August 16th, 2011

Report: Immigration program distracts police, destroys trust

Local leaders across the country were presented Tuesday with the results of a report that calls for the end of a controversial Department of Homeland Security program involving local officials in immigration enforcement.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement program, known as Secure Communities, seeks to find unauthorized immigrants who have criminal records and deport them. According to ICE, the program is a "simple and common sense" way to carry out its agency's priorities, which include the removal of those who pose a threat to the public or are repeat immigration offenders.

But the report, written by a coalition of community organizations under the umbrella of the National Community Advisory Committee, found that a large number of immigrants being deported were not criminals and that it distracts from local police work.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • U.S.
  1. JG

Are you here illegally? Yes? Then you have a criminal record.

August 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • jrzydvl

Only if they have been caught. Until they are caught, they are fugitives.

August 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

That's not what that means.

August 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. justathought

When ever the politicans figure out that illegals don't win them any votes the maybe they will do someting about it–as if that will ever happed–politicans are too ignorant to figure that out! Has anyone ever noticed how politicans come "unglued" whenever a state wants to do anything about illegals?

August 16, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nimrod

You will notice that the report was written by a "Coalition of Community Organizations" and that those "Organizations" are not named in the article. Likely to be LULAC, ACLU, etc.

August 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. THELAW

ILLEGALS WHAT UNSECURE COMMUNITIES !!!!!!

August 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. justathought

=============@JG======================== Yes JG , When is the government/people going to realize that! If you are here illeagly you are a criminal, no if's but's or and's Even the presidents have said, "These are good law abiding people." Like–aren't they law students that should know right from wrong, what's law and what is not?

August 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. justathought

=========@OfficeDrone:=============== What are you tallking about?

August 16, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jb

I did a quick Google search on "National Community Advisory Committee" and couldn't find anything. It's almost certainly an open-borders front group that was created for the purpose of writing this report. It's all for the media - nobody who knows anything is actually going to take the report seriously.

August 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GV

What is wrong with our country? ILLEGAL immigrants are criminals, and therefore should be given no rights. They should be sent back where they came from. I believe that anyone who knowingly hires an illegal immigrant is a criminal. Anyone that knows an illegal immigrant and does not report them is a criminal. My question is this: if we are so worried about terrorists and such, why on Earth haven't we secured our borders? That should be a primary concern. If we cannot protect our home soil from people crossing our borders, how can our government reassure our safety? I don't know what is going on in D.C. these days, but something has to give. If our government is not willing to act, then we must. I stand for a government of the people, for the people, and by the people – NOT one that repeatedly does what it wants in spite of the people's wishes.

August 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

Psalm 23

The Divine Shepherd

A Psalm of David.
    1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
    he leads me beside still waters;*
    3 he restores my soul.*
    He leads me in right paths*
    for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,*
    I fear no evil;
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff—
    they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
    you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
    6 Surely* goodness and mercy* shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
    and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    my whole life long.*

August 17, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rosie

Here is what I am confused about. If you are "legitimatly" stopped due to a traffic stop or another criminal arrest, and it is discovered during that investigation that you are an illegal alien, why should you not be immediatly deported? Period, no questions asked, you're outta here. Seems simple, proper, legal, legitimate and violates no due process. Oh, by the way, if you are here illegally, you HAVE NO DUE PROCESS CLAIMS cause our Bill of Rights does not apply to you. Why is this procedure so hard to do?

August 17, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scottihs Mama

If illegals can be handled by the local and the local police are handling the problem, won't dismantling the homeland security save billions?

August 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bad economy leads to crime and violence.

Montgomery County Police Chief Discusses Germantown 7-Eleven Flash Mob Robbery Case on FOX 5 News
    Police: Over half the people in robbery identified
    Updated: Tuesday, 16 Aug 2011, 11:33 PM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 16 Aug 2011, 11:09 PM EDT

WASHINGTON – There are new details on the flash mob robbery in Germantown last Saturday morning.

Surveillance video inside the store showed a group of young people entering the 7-Eleven on Wisteria Drive, grabbing items inside the store and rushing out without paying, all within a minute.

Police say the surveillance video show 28 people were involved and they have identified over half of the individuals.

Montgomery County Police Chief Tom Manger joined us on FOX 5 News to discuss the flash mob theft and the tactics police have used in the investigation to help identify the people in the robbery.

August 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jazzzzzzzz -In god we rust

YOU SUCK BANSAYS DONKY DICK!

August 18, 2011 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ellie

Do you guys know WHY they are illegal?! because they're seeking a better life we won't give them legally. what if this were you hu?!! would you still be like, oh, I think I should be deported jus cuase I'm looking for a better life?! You are all idiots. We should try to help them instead of sending them back to a place where they could get hurt because of what they did. And SOME of them CAN'T change the place they live not mentioning any names.

August 21, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |