August 25th, 2011

Hurricane warning issued for coastal North Carolina

[Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET] A hurricane warning has been issued for coastal North Carolina from Little River Inlet north to the Virginia border, including the Pamlico, Albemarle and Currituck sounds, the National Hurricane Center said in its 5 p.m. ET advisory.

The warning is for Hurricane Irene, which on Thursday was pounding the Bahamas as a Category 3 storm.

A hurricane watch also has been issued for the U.S. East Coast from the Virginia-North Carolina border northward to Sandy Hook, New Jersey, including Delaware Bay and the Chesapeake Bay south of Smith Point, the hurricane center said.

Five governors - those of New York, Virginia, New Jersey, Maryland and North Carolina - have declared a state of emergency for at least parts of their states. The emergency declarations allow states to free funds and prepare resources that may be needed.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Hurricanes • North Carolina • Tropical weather • Weather
  1. toomanyids

But will it rain out the Yankee Oriole series this weekend?

August 25, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jim

That's ok, I'll be stupid and ride it out. After all nothing will happen to me right?

August 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kevin

@amy/trish: it is against the law to commit internet fraud, so yes I'll visit your sight so I know just who to report to the FBI.

August 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, Amy.
    How ya doin,' honey?
    I collecting donations for Good Charities, Ltd.! Smiley face.
    If you'd like to be a part of God Cares for YOU, or of Good Charities, Ltd., there's an initial donation of one thousand dollars and thirty-seven cents to get your account set up under government regulations and guidance lines.
    I'll be back atcha with a back account number (Chase) for your deposits.
    God bless you now and for evermore.

August 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. funky bunch

I have a sudden urge to buy plywood.

August 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kim

Oh just great a hurricane crossed eyed, crow feets hag of a hurricane called irene. Yuck why do they give names to these dam hurricanes anyway. Why don,t they call them what they are terrible storms that dump alot of rain ,debrie, and high winds, down trees, messed up building, and homes also people die in these storms if they don't leave and business loose money. Its a act of nature why do we put a name on it anyway.
    I hate that hag hurricane irene.

August 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. me

my heart goes out to guys on the coast, wish you all the best. let the lord be with you while irene comes! god bless, your in my prayers!

August 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Lol Kim, let it all out girl. In with the good,out with the bad!

August 26, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mandy

Whats the deal with helpfaye.org ? If you google it..it has been posted on every news article blog I see. I checked out the site, in my opinion not enough info to convince me to give money. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 BC march 2010, I didn't have to set up a website asking for donations. They are legit foundations out there for this purpose. Amy perhaps you should look into those channels. Cancercare.org, The Patient's Advocate Foundation etc... I really hope you aren't scamming people because I will track your IP and report you the IC3. Many people are fighting this battle and it would be unconscionable of you if this were a scam

That said, I hope everything works out for your friend

August 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jones

If a major news story did a segment on Mary Faye then we could find out if it is legit or not. I'm still not sure.

September 13, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |