21-foot monster crocodile caught
Villagers gather by the 21-foot-long crocodile after it was captured on Saturday.
September 6th, 2011

21-foot monster crocodile caught

Wildlife authorities in the Philippines say they have captured a 21-foot-long, 2,370-pound saltwater crocodile, thought to be the largest creature of its kind now in captivity.

The croc was captured in Agusan del Sur marsh on the southern Philippine island of Mindinao, according to a report on GMA News. Hunters had been trying to capture it for 21 days, the report said. It was finally captured on Saturday by a team of about 30 men who used meat to bait it and an eight millimeter metal cable to snare it, according to an Agence-France Presse report on ABS.CBN News.

Edwin Cox Elorde, mayor of the remote town of  Bunawan near where the croc was caught, said the reptile will become the star of a nature park there, according to the AFP report.

The previous largest crocodile in captivity is an 18-footer in Australia, according to Guinness World Records.

Crocodiles are suspected in the deaths of a local fisherman earlier this year and a girl a few years ago, according to the news reports, but authorities could not say whether the monster caught Saturday was responsible.

Cox Elorde told Inquirer news in the Philippines that there could be a thousand more large crocodiles in the marsh, but he denied earlier reports that locals would try to catch another.

He also said the croc captured Saturday has been named Lolong, after local hunter Ernesto “Lolong” Conate, who died of a stroke while helping plan the capture of the reptile.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Philippines
  1. Guest

Where's Jeremy Wade when you need him?

September 6, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

I agree that if this croc is close to humans & where they're living he should be caught, but he should be carried off to an area far away from humans (or, at least reasonably far away). Something this massive (& probably pretty old & ancient) doesn't belong in a zoo for our human's enjoyment,

September 6, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • j

Oh shut up...

September 6, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • astuartgirl

I agree. He lived this long without any help from us. Why bother him now? Jeez, how would come of you like to yanked out of your house and put in a cage?

September 6, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • astuartgirl

*some

September 6, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • ss

be quiet. i knew a bleeding heart would be on here crying about the fate of this gator. worry about something else – like how our own race is gonna survive. our odds aren't looking too good right now...

September 6, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

OK, they'll release it in the Saudi desert, as salt water crocodiles also live in the ocean and kill humans fishing on a regular basis.
      If you don't like that, they can always kill it.
      It's an apex predator, everything is food to it. Fish, birds or fishermen. It is just that simple.

September 6, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • ShellyTea

I completely agree. Put this animal somewhere far from populated areas and let us all live in peace.

September 6, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • merlinblack

@ ss – Seriously? You're concerned about our race's survival? There are 7 BILLION of us. The ONLY threat to our survival is our wholesale destruction of the environment.

September 6, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • bsitz

If you are worried about the destruction of our race you should start by keeping our eco system in tact. An apex predator that has lived on this earth WAY longer then us deserves respect. 200 million years > 14,000 years. Who gives you the right to say we can kill any single species?

The earth we abuse and the living things we kill, will in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future.

September 6, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

You know, you've changed my mind. You're right. From now on, if a wild animal comes NEAR a human town or city, said town or city will be moved away from all possible animals.
      We'll start with yours.
      Let us all know how you like being on the geographic south pole.

September 6, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stacey

relocating a wild animal isn't as easy as moving it from point A to point B. i'm not even talking about the logistics of the actual move.

September 7, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. They can't get it up either

Just as millions of American men suffer from "can't get it up on my own, Ed" the USA's male aligator population has likewise been stricken, starting when the Army Corp. of Engineers began "improving" Florida's waterways. "Leave these beasts alone"?

September 6, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

The US doesn't have crocodiles, we have alligators.
      And there is a problem with "leave the beast alone", when people are attacked, like the 90 year old woman who is now missing a leg, from an alligator attack.

September 6, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Obvious

Why is a 90yr old lady in the water in the 1st place? Koi would take her leg and new hip.

September 6, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

She wasn't in the water, a canal runs near her house and she had heard that it was near flood stage, so she checked it.
      The alligator lunged from the water and grabbed her leg.
      A passing motorist saw what was happening and jumped into the water and freed her and amazingly wasn't injured.
      The alligator has been reported to be disappointed in losing a meal and has since moved to a better, more alligator friendly neighborhood.

THAT said, salt water crocs are NOTORIOUSLY vicious and consider EVERYTHING that they see food. They'd probably take a whack at a polar bear, were one in their area (opposite hemisphere and too cold in arctic waters).
      In short, it's an apex predator and isn't very smart, regarding how vicious the new, upstart apex predator is, humans in groups.
      What is interesting is, these people, like some Indians did with a tiger encroaching on a village, moved the animal far away, where it can't cause harm.
      In the tiger's case, deep into the forest.
      For this crocodile, to a zoo, as it's a record size.

September 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mark

Just another example of a further widening gap between humans and nature.
    Instead of finding out where and what this animals habits and territory were and
    maybe adjusting human habits and territory we remove a magnificent and increasingly
    rare creature from where it belongs. Now it gets turned into some pathetic circus attraction
    for lazy tourist who can't be bothered with actually venturing into the wild to see something
    as amazing as this. This is the same country that has allowed the capture of wild dolphins
    to be taken to a resort called Sentosa (www.saddestdolphin.com) so tourist can "swim" with them.
    Humanity saddens me more and more. We are so selfish and abusive to this planet.

September 6, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Salt water crocodiles, guess where they live? In salt water, hanging out near salt marshes and the ocean proper.
      I guess humans need to stay away from water then, right? Humans can fish inland for food. I hear the fishing is GREAT in the desert, where there are no crocodilians at all.

September 6, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • ss

it is estimated that 99% of creatures to ever live on earth are extinct. maybe your little mind can't wrap around this fact, but the bottom line is that plants and animalks will come and go – including crocs and even humans. i can pretty much assure you that crocs will have reigned this planet a longer than human ever will. humans have been around 2.2 million years....crocs have been here for 230 million. their time is up!

September 6, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • bsitz

Humans have been here for MAYBE 14,000 years. No where near 1 million. And yet somehow we think we can decide what species can go extinct....amazing

September 6, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Wzrd1
      We do have crocodiles in the U.S. They live in southern Florida. They are called the
      American crocodile. Look it up! I live in South Carolina and have alligators all around
      me. I have learned to be vigilant as to their whereabouts and habits and have never
      had a problem with them. However I've noticed that Floridians feel as if they can completely
      encroach on the everglades and expect to never have an encounter. Then when they do,
      panic ensues. God forbid anyone should actually be mindful of nature when they venture
      out into the burbs. If I applied the same logic that I've read in some of these comments then
      I could say that it was the 90 year olds time to go. But then that would be ignorant and insensitive
      wouldn't it?

September 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Mark, I've personally "met" an alligator before. When I was at Fort Stewart, we went to the field for a field problem.
      One early evening, I was walking through the camp, after our command and staff and found myself face to face with an alligator, 5 feet from me. It was heading the opposite direction I was, as there were waterways on either end of our camp.
      I stepped to one side and went my way, it steered a bit to the other side and went its way.
      Then, I got a merry laugh as I heard hatches slamming, including the top hatches and battle locks being thrown by some of the men. Apparently, those men thought the alligator would turn the hatch latch, open the hatch and climb in OR climb to the roof and come in.
      We raised the ramp, put it on a water can and nothing could climb in.
      The local fishermen came on base to fish. I asked why they had chickens with them, thinking they were using the chicken for bait. They fed a couple of chickens to the alligators and the alligators left their fish on the hook alone.

Now, had that alligator been aggressive and began to be a threat, my field knife would pith it and we'd have had some fine alligator for chow.
      They leave me alone, I leave them alone. They become a threat, they're toast.
      And yes, I AM proficient with all weapons known to man. I wasn't ALWAYS babysitting infantry... :)

September 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

guys, this croc was caught exactly 1 day before the 5 year anniversary of steve irwin's death. pretty cool eh?

September 6, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • ss

no, not really interesting at all....

September 6, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

I have to side with ss on this one. Who cares? Irwin was an idiot showman, taking excessive risks. It's a miracle he didn't get any of his crew killed or badly injured.

September 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Drakorex1

You can t please everyone! Animal rightsactiveist or the animal haters is there any other choice what to do with it?

September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Waaambulance

4 1/2 gold stars for you!

September 6, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

There are three choices. Release it and have it back in proximity to human fishermen again. Put it in a zoo. Kill it.
      Those are apex predators, not something in the middle of the food chain. They attack and eat humans as often as they catch fish.

September 6, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. Waaambulance

Really people? why have so many people posted how barbaric and horrible this situation is? you must live in a gated community and never even thought to do as little as google what a day in the life is like for people in villages in the Phillipines. This croc was a menace eating livestock and people it needed to be moved to ensure the safety of both. Im assuming all those wimpy kiddie baby whiners that posted about how we destroy all animals habitats dont actually realize what it would be like living right next door to a 21 ft crocidile, they would all be the first to gather the mob to kill it...oh but wait! they didnt kill it!they captured it and are moving it so all can live in peace. If you people want to have a sit down with the crocs and ask them not to attack people then fine be my guest, I would rather go with the ones that captured it, much more effective...such ignorant people in this world...

September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Terry Shilo

Very well stated. Magnificent, yes... could I be warm and fuzzy about a crocodile, no!

September 6, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • JMD

@ Waaambulance: You are definitely on point here. Most crying about the Croc being captured would stomp a Garter snake and think nothing of it. That said, when a Croc lives to get to the size of a delivery truck, you can rest assured that there is extremely little that it fears,...including whimpy, two-legged, humans that reside at the top of the food chain and live in their own little shoe-box world. I say way-to-go to the people of the Philipines.

September 6, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. penel9

Leave it be!

September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Yeah! If it eats your kid, you and your wife can make another one that looks just like it.
      To be eaten.
      If they were looking for it for 21 days, it wasn't for fun. It was because it was in an area that was dangerous to them.
      I guess you'd be happy with a wolf pack in your yard and "leave them be"?
      I'd get my hunting rifle out and firing a round near them. With THAT caliber, they'll want to be well away from the portable thunderstorm. I know *I* did when my earplug fell out.

September 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Edward

@ the poster named God (not the Almighty Himself):

Since you want to liken this story to a child's bedtime tale, consider that now there will be less children threatened by monsters like this and more who are actually able to listen to bedtime stories with a happy ending, namely "The Day The Big Teeth Monster Was Caught"

Seriousness aside, I just read a little bit ago that witnesses reported hearing a loud sound emanating from Steve Irwin's grave plot: "CRIKEY!!"

September 6, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Shortly followed by, "Would you LOOK at the TEETH on that-OWWWW!"

September 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Robin Bush

i hope he breaks loose and eats the whole village, get rid of these losers

September 6, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Waaambulance

Wow I hope the crocidile stops off at your neighborhood next and eats you and your loved ones because you are clearly so much better than those villagers and you deserve life oh so much more then they do...pathetic.

September 6, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Where do you live? I'll personally and actually buy it and put it in your yard.
      We'll see about who gets eaten, loser.
      They didn't go hunting that beast for 21 days for fun, they did it to get rid of a dangerous predator.
      But, apparently, on the planet Supidia, children are supposed to be eaten by apex predators with impunity.

September 6, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • bsitz

Yeah, all those people dying by these crocodiles "2-3 people SUSPECTED to be lost by crocodiles, in the past FEW YEARS" Know how many people are killed by horses in the United States every year.....20. Time to start stringing up them horses!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • dudestski

This is why you will die much sooner than that croc will. You who are the "privileged", family guy watching, costco shopping, SUV driving, overweight sort. The rest of us in the so called 3rd world will sit back and watch you beg for your next meal once the great recession hits full gear.

September 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

bsitz, ever BEEN to a village like the one mentioned in the story? I have.
      Ever LIVED in a small village for a time? I have. It was part and parcel of SF operations and life.
      I'll suffice it to tell you that you are an idiot. *I* would've hunted that thing down too. But, I'd have not captured it, too risky for my team. It would be dinner for the whole village.
      In THOSE salt marshes, there is only ONE creature that will take a human, otherwise that human comes back to the village. A crocodile. Salt water crocodiles make Nile Crocodiles look like pansies! HIGHLY aggressive and consider ANYTHING they see food.
      Now, come tell me more about reality in primitive conditions when YOU can go into a forest or jungle with a knife and get dinner. When YOU can tell me WHERE to find water in the desert. I CAN AND I HAVE DONE BOTH.

September 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

Crikey, look at the size of that shiela!

September 6, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. PeteMD

I released him 2 years ago. Just got too big to keep as a pet!

September 6, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. Allen G

Let s feed all the idiot d bags that reply here to the croc !!!

September 6, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Soulcatcher

What a croc of ...Meep!

September 6, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

On land, I'd not have a problem taking on a problem alligator. I would seriously consider the same with a Nile Crocodile.
      But, THAT...
      That would be like trying to wrestle with a Hummer. And the result would be easily predictable.
      That critter is big, top of the heap in predator terms and NASTY.
      Not to mention NOTORIOUS for killing humans. Salt water crocodiles are BEYOND nasty.
      Those guys who went after it have bigger stones than me! I'd not go after it with anything less than a .50 Barrett or MK 19!

September 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Edward

stevetexas: "That photo just reminds me that there's too many people in the world. Nature doesn't stand a chance."

Steve, there are said to be at least 1 or 2 bigger such crocs in that swamp. Being that you think there are too many people in the world, why don't you lessen that number by at least one by going on the next hunt... we'll give you a minnow net to take along. And how about this; when it is finally caught, we'll keep it alive and have it moved to the swamp/lake/river/backwater nearest to your house.

September 6, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • bsitz

That crocs family has been on this earth for over 200 million years. Its environment is dwindling....they need to be left alone. Humans have been here for 14,000 years and are slowly taking every bit of rain forest, swamp, mangroves etc over. We are the disease....not the crocs. Its time to start looking at what we are doing to our eco system.

September 6, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

OK, bsitz. You can say the same even MORE for birds.
      So, when a bird lands on your house, move your entire city or town to a place where there are no wild animals. They have rights and you do not.
      There is ONE place guaranteed and one probably guaranteed where there are no wild animals. The geographic poles.
      For you, I suggest the south one. The driest place on Earth.

September 6, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Irwin Never Forgotten

CRIKEY, WHAT A BEAUTY!! Steve Irwin would have loved this.. We miss you Steve.

September 6, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Barbara Nichols

Yes, Steve was one of the best! I, too, miss him.

September 6, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • ann

I hope they don't kill the beast. It's managed to live for 50 yrs. and hopefully can be placed in a wildlife refuge.

September 6, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

I don't miss that idiot. He was a showman and took excessive risks, once, with his own KID!
      Proof of that is how he died.
      There are three chances that I'll get close enough to be hit by a sting ray. Slim, fat and none. Assuming that I am on equal footing as idiot Steve, KNOWING where it was.
      I'm not an idiot and don't take excessive chances. If *I* don't get hurt, someone else COULD.

Ann, the Croc is, PER THE STORY, going to a zoo. Where it will be well fed, have medical care and overall a boring life, rather than an exciting and brief one.
      I'd not be surprised to learn that eventually, it manages to reach WORLD RECORD size.
      And I'm sure they'll even throw it some female crocs for company...

September 6, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |