On the Radar: Obama in Iowa, violence in Syria, sweat lodge guru's lawyers in court
President Barack Obama brings a town-hall style meeting to Decorah, Iowa, on Monday as part of his Midwest tour.
August 16th, 2011

President's Midwest tour - On his bus tour's second day in the nation's heartland, President Barack Obama is set to meet with farmers and business owners in Peosta, Iowa, an enclave of about 1,700 people in Dubuque County with a large industrial park and a handful of new businesses. The White House has billed the Midwestern tour as an opportunity for the president to talk about job growth and the effects of national economic policy with people in their own communities. Obama also is scheduled to sit down with CNN's Wolf Blitzer for a one-on-one interview Tuesday.

Syrian coastal city under siege - At least five people were killed Tuesday as more violence erupted in the embattled Syrian city of Latakia, said a resident, who requested anonymity for safety reasons. The regime's military offensive there is among the latest round of clashes in the tense Middle Eastern country. Earlier Turkey and Jordan joined the international call for Syria to halt its violent crackdown on anti-government protesters.

Sweat lodge guru - James Arthur Ray, convicted in the deaths of three participants in an Arizona sweat lodge ceremony, deserves a new trial, his attorneys will argue Tuesday. Ray was found guilty of negligent homicide, but an Arizona jury in June found him not guilty of manslaughter charges. Negligent homicide means a defendant should have known better, while manslaughter suggests that the defendant knew and blatantly disregarded this knowledge. Ray's attorneys will say their client is the victim of prosecutorial misconduct because evidence was not disclosed on time.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Barack Obama • Iowa • On the Radar • Politics • Syria
  1. Humber

Good post George, thank you. You said it all.

August 16, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Not one post above is based in fact

The republicans, tea Party, and the prejudice have posted every post above. Not one based on fact. They have elected to shut their minds and not base anything on fact. The congress has alot to do with the funding and keeping the wars going. So blame yourselves for putting a republican congress in, they cause the chaos and you put them in office, so blame yourselves for the endless war, your no better than Bush and Cheney the warlords.

August 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • tlk2me

The issues that are currently being faced in our Gov't are so much deeper than a blame game of parties. Our leadership as a whole does not have the necessary skills for problem solving. That has been completely evident throughout our Recession. At this point in time, pointing fingers is not changing the ecomonic crisis we are facing. Our leadership needs to take ownership as a whole, create a number of plans, make processes and execute them. Apparently, too many people in leadership are sharing their opinions, some of which are self interest based and others that are socially based. This is not a time for opinion. This "CRISIS" is a test of putting differences aside and implementing positive change not only for the short term but the long term as well; that will effect the MAJORITY of our nation. This situation is very black and white. It is unfortunate, that the ADULTS/LEADERS we have in Congress can't seem to get this right. I bet a group of motivated young professionals in fear for their future would be much better problem solvers than this group of Leadership. We've also had a power struggle of State Gov't VS. Fed. Gov't. In this time they more than anyone should be working together. Let's consider most some of the biggest companies in the US use a structure of leadership that is 360 degree based. For instance, Leadership implements a plan, sends it to their subordinates, they tell the employees that will actually execute it. During the time that the employees execute it, they go back to their management and state what worked well and what didn't. The feedback goes back up the ladder and gets taliored to become effient. Revisions to the initial plan are made and back down the ladder it goes until the final plan becomes a Process that works and is implemented going foward when that situation arises. This is what should be taking places with our Gov'ts. Each individual state has their major issues and as well as the United States has its issues. We need to target and correct all of them. The point I am making is WHO CARES WHO'S FAULT IT IS? It doesn't matter who caused it. It needs to get fixed and soon.

August 17, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jade From B'more

AMEN BROTHER!!! AMEN!

October 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. p41

Most People of Colour won't vote for Obama in the next election because he is only a "helper-monkey" for big business, and the oil company's. obamas' "hope and change" platform was true, but only to the rich. What a dog-on shame.

August 16, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jade From B'more

can't say I agreed with you... I'm a multi-colour person and plan on voting for him... well unless something like death prevents me. I love my president. And think he's doing a great job given the situation he went into office with.
      People are looking for a miracle worker if you think all the problems we had sine 2001 would be fixed in 4yrs.

October 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. the prophet

Washingot DC is not part of the united states.... It is a district of Colombia home of the Federal Government. Just like the Vatican is its own country with it's own ammunities and laws. My point is America is not as united as one may think!!!!

August 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the prophet

Ho and China is supplying Pakis...nians insurgennts with untraceable wea....pnry and sofiatigated hardwwere that Chinise went to clean up the mess of chspper down. Evidence was there of the Chinise mussels ...

August 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. the prophet

Misspelling is on purpose so post get published!!!

August 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

Psalm 23

The Divine Shepherd

A Psalm of David.
    1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
    he leads me beside still waters;*
    3 he restores my soul.*
    He leads me in right paths*
    for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,*
    I fear no evil;
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff—
    they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
    you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
    6 Surely* goodness and mercy* shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
    and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord