Two mauled in shark attacks off Russia's east coast
A great white shark, such as this one off South Africa in 2009, is suspected in two attacks off Russia's east coast.
August 19th, 2011

Two mauled in shark attacks off Russia's east coast

Swimming has been banned in the Sea of Japan off Russia's Far Eastern Primorye Territory after two shark attacks in the past week have left two people hospitalized, Russian media report.

The first attack occurred Wednesday when a 25-year-old man lost both arms up to the elbow, Pravda reported. He was hospitalized in serious condition but expected to survive, according to the report.

Witnesses said the shark was about 13 feet (4 meters) long with large fins, according to the Pravda report.

The second attack occurred in a nearby area Thursday when a 16-year-old boy suffered severe wounds to his legs, RIA Novosti reported. The boy was hospitalized in Vladivostok, the report said. The boy's diving suit prevented the shark from taking his legs, according to a Moscow Times report.

Authorities suspect the same shark was responsible for both attacks, according to the Pravda report.

Alexander Sokolovsky, a candidate of biological sciences at the Far Eastern Department of the Russian Academy of Sciences, told Pravda that recent storms may have made the waters off Russia's eastern coast more desirable for sharks.

"After a typhoon, the waters here become even better for sharks. The sharks are very sensitive to ecology, but the water here is clear," Pravda quoted Sokolovsky as saying. "They come here for food. When there is a shortage of their common food fish and squid they swim here searching for bigger food seals, for example. Maybe the shark took those two people for seals."

Great white sharks have been spotted in the region before, but these are the first attacks Sokolovsky has seen in 51 years in the area, according to Pravda.

Authorities were putting together a team to find and kill the suspect shark, according to the RIA Novosti report.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Russia • Sharks
  1. fish192

When is the media/researches/people going to accept the fact that sharks eat people too. Whether they mistake us as seals or not, it doesn't matter. Do we hear a story where the shark spit back out our body parts and say, "Yeck, humans taste nasty"?

August 19, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Retired Military in San Antonio

Actually.....that's exactly what most sharks who bite humans do. They tend to break off their attack once that actually get the taste of human flesh.....and the sometimes 'spit' out whatever the bite off from a human.

August 19, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • paul

Good point. Its something us humans take for granted, when we step off into the waters, its not our world anymore.

August 19, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Martin Brody

Two fails in one! Good job!
      Usually, in a shark attack, the shark takes one bite, then spits it out. So, yes, we hear of that.
      There is also recent research that indicates the reason more animals don't attack and eat humans is we taste bad, and not just to sharks.

August 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim F.

The whole thing sounds kind of fishy to me.

August 19, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Ruderalis

They can smell a drop of blood over a mile away and you're going to tell me they cant tell the difference between a human and a seal? I don't believe it.

August 19, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. brown

No need to hunt and kill the shark.

August 19, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Humans are invading the sharks' home. I fail to understand how killing the shark is going to change anything. Very archaic way of dealing with an issue. Shark is a predator in the ocean environment, humans are prey if they are swimming in the sharks' environment. Don't kill the shark.

August 19, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • ryan

The only reason they are really killing the shark is to satisfy the public. The public wants something done. Someone or something must pay. I agree....it really does not do anything and I find it near impossible to find and kill the correct shark. So what really prob. happens a lot of the time is they kill any shark in the area.....and hope it's the one that attacked the humans. It's sad....since shark populations are more scarce these days....and YES....we are swimming in THEIR ENVIRONMENT. It's going to happen from time to time. Period

August 19, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Retired Military in San Antonio

@ fish192, who said: "Do we hear a story where the shark spit back out our body parts and say, "Yeck, humans taste nasty"?"

August 19, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. vladmir smirnof

in soviet russia, shark eats you!

August 19, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thizz

Damn, I came to post that lol.

August 19, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Junebug

His name is Yakov, not Vladmir.

August 19, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dano973

Kim... I sentence you to a week of watching "Shark Week". There's a reason why guys in black wetsuits get bitten (not eaten) by sharks...go learn.

August 19, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sharky Sharkingham III

Hi, I'm a great white shark and I have a cousin in Russia named Vladimir. Vladimir Sharkovsky III. He said he wasn't the one that did this but I'm not sure I believe him.

August 19, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. justathought

===========@Mat9:28================= Dolfins killing people? I won't dispute it, but I've never heard of it, in fact I've heard that dolfins enjoy playing with people and even protecting them. There is even a recent story about a man's sailboat upseting and dolfins supported and guided the man to shore where they left him.

August 19, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • jwhop78

And never called him again!!

August 19, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. alexanderangnjski

enough is enough, lets all kill every single living shark, then share the grilled shark steak to all

August 19, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ruderalis

I'm down, as long as we can kill off all the whales too!

August 19, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Helena22

Go swim in a pool. Problem solved.

August 19, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. LuLu A.

It is ridiculous that after any animal attack on a human, authorities go out to hunt the "suspect" animal, as if the animal were a criminal. First off, they'll never get the right animal. They just pretend to so people won't be afraid. Second, how many humans attack animals every day in slaughterhouses, hunting grounds, circuses, medical labs, rituals, etc? I think the score is far from even.

August 19, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • e=mc2

Nonsense, human life is of much greater value than that of an animal.

August 19, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wayne

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish! Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycod. This shark, swallow ya whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back the tourists, that'll put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant! I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

August 19, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • jwhop78

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

August 19, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Sharky Sharkingham III

Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity.

August 19, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kolja

Where are the daily font page news reports of: "Dogs bit two people in [insert place here]"? You'd need an extra website just for that! What's so special about being bitten by a shark? At least that's easily avoided (by not going into the sea) while a dog can get you anywhere...

August 19, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. will

prolly exploritory bites.
    most things don't survive predations by a white shark.
    sound theory tho.
    young male..just hit grew up..came in to feed on some seals...using the silt the storm threw up as cover...bam.

killing "the shark" sounds like a pr move. also, a very difficult one to prove, not that peole would really care. any ole' 13 foot shark would be ok for most folks.

August 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Ruderalis

I remember my scuba instructor telling me, "they're more scared of you, than we are of them." LOL ok! I always knew that was BS. Or "they don't like the taste of human blood." Sharks eat EVERYTHING. Anythings from plastic bottle, coffee cans, and license plates have been found in their stomachs. If they are hungry, or even just curious, they will take your limbs and your life period.

August 19, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. beagler

o boy!!!...here comes he russian spetznas after those 2 sharks!!!!

August 19, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse | Reply