August 14th, 2011

Rembrandt work stolen from California hotel

Detectives in southern California searched Sunday for clues to crack the case of a stolen piece of artwork by Dutch master Rembrandt van Rijn, thought to be worth some $250,000.

The theft occurred when a curator was distracted by another person, who appeared interested in buying something, said Steve Whitmore, spokesman with the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime
  1. Humber

Can't sleep, but it's too early to get up.

August 15, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Humber

There are many extremely ethical, kind, generous, and humble rich people. I know quite a few.
    It's easy to hate those who are richer, better looking, thinner, more intelligent, better educated, and better known than we are.
    It's especially easy to use the Bible as a basis for hating those people whose worldly lives are beautiful and prosperous.
    The flawed Bible, much of which contains beautiful stories and true wisdom, is often put to very good uses.
    I often use it.
    However, that book is also a wonderful weapon for the jealous and hateful when used for escape from reality and the making of both national and personal wars.
    In that sense, the imaginative writing indeed renders blessed the poor, especially the unethical and wicked poor.

August 15, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Humber

banasy, in all her intelligence and true kindness, said she'd leave a light on for raven.
    My impression is that raven is one of those who, in the sense of Martin Buber's theology, carry their own light and therefore need never fear the darkness.

August 15, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. raven

Thanks sista. And thank you Humber, for your kind words. I was moved and inspired.

August 15, 2011 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pedro

I went to school with Rembrandt Gomez. He wasnt a painter though.

August 15, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. justathought

I was curious about this theft and went on-line to learn more. This was a sketching, not a painting It was at an art sale at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in San Clemente, So Ca, So Orange County which has high security. The sheriff believes they will find the culprit because there were lots of security cameras. I don't know why CNN can't give us these details.

August 15, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

i wore gloves and was dressedn up like harrypotter... good luck finding me... this artwork is going to look good next to my velvet elvis poster

August 15, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. justathought

=========@Mmmmm================Yes there are a few ethical wealthy people; even though I'm a pauper, I have some very wealthy multimillionaire friends. who are very ethical, very nice people.

August 15, 2011 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. RUFFNUTT

it just barely fit in the back of my camaro.... i'm gonna hang it up next to my "life of brian" movie poster

August 15, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. vixen

Maybe it was hanging right by the door and not in a case either. Seems to be the 'logical' place to hang expensive art these days......

August 15, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Badeley-Bent

What? No video surveilance?

August 15, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. vixen

Wonder if it was not in a case and hung by the front door. Seems to be the popular place to hang expensive art these days.......

August 15, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@Humber:

Thank you.
    I agree with your intuition concerning raven.

August 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

@banasy(m.s.) Thank you and back atcha. And I was sposta trade my beautiful portrait of Elvis on velvet for a macrame wall hanging with CSinSC but it came up missing. I think Ruffie should be investigated in the Rembrandt theft! And speakin of: where IS CSinSC? I liked him/her.

August 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hosteria oasis valle del chota

The explosion of the lodge sector within the last hundred years has led to a choice of a number of different classificiations associated with rooms in hotels. You will need to see why ...Hotel Baños

January 14, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |