sigh. A tear ran down her cheek as she spoke. Her grief was genuine.So, too, was the sorrow of Ali Mufta Hamed Gavez. His wife – also in the hospital – had her leg amputated after being wounded.Next door in the mortuary the stench was overwhelming – body bags laid strewn across the floor.

August 11, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sjdsh

Million People March in Harlem Anti Libyan War NYC Saturday 8/13/2011 meet 10am 110th st & MacolmX Blvd
    Be There Pleassse!!!