September 1st, 2011

Officials: Nuclear plant's fuel storage casks moved by Virginia quake

Twenty-five of 27 spent fuel storage casks at a Virginia nuclear plant were shifted between 1 and 4 inches during last week's 5.8-magnitude earthquake, officials said Thursday.

The cylinders, each 16 feet tall and weighing 115 tons, were not damaged, and no radiation was released, said Rich Zuercher, spokesman for Dominion Virginia Power, which owns the North Anna Power Station.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • Virginia
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini, "vain, compulsive," "idiotic," "heathen," and "arrogant" 6%-bodyfat "dude"

Watch for banasy's comment on this.
    She has expertise in the field.

September 1, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzz

I can only imagine
    What it will be like
    When I walk
    By your side

I can only imagine
    What my eyes will see
    When your face
    Is before me
    I can only imagine

[Chorus:]
    Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
    Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
    Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
    Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
    I can only imagine

I can only imagine
    When that day comes
    And I find myself
    Standing in the Son

I can only imagine
    When all I will do
    Is forever
    Forever worship You
    I can only imagine

[Chorus]

I can only imagine [x2]

I can only imagine
    When all I will do
    Is forever, forever worship you

September 1, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Oh no. Something moved during an earthquake. God help us.

September 1, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • rich

That's 230,000 pounds(about 50 autos) apiece, Bimbo. How much energy is needed to move that weight?
      Which construction components of the nuclear plant can not withstand that much force?

September 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rock

So nothing happened then....slick powers of journalism at their best.
    Attn CNN: news is when there is something to report.
    THIS JUST IN: nothing new in congress today. They are still screwing every taxpayer out there except for the top 1%
    Over to you Ollie...

September 1, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. Queen B

Sigh.

September 1, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I do.
    Especially with the spent rod in my basement.

Wow, that's quite a moniker, JIF.

September 1, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

I would hope that these plants would have been built taking earthquakes into consideration.

September 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Delicate containers

Have any of you ever seen these containers? No? I could tell from your ignorant comments.

September 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Delicate containers

Spent rod? In your basement? I've got one of those, but it's only four inches. Some like 'em that wide though. I remember the first time I ever used it for anything other than going pee-pee. I was only 9 yrs. old when I lost my virginity. Huh? Oh. You meant with a partner. nm

September 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mr Money

It doesn't count if you pay for it.

September 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr SandyK

@jazzzzzzzz great song! that area is where we just moved from. thank God it wasnt anything. alot of good people in that area.

September 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Delicate containers.....

....is sporting a hockey puck for a penis, and is actually...9 years old.

September 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini, "vain, compulsive," "idiotic," "heathen," and "arrogant" 6%-bodyfat "dude"

@ banasy 11:46 AM:
    Thank you very much.
    I just threw together some of the nice compliments I've received from others here.

September 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mr SandyK

@jif my brother whoever is saying those things about you is obviously a fathead! too much skull not enough brain

September 1, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. enlighten44

I can understand people's fears when it comes to things they don't know. This plant operated as it should, including venting steam to the atmosphere, and there was never a threat to the public.

September 3, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |