August 25th, 2011

Smitten Gadhafi? Rebels find Condoleezza Rice photo book

We'd long heard that Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi admired former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. In 2007, he called her "Leeza ... my darling black African woman" whom he loved "very much."

Just words? Perhaps. Or maybe, as a discovery this week suggests, he really was quite impressed.

Rebels ransacking his Bab al-Aziziya compound in Tripoli found a photo album of Rice, The New York Times reports.

A description of the album, from the Times:

"There she is, in one (picture), smiling off to the side, her flip-do accented perfectly for the camera. And there she is in another, smiling next to you-know-who during that visit to Tripoli. He is wearing a flowing white robe with purple sash and Africa pin; she looks more businesslike in a gray pinstripe suit with white pearls, her flip-do having given way to a page-boy bob."

Rice was with the Bush administration when the United States restored relations with Libya in 2005, after Gadhafi decided to abandon his pursuit of weapons of mass destruction, renounce terrorism and compensate victims of a 1986 disco bombing in Berlin and the 1988 Pan Am 103 bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland.

In a 2007 interview with Al Jazeera, Gadhafi said this about Rice:

"I support my darling, black African woman. ... I admire and am very proud of the way she leans back and gives orders to the Arab leaders. ... I love her very much. I admire her, and I'm proud of her because she's a black woman of African origin."

Gadhafi met with Rice the next year, when Rice made the first visit by a U.S. secretary of state to Libya in more than 50 years. CNN's Elise Labott reported on their meeting in a reception room at Gadhafi’s Tripoli compound:

"Gadhafi, wearing a white robe and a black fez but not his trademark dark sunglasses, shook the hands of the male members of Rice's staff but not Rice, instead offering the traditional greeting of his hand over his heart for her," Labott reported in her CNN.com piece, noting that Muslim men are prohibited from shaking hands with women to whom they are not related.

Rice's office, when reached by CNN on Thursday for reaction to the photo album, said she'd reserve comment until the release of her book on November 1.

Fouad Ajami, a Middle East expert, senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and an outspoken critic of Gadhafi, provided some context regarding why Gadhafi would stress Rice's African roots and comment on her dealings with Arab leaders.

"He ... fancied himself at one point as something of an African," Ajami told CNN's Joe Johns on Thursday. "He basically said at one point that Libya is an African country, (that) it has nothing to do with the Arabs. And he dubbed himself king of the kings of Africa, and he turned his back on the Arabs."

Ajami said he wouldn't think Rice is thrilled.

"Secretary Rice is an esteemed colleague ... at Hoover and something of a friend, so I don't think she's flattered by this," Ajami told Johns on "The Situation Room."

Post by:
Filed under: Condoleezza Rice • Libya
  1. Rex Lutherin

CR reminds me of that weasel in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Ya know? The one with the big beady eyes and slurping at the mouth? Yeah, that one. Ecchhhh!! Just the fact she is indeed that scary looking invalidates this story.

August 26, 2011 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rex Lutherin

Based on this story, I really think what America needs is one muther of a major disaster to whip it into shape. A major calamity that will teach it a lesson on NOT how to behave on the world scene. Seriously, WHO in their right mind would believe this for even a split second??

August 26, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
    • BOB

You are right. No one in his or her (not "their") right mind would believe America needs a major disaster. Just you.

August 26, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Aristocles

Well, let us hope this undermines what little prestige he has left. Ew.

August 26, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. Moniker Lewinsky

"Due to volume, not all posts will appear". You aren't being censcored, it's just a busy night. You know you were censored when your post appears, and later on CNN deletes it. (any posts containing unmasked vulgarities obviously do not get posted, ever) So sometimes you must eat sh/t and bark at the moon.

August 26, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex Lutherin

Hey, thanks for explaining that. I appreciate it.

August 26, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex Lutherin

Oh, and I'm barking... I'm barking and frothing at the mouth too 😉

August 26, 2011 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rex Lutherin

Oh, but of course the FBI and CIA will be at my door accusing me of being a terrorist for even "thinking" negative thoughts about a country full of spoiled-rotten, self-absorbed, mindless-zombie idiots. (With sincere apologies to all you smart Americans who can't afford to leave).

August 26, 2011 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. 66Biker

Now we know for sure... The guy is touched in the head. Somebody get him a Doctor!

August 26, 2011 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

What else do you expect from a w h 0 r e?

August 26, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bubbs

I wonder why the haven't reported on the bizzare appearance of a Gaddafi photo album in Rice's home?

August 26, 2011 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Moniker Lewinsky

@Rex Lutherin...we already tried that. ("what America needs is one mutha of a major disaster to whip her into shape")Neither the AIDS pandemic nor our nationwide obesity epidemic have encouraged changes in our behavior. Do you have any other suggestions that we haven't already experienced?

August 26, 2011 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex Lutherin

Geez, you're right... I didn't think of those things. Darn, so what next??

August 26, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex Lutherin

By the way, love your nickname, can we have tea together sometime? 😉 And I DO mean that sincerely.

August 26, 2011 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bob Ramos

Rice was in the perfect position to have been able to advise Bush as to what the real picture was regarding Iraq and Afghan. In this, she failed big time. This is her legacy in history.

August 26, 2011 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex Lutherin

Rice's Bush was in WHAT position again?? Ewww...

August 26, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. sam

My turn again.. lol.. I still think she is a snakey little sl##.. It would not surprise me when Cheney comes out with the book today that she was involved with the 9/11.. From pics. and videos of her and Gadhafi they seemed like a good team.. just my opionion.

August 26, 2011 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex Lutherin

And I STILL think she looks like the weasel character from the Warner Bros. cartoons.

August 26, 2011 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. Moniker Lewinsky

@Bubbs...good one! I wonder who Condi fantasizes about. I bet it involves whips, handcuffs, and Bill Clinton. That's just me though.

August 26, 2011 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. sam

Oh yeah.. What is it with Rice? is it better with Beatles or Snakes..lol

August 26, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Moniker Lewinsky

@Bob...as if Bush didn't already know. Get a clue. The Bush family helped found The Carlyle Group who own mineral rights to the land-locked Caspian Basin. The only way to get this oil and Ng to market, namely India and China, is to build pipelines through some of the most hostile places on earth. Places like Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran. (next). Condi Rice was even a member of this group for a time. But then, so were 26 members of the Bin Laden family.

August 26, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. sam

Im not racist.. im just being truthful they liked eachother and she must not like us that much.. like I said it was a opinion and those are like a22holes and we all have one..lol @Bendayho

August 26, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |