August 27th, 2011

'Mild earthquake' reported in New York, governor says

A 2.9 magnitude earthquake has been reported near Altamont, New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a statement Saturday.

"Although this was a mild earthquake, out of an abundance of caution, I have ordered immediate inspection of nearby infrastructure, including a NYPA (New York Power Authority) inspection of the Blenheim-Gilboa Dam in Schoharie County," Cuomo said.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • New York • U.S.
  1. Thing Two

We're in Schenectady County, NY getting pounded by this storm and I'm reading some of these comments, thinking about human nature and just how ugly it can be.

August 28, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. CarlosB1

Interesting how natural disasters that have perfectly adequate scientific explanations bring end-timers out of the woodwork, whereas they have nothing to say about things like peanut allergies and autism that harm as many people or more and do not have adequate scientific explanations. Why not attribute those to God's wrath and leave the hurricanes and earthquakes to known causes?

August 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kathy

CNN AND CABLE NETWORKS ARE NOT RELIABLE SOURCES ON ANY SUBJECT. I WOULD BE EMBARRASSED TO ADMIT AN ASSOCIATION WITH ANY OF THESE NETWORKS WHO OVERSTATE EVERYTHING, AND FAIL TO PROVIDE THE TRUTH WHEN IT'S CRITICAL TO THE WELL BEING OF EVERY CITIZEN, EVEN FOR THE CULPRITS WHO THINK THEY HAVE THEMSELVES COVERED. THEY DON'T.

HURRICAN IRENE DIDN'T TURN OUT TO BE THE DISASTER THEY STRONGLY PREDICTED AND HOPED FOR. NEGLIGENCE AND POOR ENGINEERING CREATED THE DEVASTATION BROUGHT ON BY KATRINA. HURICANES ARE WATER DIRECTED AND ALWAY LOSE GREAT INTENSITY AS THEY APPROACH A COASTLINE WHICH IS NOT AN ISLAND SURROUNDED BY WATER.

FACT IS ALWAYS MORE INTERESTING THAN FICTION. I CAN WATCH THE HISTORY CHANNEL AND LOSE TRACK OF TIME BEING INTERESTED. IT'S SO UNFORTUNATE THAT THE TRIO IN CABLE NEWS ARE NOT FUNDAMENTALLY HONEST AND INTELLIGENT. THEY GROSSLY NEGATE THOSE ATTRIBUTES IN THE LARGER POPULATION AND HAVE BECOME THE BIGGER PROBLEM THAN THE ISSUES THEY DISTORT.

WHERE WOULD WE BE AS A COUNTRY IF THE NEWS REPORTED THE TRUTH AS IT REALLY IS? I KNOW THE ANSWER. THRIVING ECONOMICALLY, FAR SAFER, PRODUCTIVE AND MOVING FORWARD TO MEET THE CHALLENGES NOT YET UNDERSTOOD.

August 28, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ gung hoe:
    If that was you who addressed me (not a troll), and assuming you left out one work, I do like you. Your nom de plume is cool, and we agree a lot, as I remember.
    I don't really believe in God. We may disagree about that.
    Disagreement is unrelated to liking somebody.

August 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Where have I been?
    August was supposed to be my long vacation, but it's turned out not to be.

August 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Is there any creative writing course that advocates pouring glue into the caps-lock key?
    Of course, it would be a high-school subject.

August 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • XmasLloyd

No, but there ARE some grammar courses available. 😉

August 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Hope all my bloggin pals (and even those who arent )are alright.

August 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. the prophet

There will be a massive earthquake next week in Las Vegad Nevada 7.9 followed by an eruption of yellow stone

August 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fernace

Hey Peter Osteen! My family frequented your dads church back in the 70's!I knew you & your bro Joel when y'all were mere babies! You know what, I think you're right, these are the end days & have been for several thousand years! After all, 1 day to God(Allah, Jah, Jehova, Yaweh, Elohim) is like a thousand to us! Anyway, I like Bella's take on the E-quake! You made me laugh at7:30 am TX. time! Usually I'm a zombie at that hour!Not a morning person! Anyway we are alive, thank the power of the universe, to see another day, & if we die God's got us!!

August 29, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Johnnie Getz

Does anyone have information on the floods and earthquake on Guinea Road in Gilboa, NY?

September 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |