August 16th, 2011

Murdoch pie thrower reportedly blogging from prison

The British man who shoved a pie into media mogul Rupert Murdoch's face has apparently been blogging from prison.

Jonathan May-Bowles, who is serving a six-week sentence at Wandsworth Prison in London, appears to have not let a little confinement prevent him from updating his blog "Anarch*ish*."

Using his nickname, "Jonnie Marbles," he seems to have posted twice recently. Written in a lively voice, the blog describes prison life.

The Village Voice highlighted a passage in which the poster says he's been graciously received by fellow inmates.

" 'Oi, Pie man!' shouted one of my fellow lags. A few cons come over to alternately shake my hand and take the piss. We have some of what I believe is known colloquially as 'banter', something I have not enjoyed since university. It is not like riding a bike."

At one point, Jonnie Marbles posts an apology to "Minimarbles."

"Minimarbles, if you are reading this, whenever that is, I am deeply sorry from the depths of my heart. I love you and miss you. Not seeing you is my real punishment here; the only one I care about, anyway."

May-Bowles smashed a pie in Murdoch's face during the mogul's testimony before Parliament in July about accusations of phone hacking at his British tabloid, News of the World. Murdoch's wife, Wendi, jumped up and slapped May-Bowles to help her husband.

News of the World and its staffers are accused of hacking dozens of phones, including one of a murdered girl and those of the girl's family. The scandal prompted the newspaper's closure. The Murdoch media empire remains under fire as investigators continue to probe reports of other phone hacking.

1. banasy©

So why wasn't Wendi Murdoch arrested for assault, hmmmmmmm?

August 16, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. julibear

exactly what I was thinking, banasy!

August 16, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. thermopylaerules

This article is inaccurate. The May-Bowles, aka Marbles, attempted to push a pie into Murdoch's face; he was blocked by a female person sitting to his left and she was assisted by his wife, Wendy.

August 16, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. David Rook

Pie thrower 0. Murdochs 1. What Jonathan May-Bowles did, was wrong, but what the Murdochs did was far worse, yet who is in jail.

August 16, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. ManBearPig

Because she was defending a loved one from an attack. Duh.

August 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. malasangre

i dont think accused would be the right word as they have admitted it.

August 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Sure she was, Manbearpig.
    And pie-boy was defending an ideal, both of which are apparently illegal.
    So why wasn't SHE charged?
    Duh.

August 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ManBearPig

Last I checked, citizens are not allowed to take the law into their own hands. And since when is the crime of phone hacking punishable by pie throwing? This pie thrower is, in a way, no different from Murdoch. He thinks he is above the law.

August 16, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Assault is assault, whether by hand or by pie.
    The pie thrower is in jail.
    He knows he isn't above the law; he's in *jail*!

Wendi Murdoch is not.
    Apparently she *is* above the law.

August 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • ManBearPig

The next time someone assaults you, go ahead and fight back. I promise you the courts will look favorably on your self defense. And the next time you see your spouse being assaulted, feel free to defend them too.

August 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Sure, the next time I get assaulted by a *pie*, I'll be sure to whip out my gun in self-defense.
    The courts will look upon me favorable, I'm sure.

Point is, she wasn't even *arrested*.
    That smacks of a double standard: money talks, bullsh!t walks.
    The bullsh!t walked now, didn't she?

August 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ManBearPig

I assume the quotations you put around "pie" indicate you don't think being hit with a pie is assault. I bet if your idol Obama was hit with a pie you'd want some swift justice. What if Murdoch is allergic to pies? Is it now perfectly legal to hit people with things as long as they don't break the skin?

August 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Oops, *favorably*

August 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ncalad

Why does this guy (or anyone else) have Internet access from jail? This is part of the problem in thus country. Jail is supposed to be a punishment not a hotel/resort. Inmates should be deprived of all the luxuries they are accustomed to.

August 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mugsy187

Really 'assault' ManBearPig – I suppose his 6 week sentence fits the crime? I dont' think pie throwing can be confused with 'taking the law into your own hands'. You must be a rich Republican too.

August 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. svann

If there was ever cause for leniency it would be for the "crime' of pie throwing. Sure its technically an assault but get real. In reality it is extremely unlikely to hurt you, just embarrass you. In reality it shouldnt even be considered as assault. The law is wrong.

August 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chad

Someone should have smashed a pie in that money grubber's face too

August 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Sure justice has been served. End of Murdoch story.
    A man has been sentenced to serve jail time & he is not a Mrdoch. What else do you guys want?
    we don't want anything to happen to Murdochs, do we? Why should the innocent billionaires suffer? They should be allowed to continue with their honorable endeavors both in UK & USA.

August 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |