September 2nd, 2011

No jobs added in August

Hiring slammed to a complete halt in August as several fresh challenges put the American economy in turmoil.

Employers added no jobs during the month and the unemployment rate remained at 9.1%, the Labor Department said Friday.

The report was partially distorted by 22,000 state workers in Minnesota returning to work after a temporary government shutdown in July, as well as 45,000 Verizon workers on strike in August.

Those effects made it hard to compare the August jobs number to the 85,000 jobs gained in July.

Still though, the overall figure is considered weak in comparison to job gains of about 200,000-a-month, earlier this year.

Economists typically estimate the nation needs to add about 150,000 jobs each month to keep up with population growth alone. It needs even stronger growth to recover the millions of jobs lost during the financial crisis.

FULL CNNMONEY.COM STORY
  1. Philip

Hello Joey, good to see you again friend. Thanx for pointing that out, but I think we would still have problems creating enough jobs to keep up with pop. growth even if everyone were followers of the elephant party.

September 2, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. txnan6

CNN asks "What can be done to create jobs/improve the jobs situation". They need to investigate why Banks/Business are not investing the huge amounts of cash they have. Richard Fisher (Dallas Federal Reserve) and lots of economists say they money is there, Businesses are not creating jobs because of the uncertainty of keeping/increasing their profits. The Republicans are doing everything they can to not allow any improvement in our economy because it improves their position in the 2012 election. Please start investigating this.

September 2, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

@Allen...soon, there won't be hardly any wal-mart employees. Wal-Mart has almost perfected a system they've been experimenting with for years. An outfit called Alien Technologies sells wally RF chips for 1/4 penny ea., to be intalled in each item. So you just fill your cart and leave...as you exit, each item is scanned and your account gets deducted. Wally has also perfected stocking systems that do not require human laborers. If I were a Wally man, I'd start looking for a different carreer.

September 2, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hello, Philip.
    You know exactly how my comment on population growth, which credited you, was related to the problem.
    Don't forget that I'm a Republican who's going to vote for Obama again.
    I was not soliciting party members. "Personal responsibility" is a phrase more often used by Republicans than by Democrats.
    I agree with you that it will be hard for any measures to balance the population growth in this country.
    Did any child ever say, "I want to work at WalMart when I grow up?"

September 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Philip

Hey you, I know that you're the true Joey Isotta-Fraschini here as he is neither a Republican nor has he any intention whatsoever to vote for Barack Obama! The true Joey is a peacemonger if anything and hates all this needless bloodletting halfway around the world and I feel exactly the same way he does!

September 3, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. pmk1953

The republicans keep saying the government doesn't create jobs. Then, in the same breath, castigate the president for not creating jobs.

September 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

Clinton signed nafta Please show me a job other than the milatary The private sector provides the jobs Lets hope this jobs bill is better than the last fiasco where obama made a few jobs at a horundous cost Hopefully a well educated man of the presidents stature can do better this time And not thnk hes pulling the wool over americans eyes

September 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bull Halsey

The company I work for is hiring like hot cakes.

September 2, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David

Job creation is easy: Lower income taxes to give Americans more spendable income. Stop so many useless regulations and excess corporate taxation and I will restart my company and put people to work. Until I can make money instead of funneling a large percentage to the Government, then I will continue to sit and play on the computer.

So, what is the problem?? This is fundamental economics.

September 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anomic Office Drone

I've come to believe that companies have noticed they are just as productive without as many workers. I know that if I owned a business and had to lay off people then noticed that nothing got any harder, I wouldn't hire people when things go better unless I absolutely needed them.

September 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

NO jobs were added. Really? NO jobs at all?

OK, I know what they are trying to say. Job growth was statistically insignificant, or job losses offset new job growth. I just think the headline is lazy wording.

September 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Our leaders failed us!

Average politician: Jobs? Ummm? So..... who wants to talk about abortion and same s3x marriage?

September 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Angela Charlotte, NC

I am 66 and a retiree. Next year the baby boomers would or should be retiring. Most of them cannot afford too. If unemployment will not improve for another six years or so, is this because many baby boomers will work into their seventies?
    Has the government totally not anticipated this? We will not be spending and i don't think anyone has addressed this.

September 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Darwin

I love it when they talk about putting more money into job creation. Huh? What does that mean exactly? Are we going to buy more jobs? Are we going to buy trees that magically grow the jobs? Sounds like more wasted money to me. Here's a thought! Stop sending all of our jobs to China! I understand that these big companies can pay them half of what they would pay us to do the same job. After all, these CEO's have yachts and personal jets to buy! Let's show a little sympathy for the super rich here people. It's an easy fix really. If you want to run a company in this country, a certain % of your labor force has to be kept here in the USA. Government regulates everything else, why not this? Well, that's my "jobs plan" in a nutshell. Like it or not, you're ent!tled to your opinion, but at least it's something.

September 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I guess that Barack Obama can't be feeling any too good about this news! If he only had sense enough to change our priorities in Washington, this economy would have a better chance of recovering but he won't. He's too busy placating the MIC(military-industrial-complex)!!!

September 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Obviously not I at 8:18 PM.

September 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |