August 22nd, 2011

Irene hits Puerto Rico, becomes a hurricane

Irene strengthened into the first hurricane of 2011 early Monday, dumping heavy rain on Puerto Rico as it moved towards the Dominican Republic and Haiti, with Florida a distant potential target.

The storm was forecast to drop up to 10 inches of rain on much of the Caribbean, from Puerto Rico to the Turks and Caicos. In some areas, the National Hurricane Center said, 20 inches of rain could fall.

As of 7 a.m. Monday, the storm and its 75 mph sustained winds were located north of Puerto Rico, moving northwest at about 14 mph. It was expected to reach the Dominican Republic on Monday afternoon.

A hurricane warning was in effect for parts of Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and the central Bahamas. Tropical storm warnings were up for the U.S and British Virgin Islands, the south coast of the Dominican Republic, Haiti and the southeastern Bahamas.

The storm could cause dangerous flash floods and mudslides in the mountainous terrain of the Dominican Republic and Haiti, the Hurricane Center warned.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Hurricanes • U.S. • World
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Yep, that proves it!
    There's global war–climate change.

August 22, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

it's getting bigger... i'm thinking about the cnn hot blog chicks..

August 22, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mad Hatter

Whoohoo!!!! Hurricane party!!!! Its heading my way. I already stocked up and ready!!!!!

August 22, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

JIF you hit right on the head, RUFFNUT good one. Mad hatter, no funny.

August 22, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

thx 🙂 i suprise even myself sometimes.

August 22, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Batten down the hatches, here come Mother Nature Irene!

Not the real JIF.
    @Mad Hatter:
    I love Hurricane Parties.
    I have friends and family in Florida; they give the best hurricane parties!

August 22, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RUFFNUTT

I'D GO OUTSIDE AND make some bird wing and try to fly///

August 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. slider

Testing....

August 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. slider

Hey...what am I saying wrong that you will not post my 3 tries? You posted "Testing" why not anything else. I lived down there and what I said is the way it is there. Am I to politically incorrect for you?

August 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • slider

Well you allowed this post but not any of my other three tries. Still don't know what I said that you objected to. Maybe this will make it because you must agree with it.....OBAMA IS GOD!!!!!! Bet you like that one and it will fly onto this blog. Love you CNN..even though I didn't mention Obama on the other three.

August 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. slider

There goes another tea partier trolling my name as well as troll banasy with that little fake mark. These right wing nuts are posting right wing mumbo-jumbo. These posts are meaningless and must be deleted by CNN!

August 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mad Hater

Good post slider,thank you. You said it all.

August 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. slider

I am another tea partier trolling slider's name as well as always stealing banasy's and RUFFNUTT's names. I am a right wing nut who likes posting right wing mumbo-jumbo. These posts are meaningless and must be deleted by CNN!

August 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mad Hater

Good post slider,thank you. You said it all. I stole Mad Hatter's name to agree, but I'm so stupid I spelled the name wrong!!!

August 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Good post slider,thank you.

August 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sorin

Today the leader of Canadian opposition Layton (NDP) died from cancer:
    Remember him for what?!?!?!
    Letter from God: He was an angry man. Remember his stupid persistence on global warming and other stupid things he did, that will bring all of you down. These are the facts. God teaches you to tell the truth and some Canadians still do not want to admit that. He has a sure place in hell. There are pple that deserve no respect. 365 days a year. He was ordered to carry a torch and made most of you angrier about God. That was his mission.

August 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |