August 17th, 2011

Wednesday's live video events

We're more than a year away from the presidential election, yet the race to the White House is already at full speed.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage of the presidential campaign.

Today's programming highlights...

7:45 am ET - Race to 2012: Rick Perry breakfast talk - GOP presidential candidate Gov. Rick Perry speaks at a "Politics and Eggs" breakfast in Bedford, New Hampshire.

11:30 am ET - Perry's New Hampshire business tour - Following breakfast, Perry will tour a laser machining company in Nashua and make remarks.

12:45 pm ET - Obama's Illinois town hall meeting - President Obama holds a town hall-style meeting on jobs in Atkinson, Illinois.

4:30 pm ET - Obama wraps up Midwest tour – The president concludes his three-day bus tour of the Midwest with a town hall-style meeting in Alpha, Illinois.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • Politics
  1. Jazzzzzzz

@ Scottish Mama ... Don't worry Rick Perry just killed any chance at the Presidancy by agreeing that the FEDERAL RESERVE should be audited

August 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottihs Mama

I would want an audit just not Rick Perry to do it.

August 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Why does cnn carry some president elects and not Ron Paul is he not news worthy

August 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@ron-more worthy than Perry.

August 18, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzz

Much agreed Scottish Mama... ((((HUG)))

August 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Good to hear ya jazzzzzzz, I just am having a right wing attack this afternoon and it looks as if you are going between 2 threads, I just saw your other post. lSpreading yourself alittle thin on threads? It seems the right is going hard right. I am giving the Dems another try,if they get the congress back and then I want another party to rear its head if they do not get the country going strong and help the middle class.

August 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzz

Aww, Mama... Yeah I am cause I won't be able to blog for the next couple of days. The Dems have always had my vote. It's hard for me to picture any Republican getting steamed about us poor folk getting kicked around.

August 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CEOcarlylegroup

@ Scottish Mama:
    Be sure to differentiate between "Joey" and the other guy, "JIF" aka "Joey Isotta-Fraschini."

August 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I thought jif, joey, and Joey Isotta-frachini were one and the same. Sometimes I can tell.
      About Carlyle Group I see they have donated a huge amout 14.5 million I think to the Duke University Library.

August 18, 2011 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

smart... NPR August 12th news about the CEO of GM stepping down on the same day that it's announced Daniel Akerson will take over. Akerson was Managing Director of The Carlyle Group.

portion of the article to follow

The selection of a Carlyle Group official to run GM could invite some controversy since private-equity concerns as a group have faced growing criticism for wringing profits out of companies they've invested in often at the expense of employees and the company itself.

On the other hand, a look at Akerson's biography clearly has experience running companies facing challenges and undergoing restructuring. As a private-equity official, he held top positions at General Instrument, MCI, Nextel and XO Communications.

GM, whose shares stopped being traded publicly when the company went through a federally guided restructuring, is preparing to once again sell shares to the public through a initial public offering.

August 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

grrrrrrrrr, I just tried to write my own comment and you boogers won't let me post !

August 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

good night Irene, this stinks, I really can't understand why my comment isn't allowed !

August 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzz

bankruptcy

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

ok, it's not the word bankruptcy... wth

August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I have had a lot of problems posting also. I am starting to wonder if someone is hitting the report abuse on me and that causes the prob?

August 18, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. the prophet

@scottish its not published yet...most publishers wouldn’t publish it I have been told my material is too sensitive and revolutionary that would cause pro-sentimentalism across the world.

August 18, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Isn't that being censored?

August 18, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |