August 16th, 2011

Tuesday's live video events

We're more than a year away until the presidential election, but the candidates are hitting the road and looking for support.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage of the race to 2012.

Today's programming highlights...

9:00 am ET - Gingrich talks policy - GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich delivers a policy speech to the Heritage Foundation in Washington.

12:30 pm ET - Bachmann rallies supporters - GOP hopeful Rep. Michele Bachmann  hosts a rally for supporters in South Carolina.

12:50 pm ET - Obama opens Rural Economic Forum - President Obama makes opening remarks at the White House Rural Economic Forum in Iowa.  The event comes on the second full day of the president's Midwest swing.

1:00 pm ET - Rick Perry's Iowa roundtable - GOP presidential candidate Gov. Rick Perry hosts an economic roundtable with business leaders in Dubuque, Iowa.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • Politics
  1. michaelfury

August 16, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Monica

There was a comment made by CNN anchor Ali Velshi this morning that was hurtful and racist. He said quote " Did you guys see President Obama's bus, it was pimped out with rims and everything" and he kept saying it over and over until the female anchor sitting beside him told him that it was not politically correct. Now I've seen the bus and it is no different than the CNN bus your news anchors ride around in. It is not pimped out and nor does it have rims on it....if the truth be known Ali, I believe you are of Indian descent. CNN please make Ali Velshi do a public apology and in the future keep his political views to himself if he is gonna continue to do the news.

August 16, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim Brown

Monica – I was also watching this morning and could't agree with you more. The use of "pimped-out" in reference to the President's fortified bus, was grossly inappropriate and stereotypical. A so-called 'neutral' news network like CNN, should not be casually categorizing a Presidential motorcade in a way that reinforces a black man as a pimp. I host a radio show in DC and in NYC and I would like to get a comment from CNN regarding this. Hopefully, Stewart/Colbert will seize on this and ridicule it relentlessly. And to Humber – to be critical of any elected official, is 100% American and to be critical of Obama is not racist at all. However, the amount of inflammatory and blatantly racist statements (check the comments of ANY youtube video of Obama and see how many times he's called a monkey or the n word), cannot be ignored.

August 16, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Humber

Use of the words "pimp" and "rims" in reference to the President is insulting, but it does not follow that the remark is racist.
    Quite a few men like me, a WASP, are pimps, and some of us sport rims.
    I'd bet that there some Italian and French pimps with rims, too. I haven't noticed.

August 16, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Humber

Not all opposition to President Obama is racist.
    Was all opposition to the last President Bush racist?
    The cry, "racist, racist," is too easy an escape from personal responsibility.

August 16, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cult of Personality

Oh Gee...I already have my mind made up...I am going to vote for Rick Perry / Michelle Bachmann in 2012 as "Commander in Chief" OF SOMALIA...LMAO... OBAMA / BIDEN IN 2012 !!!!

August 16, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Humber

@ Kim Brown:
    As a strong supporter of Obama, I am aware of many racist comments made about him.
    To call him a monkey is one thing. However, I do not see the term "pimp" as confined to any race.
    I hope that Obama wins in 2012.
    I do not think that accusing his critics of racism adds to Obama's posture: I think that it lessens his stature considerably.
    I understand your outlook. You might do well to consider mine.

August 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |