Jobs resigns as Apple CEO, to stay as chairman
August 24th, 2011

Jobs resigns as Apple CEO, to stay as chairman

[Updated at 6:57 p.m. ET] Apple CEO Steve Jobs has resigned and will be replaced by former Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, the company said late Wednesday. Jobs will stay on as Apple's chairman.

Apple made no mention of Jobs' health in its statement about the change, but Jobs alluded to it in the letter of resignation Jobs sent to Apple's board on Wednesday and later released publicly.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," wrote Jobs, who has been on medical leave since January. Cook has been filling in as the company's leader.

FULL STORY ON CNNMONEY.COM
Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Technology
  1. Billy Jack

God bless and keep you Steve Jobs. You dreamed a dream and you built it, but now you know that money isn't everything, Love is.

August 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really??

Steve jobs ripped off Steve Wozniak when they were at Atari. He also stopped all philanthropic programs established by Apple because he doesn't believe in charity. He rules his employees with an iron fist and he even has to APPROVE the meals served in the cafeteria. Employees have to LEARN how to present to Jobs. He is a narcissistic opportunist who exploited his good ideas to OVERCHARGE his loyal customers who worship him like he is a deity and buy into everything blindly without bothering to see of there are any superior technology solutions available. Hopefully Apple will AT LEAST allow FLASH on their devices or maybe even allow the Amazon store to sell again.. oh wait, MAYBE they will even stop dogging their customers for jail breaking the devices that THEY OWN. All of this just so they can corral their loyal fans through the iTunes and app store so they can make even MORE money than they already have. REALLY???

August 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frangible

Cancer sucks. I don't think they'll ever be able to truly replace Jobs. Perhaps HP was a bit too premature in surrendering the market.

August 24, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. no big DEAL

no big DEAL

ANY free trade agreements broken? EXACTLY... why so serious then?

ANY of the FREE TRADE agreements broken? NOPE...

Relax... buy stock.... its good for your endorphins...and the dolphins also !!!

August 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Calabrese

Wishing you well Steve...thanks for years of your hard work and exceptional vision. You have made our lives more enjoyable and our world more tolerable.

August 24, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "I Mac, I Pod, I Phone, I RETIRE"

Steve Jobs – Why do you waste my time like this. Who is going end up dying with the most toys? You or Bill Gates.

August 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jon

@Trish: knock it off with the spamming, don't you know it's illegal.

August 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. stevejobsinc

Tim Cook – Apple CEO? Is that that the best they can come up with? I wrote extensively about this on my blog... stevejobsinc.blogspot.com/2011/04/tim-cook-steve-jobs-succesor.html

August 25, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |