September 5th, 2011

Soggy Lee plods north; storm damage reported in Georgia

[Updated at 5:15 p.m. ET] More than 100 homes in north suburban Atlanta were damaged by heavy thunderstorms and possible tornadoes as the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee swept through the area Monday, authorities reported.

At least one person was rescued from the basement of a collapsed home near Woodstock, about 30 miles north of downtown Atlanta, Cherokee County Emergency Management Supervisor Robby Westbrook told CNN. He said sheriff's deputies counted more than 100 homes damaged in a roughly five-mile stretch around the town.

And Cherokee County Fire Department spokesman Tim Cavender said several trees were knocked down around Holly Springs, about five miles north of Woodstock. But there were no immediate reports of injuries, he said.

The National Weather Service issued a series of tornado warnings for the area starting around 2:30 p.m. Tornado sightings and radar indications were reported across the northwest Atlanta suburbs throughout the rest of the afternoon.

[Initial post, 11:45 a.m. ET] Lee whipped up winds, dumped rain and caused severe flooding across a broad swath of the Southeast on Monday even after weakening to a tropical depression.

The storm will bring up to 20 inches of rain to some areas Monday as it moves into southern Mississippi, the National Hurricane Center said.

The threat of flash floods forced authorities in Jackson, Mississippi, to evacuate more than two dozen families from an apartment complex early Monday, Jackson police spokeswoman Colendula Green said. The storm knocked down power lines and trees across the city, officials said Monday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Louisiana • Mississippi • Texas • Tropical weather
  1. banasy©

*Friend*

September 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Hi, bobcat2u!
    Whassup?

September 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzzz

To clearify
    I do have parkinsons
    I have said my Good's already and will NOT go into the matter as it is private
    I will be thinking of you all
    @ JIF , Note from this morings conversation: there is NO next for me
    Happy Note, love, Joy and peace to you all :)

September 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

@bobcat2u: You seem so hostile this wonderful afternoon. You have a nice afternoon my wonderful fellow blogger. Just love your posts-really.

September 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u

@banasy
    We are doing well down here. I think TSleeintulsa is finally starting to wring itself out like a dish cloth. They are calling for sunshine and high in the seventies tomorrow.

@Cesar
    No hostilities my friend.
    I'm still trying to feel my way around with these trolls. It's kinda hard to distinguish sometimes. But it's all good.

@Jazzzzzzzz
    If that truly you and not a troll, I am truly sorry to here of your condition.
    Wishing the best for you.

September 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Secretary of interior "Not Sure"

I once had a soggy lee head north. I got all the way up my back and I woke up and yelled " who the hell snuck in my bed and crapped in my pants while I was sleepin?"

September 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Donna

Dear Mary:

I am truly sorry to hear about your illness.
    Whatever you may think of me, know this:
    I an thinking of you, I will pray for you, and I will always love you.

Love,

September 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

Please read my 2:36 post
    thanks again all

September 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Well, Jeez, the post @2:36 says you DO have it...

September 5, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |

seeeeeeeeeeee
    rather I'm fine guys
    bye bye birdie
    time to go

September 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

??? What's sipping words???

This is a cruel turn of events...

Oh, well, my post stands.

@Secretary of interior "Not Sure":

Yuck! Way to paint a portrait with words!

Is that you, bobcat2u?

September 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

Yes it is me.
      Wow, this is getting scary. How do we know who we're even talking to anymore.
      Sometimes I wonder if that is me too. But in most cases, I think our writing styles stand out.

September 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat2u

Let me tell you about my friend, Benny.

One day, Benny was walking down the beach when he came up on a magic latern. Well, he picked up the lantern, rubbed it, and POOF, out popped the genie.
    The genie said " I am the genie of this lamp and I can grant you any wish you desire. " Benny thought about it and said I wish to be rich and famous. The genie said, I can grant your wish, but there is one catch. You must grow a beard and never shave it off. For the day that you shave your beard, you will be turned into an urn. Well, Benny decided he could live with that and his wish was granted. So year after year, he kept his word and never shaved. His beard got longer and longer until it was so long he couldn't even walk around without tripping on it. He got so frustrated, that one day he just shaved it off. And ZAP,he was turned into an urn.

The moral of the story--A Benny shaved, Is a Benny urned.

September 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |