Digits: Libya by the numbers
Libyans take to the streets of Benghazi late Sunday to celebrate the rebel advance on Tripoli.
August 22nd, 2011

Digits: Libya by the numbers

18 – Countries in the Middle East and Africa with widespread anti-government protests in the Arab Spring.

3 – Days after the fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak that calls go out on Facebook for peaceful demonstrations in Libya against leader Moammar Gadhafi.

162 – Days between Mubarak’s fall (February 11, 2011) and Libyan rebel forces entering Tripoli (August 21, 2011)

42 – Years Moammar Gadhafi has been the leader of Libya.

6,597,960 – Population of Libya estimate as of July 2011

3 – Sons of Moammar Gadhafi who are reportedly in custody of rebel forces as of August 22, 2011

10 – Total number of Moammar Gadhafi’s sons and daughters

1970 and 1973 – The United Nations Security Council Resolutions that authorize “all necessary measures” to protect Libyan civilians.

19,977 – Number of NATO sorties that have been conducted since March 31, 2011 to August 22, 2011.

3 – Volumes of Moammar Gadhafi’s Green Book, where he outlines his philosophical views

5 – Times Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has delivered official remarks about Libya in 2011 to date.

31 – Members of the Libyan National Transitional Council that represent cities across the country.

1959 – Year oil was discovered in Libya.

1,542,000 barrels per day – Amount of oil exported daily from Libya (2007 est.)

1,704,000 barrels per day – Amount of oil exported daily from the United States (2008 est.)

25% – Percentage of Libyan’s GDP that is earned from the oil sector

Post by:
Filed under: Libya • World
  1. A Libyan Rebel on the scene

...I have been released...they thought I was metally handicapped...good...they were fooled...but I have no gun now...I must act natural...too natural...I look again at my crumpled family picture, now browned and smelly...too smelly...where to now...maybe find Gadhafi...I will be a hero...I look around me...do any of these people look like Gadhafi...no...but they are all brown and smelly...

August 22, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. A Libyan Rebel on the scene

...a street vendor is asking me if I need moldy things for free...he thinks I am a begger...dogs look at me with pity...

August 22, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jimmy

Do you really think it's a coincidence that the nato strikes have coincided with obama's popularity being at an all time low? Perhaps we can send in the navy seals to effect an altruistic burial @ sea before we see the body. After all it's the proper muslim tradition these days, no? Can not wait for the official u.s. State department sxnopsis. Isn't hilary barak's condie? Mark my words, these idiots will continue to repeat history like the red army did in afghanistan!

August 22, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. One on One

@ Libyan Rebel, LMAO.. Is that you RUFFNUTT, LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

August 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@Jimmy:

Do you really think that the NATO strikes are just a big campaign ploy?
    Really?
    Soooo...Libya started its unrest at the behest of the POTUS?
    Wow.

August 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sheryl

I went to Libya once, on business.
    They weren't nice to me at all.
    Maybe it'll be better now.

August 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. big jim

If you was driving an 18 wheeler with a heavy load behind you wouldnt be worried about other countries like this. All us truckers need to band together and have ourselves a convoy. CONVOY. CONVOY. Breake 1 9 what is your 10 20 good buddy? Im headin out of LOUseeANNA headin towards the big I 10. Gotta load of peaches and im about to put the hammer down. COOOONVOOOY.

August 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. big jim

I gotta pet monkey named BEAR and a KENWORTH haulin a load. 10 4 good buddy i goota use the coooomode.

August 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. big jim

convoooooooy.

August 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jimmy

Banasy.... Fyi: no its not about that alone. Its about strategic middle east location location location so the u.s. And their jewish christ killing buddies have an advantage, no? Bet u believed ghadafis sons were prisoners too huh. Propaganda my friend....

August 22, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ajd041

@jimmy why did u say location twice? And some of these comments make me laugh but i believe the U.N. Is very hypocritical they strive for peace yet issue mandates for war....

August 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RUFFNUTT

Thank you RUTTNUFF for letting me troll you this time and letting me be disgusting. I love the Tea Party and I love the lingo. On the other hand, I know that those pilots would love to see me "eject"!!! I am a coward who likes to troll people and I call that “serving the country”!!!

August 23, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mr. Rogers

Trolls are morons. I should know. I see them on the short bus all the time.

August 23, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jimmy

@adj041 i said it 3 times. Ignorance is bliss. Loc loc loc is a real estate term. Probably 2 young 2 know. This is a u.s. Valkyrie. 12 21 12. Thee dday

August 23, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jerry BonBon

@Libyan Rebel
    We want more! Much more.
    You wrote very funny stuff... Too funny.
    But you wrote little... too little...
    We want more!