August 16th, 2011

Obama rips GOP for excessive partisanship

President Barack Obama laced into his conservative Republican congressional critics Tuesday, accusing them of putting partisan political concerns before the country's interests.

Appearing before a crowd of farmers and small-business owners in the presidential battleground state of Iowa, Obama called on Congress to help boost an anemic economy by passing an extension of the payroll tax cut and a new road construction bill, among other things.

"America is going to come back from this recession stronger than before," the president declared. But I "need your help sending a message to Congress" that "it's time to put politics aside and get something done," he said.

Elements in Congress refuse to "put country ahead of faction," Obama said. It is time to "put country ahead of party and put the next generation ahead of the next election. That's what I'm fighting for."

Obama's latest salvo against tea party-backed Republicans came in the midst of the president's three-day Midwestern bus tour, ostensibly meant to promote administration's new rural economic development initiatives.

The president is scheduled to discussed a number of political and economic issues during a one-on-one interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Tuesday afternoon.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • Republican Party
  1. One of many Americans

I am soooo tired of whose is black or white. What is happening in our nation is not race related. Obama walked into a big mess and I give him credit for trying to help middle class Americans, if there is such a thing anymore. Who gets paid vacations anymore or even a vacation period? Everyone, rich or poor, should share in the burden to help America get get out of debt. I am tired of the rich taking away from the poor. Remember Robin Hood??

August 16, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Suzie Q?

Half of the citizens of the United States of America live-off of the other half. Plus we have many people living here illegally on top of that. Plus we have at the very least a wasteful government. There's no fixing a system that allows for this. Our system doesn't force this, it allows for it. Go ahead. You are allowed.

August 17, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Gary

Ah, let's see:First he blamed Bush... Then he blamed the Tea Party... Now he's blaming republicans in general. Hum.. wonder who he will blame next? Obama is incompetent, he's a freshman senator that never did much before. What the heck do you expect. Unless we elect someone else (at least that B Hillary would do a good job and be more patriotic!!) we deserve what will happen the next 5 years. Oh and on an earlier post, how can the rich take away from the poor. They have nothing to take away, fool!... They don't work they just soak what the middle and upper income people dole out! Give it up!!

August 17, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Barack Obama deserves to blame himself for this economic mess that we're in. After all, upon assuming the Presidency he chose to play along with the MIC(military-industrial-complex) and throw more money needlessly at the Pentagon and keep us in two of these useless wars and start two more! Every time these right-wing fanatics win, the middle class loses whether most people wish to acknowledge it or not!!!

August 17, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

So 2 years to get out of the recession was enough? No the right wing Tea Party is the self induced fullfilling armageddon. The hi-jacked tea party was a flop, get back to the two party system, give the dems the White house, senate and congress. Give them 4 more years to straighten out the mess. If they fail we try again to start another party to straighten out the mess. 2 years and getting cold feet will not help the nation. At least the Dems will take care of the poor, see if the dems will make the rich pay their fare share, we know where the repubs stand and it is not with the middle class. 1 more chance for the Dems and then the 2 party system is gone if the Dems don't clean up the mess.

August 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RuffNutt

Sorry folks,I didn't post the above. This joker must be a fan of Sarah Paline and the right-wing agenda. How disgusting!

August 17, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pink Panther

Good post RuffNutt,thank you.

August 17, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. Foghat

PERRY / BACHMANN – 2012 FOR SOMALIA !!!! OBAMA / BIDEN – 2012 FOR U.S.A. !!!!

August 17, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. the prophet

stop blocking my post

August 17, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I tried to respond to you a couple of days ago and they did not post mine either.

August 17, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. the prophet

How are you sc...mana me too and I have been posting on other subjets posts. Anyway what shall we discuss other the the usual issues facing Americans!!!
    I am sure you know Washington DC is not part of the United States, rather the home of the Federal Gov't which runs the country. Washington is it's own country like the Vatican is in Rome.

August 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Ok, I posted something and 4 other posts below and they are gone. What the fudge? I guess me saying bad stuff about Mr. Perrys record is out. And the 2 party system going by the way side is out also. Hows the Weather Prophet? I guess they will let me print that, just no real opinions though. Have a great day. No smiley face here today. Either CNN has banned me, hackers take me off or they are having IT problems. (Or they do not like my politics. Chuckle

August 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Running is the key work here.

August 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Grandma

Okay, I am an 87-year old woman living on Social Security and MediCare and I am not in the best of health. I am trying to understand (at my age, it's not so easy). If the Republicans / Tea party wins the White House in 2012 along with the majorities in the House and Senate, are you telling me they're going to cut off my Social Security and MediCare benefits that I worked to fund my whole life? I worked over 50-years. That is not responsible on the part of the Republicans. Also, without MediCare, how exactly am I supposed to continue my chemotherapy? This is terrifying me.

August 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. the prophet

Hi Grandma i think all senior citizens from all the States should walk to Washington.... then you will see impact it will have on our stupid political system. Write to me and lets organize it for the sake of social security next generation.

August 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I won't see it if Ryan Act Comes into play. The republicans are really sticking it to us.

August 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Grandma has cancer and is in chemo, I so not think she will be walking to washington, Prophet. I guess you will have to go there for her and be her advocate.

August 17, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gung hoe

GRANDMA ive read your post and i for one am praying for you to be cured of that horrible desease canser and for peace of mind Grandma the democrats operate on a fearfactor the republicans would never take your retirement The dems tell you that to scare you to get your votes

August 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ackbar Moaba

🙂

August 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Darnol Reagan

That was a good one. 😉

August 17, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charrdi Himlous Nioxn

Got the middle name right.

August 17, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. markjuliansmith

"it's time to put politics aside and get something done," he said.

Reflect on the statement above and what it actually means.

Politics is the very nature of getting 'something done' You cannot have 'something done' without Politics.

What Obama is saying is the current US Political process by which 'something is done' has failed and Congress must get 'something done' by utilizing a different Political process – How Can They – the Political process is Congress interacting with the president of the United States – The President Obama who is a part of exactly the same Political process which is not getting 'something done'.

What Obama should be saying is as he said when going for the office he now holds the current Political Process of which he is now integral – as the Republicans say each election so they can be elected – the current US Political System simply is not operating nor can it because the Political process has proven itself to be flawed.

Democracy is not flawed but the Political process currently being utilized is – admit it and search for an alternative Political process – which would have a greater chance of enabling a non-partisan approach.

Please do it quickly.