Irene update: Death toll at 43; 2.85 million still without power
Hurricane Irene unleashed floodwaters in Shelburne, Massachusetts.
August 30th, 2011

Irene update: Death toll at 43; 2.85 million still without power

[Updated at 6:42 p.m. ET] The death toll from Hurricane Irene stands at 43 across 12 states, with officials in New Hampshire reporting a death linked to the storm.

Here is a state-by-state tally of the deaths:

New York - 8
New Jersey - 7
North Carolina - 6
Pennsylvania - 5
Virginia - 4
Vermont - 3
Connecticut - 2
Delaware - 2
Maryland - 2
Florida - 2
Massachusetts - 1
New Hampshire - 1

Authorities are trying to determine whether an additional death reported in New York is connected to the storm.

Read details of the deaths.

[Updated at 6:13 p.m. ET] The death toll stands at 42 across 11 states, with officials in Maryland linking a second death to the storm.

[Updated at 3:44 p.m. ET] A total of 2.85 million customers still are without power because of Hurricane Irene, the U.S. Department of Energy says.

[Updated at 2:48 p.m. ET] The death toll from Hurricane Irene stands at 41 across 11 states, with officials in Florida linking a second death to the storm.

[Updated at 2:46 p.m. ET] The death toll from Hurricane Irene stands at 40 across 11 states, with the New York State Office of Emergency Management reporting two more deaths in the storm.

[Updated at 10:23 a.m. ET] A total of 3.3 million customers are still without power due to Hurricane Irene, the Department of Energy said Tuesday.

[Updated at 8:59 a.m. ET] Emergency officials report at least 38 people in 11 states have died as a result of Hurricane Irene.
North Carolina - 6
Pennsylvania - 5
Virginia - 4
New York - 6
Vermont - 3
Connecticut - 2
New Jersey - 7
Maryland - 1
Florida - 1
Massachusetts - 1
Delaware - 2

[Updated at 7:42 a.m. ET] Emergency officials report at least 36 people in 10 states have died as a result of Hurricane Irene.
North Carolina - 6
Pennsylvania - 5
Virginia - 4
New York - 6
Vermont - 3
Connecticut - 2
New Jersey - 7
Maryland - 1
Florida - 1
Massachusetts - 1

[Updated at 7:24 a.m. ET] Authorities in Massachusetts have confirmed another death related to Hurricane Irene.

A man was electrocuted in the town of Southbridge after he touched the railing of an aluminum porch that also had been struck by a power line, said Peter Judge, a spokesman for the  Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

The death brings CNN's tally of hurricane related deaths to 28.

Post by:
Filed under: Hurricane Irene • Hurricanes • Massachusetts • Tropical weather
  1. hi

for every one dead one-hundred are born

August 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • IBEATIRENE

That doesn't make it better you moron.

Didn't your mother teach you when you have nothing nice to say to not say anything at all?

August 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. morticiaa1979

There was a woman in VT, who was standing next to a swollen river and she fell in. My first thought is, why on earth, if there was a flood going on, would you go near the banks and watch the rushing water. The second thing I thought, was how incredibly sad this is for all of the folks who have lost homes, family possessions, family, friends, etc. Let us hope there is no more destruction to follow!!

August 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. banasy©

I use my own name.
    Do you?

August 30, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • citizen

"banasy" is not a name, it is a mere screenname. Get a clue already.

August 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Happ

So sad. Money article says FEMA almost out of money. Doesn't it figure, the red states that complain about taxes, yet always take more than they pay in, use up theses funds year in and year out with their floods, and tornadoes. Now the states that provide the money need it and poof, it's gone. Thanks so much welfare states, while you're beefing and sending morons like Jim Demint to represent you did you ever stop to think that you are the problem. The data is easily available that shows blue states pay the bills red states (except Texas) take in way more than they pay. Again, you are the problem.

August 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. bobcat2u

Hey banasy, how you doing today ?

I think it is so sad how some of these posters have no compassion whatsoever !! It could be that they have yet to experience any kind of loss in their own lives. When it finally does happen, I'm sure they're going to be the first ones looking for sympathy.

I also think Michele Bachmans attempt at humor was pretty crass.

August 30, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. banasy©

@bobcat2u:

I agree totally.
    I don't know, I'd rather be over-prepared than be caught unawares.
    Obviously, the milk of human kindness dried up, if this blog is any indicator!

Michelle Bachman is a twit.
    She's be right at home here! ;)

August 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. bobcat2u

@banasy

Geez !!! With all this bad news lately, it just gets hard to want to talk about these issues. Especially when all these obviously heartless people have to spew their venom.

We need some comic relief to get things lightened up. I mean, when I don't feel like cracking a joke or two, that's really sad.

August 30, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Irene's Troll

Now let's be honest... You trolled me first.. I only trolled a troll. If you know who I am then you wont mind me telling everyone how you gave me the clap?.. Believe me not ever seeing you would be a blessing. I guess I could get a beeejeer.. That's pretty safe..

August 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Truly Compassionate People

A truly compassionate individual does not feel compelled to show a public face of sorrow each and every time something bad happens. It's the same with praying in public with a face askewed so that men will see it, it is just a show.

August 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Irene

@My Troll: You're right.. Boo hoo.. Sniffle sniffle.. Remember Powder when Eddie Vedder stomped powder in the mud? The mud was my vergyna and powder was your pp.. Sniffle sniffle cry cry.. Crocodile tears.. Wahhhhhhhh... So tragic!...... Oh yeah and I call black people Zambonis.. Cuz they go out before all the white guys get a chance to score.. tee hee.. Don't ever contact me again Troll!.. hahaha.. Mad Hatter... cuckoo cuckoo..

August 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. banasy©

@Truly:
    True.
    However, it's a nice balance to see this once in a while in the midst of thread-hijacking and vitriolic hatred.

August 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Irene

August 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. banasy©

Wow.
    WTH?

August 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. steve harnack

You can always count on any article dealing with death and destruction to attract the sickest of the sick and the meanest of the mean spirited. Come to think of it, so does every other article. Never mind.

August 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. s kel

AzHitman I dont like to wish BAD on normal people,but morons and ass wipes I normanly do wish bad things. So , my wish for you is to have a CVA, Sinkable episode, ect...that will shut you the hell up. Look it up in a EMS journal.

August 30, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply