August 16th, 2011

Lightning strikes near six people at Sea World

[Updated at 9:36 p.m.] None of the six people appeared to have taken a direct strike, the fire department told CNN affiliate WESH. Five adults were taken to an area hospital for evaluation. One person was treated at the scene and released, according to WESH.

Six people were struck by lightning at Sea World's Discovery Cove
in Florida this afternoon, an Orange County Fire Rescue spokeswoman said.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Canadian Genius

Wow. I was there with my family a few weeks ago. So, the 4 of us almost got struck by lightening too.

Or, we would have, if we were still there. But we aren't. And if we went to the waterpark, which we didn't. We were in the main Sea World theme park. But it rained the day we were there.

Er.......wow, that was close...... I guess.

August 17, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Nice. 🙂

August 17, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • P Repasi

The world needs ditch diggers, too.....

August 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

August 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • JCC

To Canadian Genius –
      Wow. I was there with my family 20 years ago. So, the 4 of us almost got struck by lightening too.

Er.......wow, that was close...... I guess.

You should change your moniker to Canadian Idiiot!!

August 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kanuks R Kool

HAHAHAHA, I thought that was hilarious til I saw JCC's reply. That was even funnier. He has ZERO sense of humor :).

August 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bubba

wow..i had 1 number right in the lottery a few months ago..i guess i almost won...wow

August 17, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Tess Stickles

HAHAHAHAHA, awesome comment!

August 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT

god smited them...

August 17, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

I heard it was jesus who did the smiting. I mean, yeah, I suppose you could say that god was complicit, since he knew jesus was going to do it, but... ya know... freewill and all that jazz.

And, I guess you could also hold god partially responsible, in that he wasn't a very involved parent, and pawned his kid off on Joseph. But, then, you also have to question Joseph's parenting skills. Which, in turn, means that Joseph also has to absorb at least SOME of the blame.

But I digress.

August 17, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

So, I guess what I was really trying to say was, "lightning strikes are primarily a direct result of bad parenting."

August 17, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Or said, damn me!!! I missed!!!

August 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. svscnn

"None of the six people appeared to have taken a direct strike..."

"Six people were struck by lightning at Sea World's Discovery Cove
    in Florida this afternoon."

So... essentially, 25% of this article contradicts another 25%. That's some crack reporting right there.

August 17, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • wavejump1100

i was thinking the same thing. this article is so short yet it still manages to contradict itself

August 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

They were all probably down gradient of the strike. I got struck on Sunday working on a faucet in my house. It's really no worse than sticking your finger in a light socket, but definitely will give you a good scare. I suppose it could be dangerous too if you have a pace maker or something electronic in you, but unless you are within 15 feet of where the actual lightning hit, you're just getting fraction of the strike. If you're within that 15 foot range, then you usually lose all motor control and just collapse,, which is pretty scary and could cause injury. Wonder how close they were.

August 25, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@svscnn:

Lmao!
    Digress anytime.
    It was a pleasure to read your post.

August 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Thanks for the compliment banasy – glad I could put a smile on your face! 🙂

August 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • bamaboy

AMEN!!

August 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat2u

That's absolutely schocking !!

August 17, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Arthur Kleinberg

I'm the plaintiff's attorney representing the injured parties. It is quite clear by evidence being gathered that my clients were negligently exposed to deadly lightening strikes due to failure on the part of Sea World to provide adequate lightning arrestors in the park. On behalf of the plaintiffs in this case, we will be seeking damages in the amount of $2 billion dollars for near-electrocution that has resulted in a loss of bowel function and memory loss in all of the clients, a loss of libido and subsequent inability to enjoy daily activities. All clients have lost their desire to work and now are unable to pursue careers because of dramatic hearing loss. I will only be accepting my 33% in this case to cover basic attorney fees and court costs. This is a tragic case and needless injury that could have been avoided had Sea World fitted the park with lightning arrestors. With a lot of luck, emotional appeal and imagination, we hope to prevail.

August 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Looks like I missed out on a sweet payday. But I did get to see the last ever shuttle launch.

August 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • KM

How long will it be until some lawyer tries to hold a "God" accountable for random acts of nature too?

If the crazies like Pat Robertson want to blame their deity for every natural disaster shouldn't there be some liability there too?

August 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • macs

You are kidding right?

September 8, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. wavejump1100

breaking news: six unemployed people got jobs today. employers say 5 of the six people were not hired. one person was asked to come back for a second interview but not hired.

August 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN Editor-In-Chief

I like what I see wavejump1100. I think you have what it takes to be a cnn.com reporter. Perhaps you would consider working for us here, reporting absolutely nothing.

August 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom Tucker

I couldn't have reported this story any better. The only thing they left out is that Diane caused the lightning.

Now in other news rain expected up and down the east coast this weekend so pack an umbrella.

August 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anonymous...

This article is so stupid it's funny.

September 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lance

Something is fishy here

September 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ΦΩΤΙΣΤΙΚΑ

I do agree with all of the ideas you have introduced for your post. They're very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for newbies. May just you please extend them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

April 28, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |