August 16th, 2011

Murdoch pie thrower reportedly blogging from prison

The British man who shoved a pie into media mogul Rupert Murdoch's face has apparently been blogging from prison.

Jonathan May-Bowles, who is serving a six-week sentence at Wandsworth Prison in London, appears to have not let a little confinement prevent him from updating his blog "Anarch*ish*."

Using his nickname, "Jonnie Marbles," he seems to have posted twice recently. Written in a lively voice, the blog describes prison life.

The Village Voice highlighted a passage in which the poster says he's been graciously received by fellow inmates.

" 'Oi, Pie man!' shouted one of my fellow lags. A few cons come over to alternately shake my hand and take the piss. We have some of what I believe is known colloquially as 'banter', something I have not enjoyed since university. It is not like riding a bike."

At one point, Jonnie Marbles posts an apology to "Minimarbles."

"Minimarbles, if you are reading this, whenever that is, I am deeply sorry from the depths of my heart. I love you and miss you. Not seeing you is my real punishment here; the only one I care about, anyway."

May-Bowles smashed a pie in Murdoch's face during the mogul's testimony before Parliament in July about accusations of phone hacking at his British tabloid, News of the World. Murdoch's wife, Wendi, jumped up and slapped May-Bowles to help her husband.

News of the World and its staffers are accused of hacking dozens of phones, including one of a murdered girl and those of the girl's family. The scandal prompted the newspaper's closure. The Murdoch media empire remains under fire as investigators continue to probe reports of other phone hacking.

1. banasy©

The only thing Murdoch was concerned about was getting pie on his Savile Row suit.

August 16, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • gfg

he should be happy he isnt american, he would have probably been put to death in the american industrial prison complex

August 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

It's a well know fact that Murdock is an American citizen. Conducting business using bribery of foreign officials is specifically restricted by our government.

August 16, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@saywhat:
    Word.

Manbearpig:
    This argument is ludicrous.
    Technically, he was assaulted, too.
    I was emphasizing pie, hence the *.
    You obviously jump to conclusions easily, hence the Obama "slam."
    Assault is assault, by hand or by pie.
    His life was in no danger.
    Your argument is disingenuous, at best.
    Good day, Manbearpig.

August 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ManBearPig

And good day to you too. So a life must now be in danger for any amount of force to be used in order to stop a crime? Is that the new legal definition? I'll remember that the next time I steal a car.

August 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • svann

Assault SHOULD mean assault, but somehow they included farcical pie throwing.

August 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • heyZeus

one thing that needs to be noted. Americans cannot put OUR definition of assault on other nations. A pie in the face is usually considered normal for those that draw the ire of the population in alot of the Northern EU nations. the Netherlands also come to mind when thinking of it.

To place the 'assault' card down on an english pie in the face is not only incorrect, but is blatantly stupid. One of the biggest reasons that the EU has such a low crime rate and an even lower incarceration rate is that they did not fall for the American thought of 'every citizen is a criminal' mentality. Even in countries such as Australia, where they were created FROM a population of criminals, they hold their citizenry in a higher regard that the US does. Only when the US begins to understand that small acts of defiance are not conspiracies to overthrow, then we will understand the symbolism of a pie to the puss.

August 16, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • svann

Heyzeus: The crime was committed in England not America. Thus your disparagement of the American justice system is misplaced.

August 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dreederiv

Are you serious they threw this guy in prison for throwing a pie at probably the most evil person since the Emperor from the Star Wars Saga stupid stop asking Murdoch's permission to question him and throw him in prison for invasion of privacy and at least Treachery make something up.

August 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ManBearPig

Presumption of innocence? Bah, we don't need that! Mob rules! Haven't you had enough of that recently, England?

August 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I'll bet you took the gold in conclusion-jumping didn't you, MBP?
    Sort of, "I've got a headache, therefore it must be a brain tumor."
    You make me laugh with all of your adamant over-reasoning.

August 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ManBearPig

There are starving children in Somalia who would have gladly eaten that pie. It could have fed a village for a week

August 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • svann

I know youre kidding but it wasnt even a real pie. Just a fake pie made of shaving cream.

August 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indeed You Idiot

Yes, if children ate shaving cream. Let's charge the person who did this with attempted genocide for depriving them of valuable, shaving-cream pie nutrition.

August 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bella

Now you're just being silly, ManBearPig.

August 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Skolo

Murdoch will get a slap on the wrist, and the pie thrower gets 6 weeks. Amazing how screwed up the legal system is. Murdoch's wife should be charged with assault.

August 16, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Satan

Looks like they're both anarchists.. Bwahahah.. Rupert and Jonathan should double team lil miss "me love you long time" Harharhar...

August 16, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mad Hatter

Shame the pie wasn't Nair. Now that would be an assault. LOL

August 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Humber

Fun posts, indeed.
    Dear banasy:
    Thank you for being aware of my concern while reading all of those comments: THE MAN'S SUIT.
    Murdoch has much, much more money that I could ever make, but I buy really good suits.
    Like, "oh Lord–now I've got to buy another suit."
    Pie on my face is nothing: I can lick it off my lips.
    Clothes cost a lot of money.

August 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • svann

Im pretty sure shaving cream does not damage a suit. Ill even hazard a guess that that is why he used shaving cream and not a real pie.

August 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Donald in CA

I think the pie thrower was a setup to gain sympathy for the murdochs. It made a hero out of his wife instead of being about the dirty deeds of the murdochs. Rich and ugly is on a winning streak, even in america.

August 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RUFFNUTT

he needs to open a bakery/....

August 16, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. IBON4IT

So, let me get this straight: An honest citizen harmlessly "pies" an accused criminal and he gets 6 weeks in prison BUT said accused criminal's wife physically retaliates against said honest citizen and walks free???

August 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • ManBearPig

Harmless? The law disagrees with you. "Assault and causing harassment, alarm or distress" is not considered harmless. You think it should be harmless? Write your MP and have him change the law.

August 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Wow

This world is insane! ManBearPig is quite clearly deluded especially if you look at the amount of opposition he has. Even if 'technically' the law states bla bla it doesn't matter, you should try to use some common sense in order to get past that and really see how ridiculous this is. People like you are the reason why the UK (and many others) are going down the drain by pushing the political correctness BS too far. 6 weeks is an outrage for what is quite clearly a harmless crime and if that sort of punishment is dished out for pie throwing then Murdochs 'gold-digging plaything' should have been put away for years. I mean, if we're looking at the technicalities then it sure wasn't self defence, she wasn't being harmed so she had no right to assault the man. Oh well Murdoch probably paid the crooked officials off and ManBearPig seems to think that's fine.
    Keep living in your own bubble ManBearPig.

August 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cryptbox

I am sure the slap from his wife hurt more than the pie in his face. If a man had punched him he would have been arrested.

August 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |