Source: Polygamist leader Jeffs in coma in Texas hospital
A jury earlier this month sentenced polygamist leader Warren Jeffs to life in prison for sexual assault.
August 29th, 2011

Source: Polygamist leader Jeffs in coma in Texas hospital

[Updated, 7:50 p.m. ET] A source familiar with the medical condition of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs' medical condition told CNN Monday that Jeffs was in a coma. The source did not provide further details.

The source's information came after Texas prison officials said Jeffs was in critical condition at a hospital following a fast.

[Initial post, 1:07 p.m. ET] Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs was in critical condition in a Texas hospital Monday after falling ill during a fast, state prison officials said.

The leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a breakaway Mormon sect, was sentenced to life plus 20 years in early August after being convicted of sexually assaulting two girls he claimed were his "spiritual wives."

Jason Clark, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, said Jeffs was sent to a hospital in Tyler on Sunday night and was in critical but stable condition Monday.

"He was not eating or drinking enough fluids and also has some other medical conditions," Clark said without elaborating, citing inmate privacy rules.

Jeffs told prison officials he was not on a hunger strike but that he had been "fasting," Clark said.

Read CNN's full coverage of Warren Jeffs' hospitalization in Texas
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Texas • U.S.
  1. Stephen Daedalus

Jailed for life or dead by his own hand... I could care less which. By law however, they need to give medical care, which is really the only issue here. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll die, saving the state of Texas a few bucks.

August 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Grim Reaper

Amen,.....

September 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Da Truuf:
    And when one is insane, he'll say he's not.

August 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. WOT

One wife at a time is the story of us in the USA! There should be a law on the number of times one could lie about (until death do us part)! Cheating should send all you hipo s to Jail!

August 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Da Truuf

@banasy©: Well he may in fact be insane, but I've had many men like him tell me that isn't an excuse to act up. I feel no pity for him, nor anyone else that has made my life a living heck. People like him act like they are doing you a favor, by graciously allowing you to bask in their glory. I still feel he is but a toenail on the bigger beast and his death won't let me believe the beast is dead. The beast is dead when the horror stories stop printing in the papers and people can go outside without looking over their shoulder. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression because of men like him. Thankfully I've never been exploited like the girls he exploited, but guys can be victimized in other ways and even by women. I personally hope God gives him the medicine he's been preaching. I had a compulsive lying friend once who had many delusions. He called me his best friend, while telling others he was keeping his enemies close (in regards to me). You can't help people like him and you should run away the second they call you their friend.

August 29, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Da Truuf

@WOT: What if I marry a bi girl and I'm cool with it? Nobody gets hurt. You gonna come into my bedroom and make sure everything is done to your satisfaction? This man's problem wasn't polygamy it was the 12 year old girls he brainwashed and abused. I personally don't know if I will ever get married, but I'll be dam_Ned if you tell me I can't have relations with two consenting adult women. I don't tell you I think eating meat is immoral and you should try to limit it.

August 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lisa

I agree but then if you produce more children than you can handle by having multiple wives – stay in your bedroom , don't come crying for a hand out.

A very high percentage of these multiple-wives marriages is on welfare.

August 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lisa

Other health issues? Let's see.. delusional, sociopath, and who knows what else. Apparently couldn't get adult partners and had to coerce children into bed with him.

August 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. margarita

da truuf, i think banasy was calling you insane

August 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Da Truuf

@margarita: I'm apparently the only one on planet earth who admits they have a few problems. I'd rather have a few than think nothing is wrong with me. If she was oh well.. I know my strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who had a messed up life is going to have a few screws loose. I don't go soliciting 12 year old girls though.. I'm strictly 18 and up. I'm also not that old either as I'm still finishing college.

@Lisa: I agree. I wouldn't marry two women just out of respect for the idea that one woman would get less attention than she deserves. I'd play with two though..

August 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Hmmm!

Someone should cut his d!ck off and see if that brings him out of his coma.

August 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. banasy©

@margarita:
    No, I wasn't saying Da Truuf was insane. He inferred correctly.

@Da Truuf:
    Of course I wasn't calling you insane.
    Don't ever doubt yourself; you're A-OK in my eyes!

*Sigh*.
    I'm thirsty; I think I'll have a Mountain Dew.

August 29, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Cheaters in charge

Our lawmakers have decided for US that it's perfectly legal for you to cheat on your wife, as along as you only have one wife yourself. You can have the wives of several other men, but you can only have the one wife of your own.

August 30, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Having long-term relations isn't just "raype"

We like to call it "raype" when an openly gay "holy man" gets caught having several gay-relationships going at the same time, many with underaged boys. Odd. Isn't the abuse more than that?

August 30, 2011 at 4:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Cult of Personality

And if Warren Jeffs should die?? Oh well, I guess he'll meet his maker in HELL !! Then he can rekindle with his heroes – Reverend Jim Jones and the People's Temple, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (Osho) and David Koresh...

August 30, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse | Reply