August 25th, 2011

UK minister to discuss Twitter, Facebook bans

British Home Secretary Theresa May will sit down with officials from the social media industry Thursday, her office said, as the government considers trying to ban people from social networking during or after crises.

Twitter, Facebook, and BlackBerry maker Research in Motion all declined to say what position they would take at the meeting.

Top police officers and other government officials will also be present for the meeting, which follows riots that swept England earlier this month.

Prime Minister David Cameron suggested limits on social networking in the wake of the unrest.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Facebook • Technology • Twitter • United Kingdom • World
  1. George Patton

It sounds like that idiot David Cameron and his henchmen would blame the social media for the recent riots in London and other cities in England. They'll never admit to that country's deteriorating economy as the true cause of the peoples' frustrations as that might make them look as bad as they truly are!!! What a bunch of idiots!

August 25, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. michaelfury

August 25, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. jj

screw ur facebook! im goin fishin...will bring my sunscreen

August 25, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. human as you

TOTAL POLICE STATES, PASS THE BLAME TO THE PEOPLE...

August 25, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Frank

People of the United Kingdom and the United States of America,
    Does this really surprise anyone,control of the people is the name of the game with all governments,control the information flow and the people are supposed to follow.

August 25, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "Freedom Of Speech - disallowed"

"Perhaps Theresa May will have the oppotunity to meet Irene (sorry I don't know her last name)."

August 25, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

Are they going to stop people from texting, e-mailing & making phonecalls!? Are they gonna go so far as to demand "voluntary" confiscation of cells & laptops!? Because those evil contraptions are obviously the cause of "civil unrest"! It couldn't be the unecessary use of force by law officers, causing death to persons who are supposed to get a day in court!? It couldn't be that people in nations that used to have a thriving middle class, now have government that are so busy kissing rears of big biz & lining pockets, that millions of people are feeling disenfranchised!? I think there better be some research into this issue, before politicians go "police state" on us! If they do it in the UK, the US isn't far behind! That BART thing is still fresh in peoples minds!!

August 25, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

I'm with you, jj...
    It's gorgeous out!
    I'm outside as soon as I get off work...

August 25, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@George Patton:

I never thought I'd ever say this to you but..I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

August 25, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Hi, fernace.

And, word.

August 25, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

Good grief banasy! Must you steal my name day after day and put that silly little trademark by MY NAME? You are obviously a fan of Sarah Palin and the right-wing thugs in Washington. You must also support that obscene war in the Middle East. Shame on you! You and the war make me sick! I am so disgusted!

August 25, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

I'll tell you what gets my goat,banasy, you have an illegal war with the right-wing thugs in Washington wanting to dominate not only the Middle East,but the entire world. Yet,the American people could care less. How shameful!

August 25, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Good post fernace,thank you. You said it all.

August 25, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pink Panther

Good post banasy,thank you.

August 25, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. David Letterman

Good post Pink Panther,thank you.

August 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |