August 16th, 2011

Obama rips GOP for excessive partisanship

President Barack Obama laced into his conservative Republican congressional critics Tuesday, accusing them of putting partisan political concerns before the country's interests.

Appearing before a crowd of farmers and small-business owners in the presidential battleground state of Iowa, Obama called on Congress to help boost an anemic economy by passing an extension of the payroll tax cut and a new road construction bill, among other things.

"America is going to come back from this recession stronger than before," the president declared. But I "need your help sending a message to Congress" that "it's time to put politics aside and get something done," he said.

Elements in Congress refuse to "put country ahead of faction," Obama said. It is time to "put country ahead of party and put the next generation ahead of the next election. That's what I'm fighting for."

Obama's latest salvo against tea party-backed Republicans came in the midst of the president's three-day Midwestern bus tour, ostensibly meant to promote administration's new rural economic development initiatives.

The president is scheduled to discussed a number of political and economic issues during a one-on-one interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Tuesday afternoon.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • Republican Party
  1. bobcat2u

I'm truly hoping that the majority of americans realize what the president is saying is the truth. There used to be a reasonable set of people in the GOP, but now because for the first time we have a different kind of person in the white house, you know, one that actually seems to care about the people, they want to take him down because he might just do we the people some good.

August 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Obama Bin Laden/Obama Biden

@banasy: The Dems failed to prove to me they are the party of the working man. They have not addressed outsourcing and you can't get them to act on any issue without them calling you a racist. Our country is doomed sorry to say. Neither party cares about anything other than their wallet and ego..

August 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LOL

@bobcat: Stop with the race stuff. I've backed Obama on every major issue, but he hasn't gone through anything with a scalpel, instead he deflects and twists facts. What evidence do you have that he's telling the truth? Are you on his staff? No you're a stupid american who's impressed by slick talking.. You are part of the problem.

August 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

How on earth did you construe any racism from my statement ? I knew someone would jump in there and take it in that direction. Congratulations !!!! Looks like YOUR race issues are showing !!

August 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. slider

bobcat2u I also believe you were using the race card. If anyone disagrees with him that makes them a racist. i have heard it on the news, from Hollywood and from liberals like you. He is a truely horrible president unless your dream is to one day to live in a bankrupt and socolist America.

August 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NASCARD

If a car is sponsored by the N.A.A.C.P., can it possibly be a race card if you shift it in reverse and drive really really fast?

August 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

Thanks to banasy, Humber & bobcat for your logical & succinct posts! I find reading the posts is just as educational as the articles themselves! This nation is a bit hyper sensitive when it comes to race, but I must say I have not heard Obama using the race-card & found nothing that referred to race in bobcats post! If some1 has hard facts, please set me straight! Also, unless you have a) lived in a socialistic regime, b) studied it extensively, please stop discussing the subject til you learn how it functions! Learning how to spell the word is a plus, too! Obama is not nearly a socialist, but I would rather live in a socialistic system, than the plutocratic system promoted by the GOP-TP!! Also, that Osama/Obama tag is extremely offensive! Are you really trying to compare Obama & Biden to alQaeda? If so you seriously need meds & good luck with that! Like Humber says, we have to pick the lesser of 2 corrupt political factions, I pick Obama-Biden for the next 4!!

August 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Little Suzie

Half of US us live off of the other half. That's sort of socialisticky, at least.

August 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. one day when pigs fly

#1 Obama is HALF BLACK HALF WHITE...get it ! # 2 I have a son who is half and half, and it's not fun when you are a part of the HUMAN race and people who HATE blacks still don't get the fact that GOD made everyone AND you know what I mean. F U all who can't see!

August 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT

What's the difference anyway? Both Obama and the Republicans work for the MIC(military-industrial-complex) and nothing will change any time soon in Washington. Just more of the same!!!

August 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

I am a centrist, and an independent one at that.
    I stand by what I said.
    Politics divide.

@fernace:
    Word.

August 16, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jj

Amen RUFFNUT N BANZ!

August 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat2u

I also identify more as an independent and pretty much centrist but flexible.

@fernace
    Thanks for understanding what I was saying.

August 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KB Wizard

Ok enough is enough. The reality is there is NO SUCH THING AS THE RACE CARD. There has never been any preference of substance given to blacks in this county. Even the most cursory view of history will confirm this. This phrase came to prominence during the O.J trail and has been bantered about ever since. I have never gotten a job, avoided police harassment, gotten a discount, and received better housing or better grads on a test because of my skin color.

Now on to Obama. He has some short coming. He is Anti Second amendment but he does it on the DL. He is too quick to compromise and starts off giving in too much and still does not get what he wants.
    I try to be objective about his tenure as president while others do not. He was able to get Bin Laden. A thing all Americans should have been able to give him credit for. Yet in many forums I went to they would not even give him credit for that. I did not like Bush but I did support him going after the Taliban no matter how I felt about him. For some if he Gets Bin Laden cures cancer, and abolishes word hunger by the end of the week there are those who would only hate him more. As for it being based on racisms, who knows I do not know or care what white people think. I gave up on that 30 yrs ago.

August 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paul Begala

Allow me to translate: When the dopey liberals at CNN say Odumbo "rips GOP for excessive partisanship", what they really mean is that the GOP won't cross the aisle and do what Odumbo wants them to do.

August 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. um-duh

the only thing that can be agreed on is that obama is black and that it's always some other parties fault and both sides want the other party to completely bow down to the other so they can fill there pockets through whatever venues are the easiest to obtain at that moment while sticking it in your bum bum.

August 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |