21-foot monster crocodile caught
Villagers gather by the 21-foot-long crocodile after it was captured on Saturday.
September 6th, 2011

21-foot monster crocodile caught

Wildlife authorities in the Philippines say they have captured a 21-foot-long, 2,370-pound saltwater crocodile, thought to be the largest creature of its kind now in captivity.

The croc was captured in Agusan del Sur marsh on the southern Philippine island of Mindinao, according to a report on GMA News. Hunters had been trying to capture it for 21 days, the report said. It was finally captured on Saturday by a team of about 30 men who used meat to bait it and an eight millimeter metal cable to snare it, according to an Agence-France Presse report on ABS.CBN News.

Edwin Cox Elorde, mayor of the remote town of  Bunawan near where the croc was caught, said the reptile will become the star of a nature park there, according to the AFP report.

The previous largest crocodile in captivity is an 18-footer in Australia, according to Guinness World Records.

Crocodiles are suspected in the deaths of a local fisherman earlier this year and a girl a few years ago, according to the news reports, but authorities could not say whether the monster caught Saturday was responsible.

Cox Elorde told Inquirer news in the Philippines that there could be a thousand more large crocodiles in the marsh, but he denied earlier reports that locals would try to catch another.

He also said the croc captured Saturday has been named Lolong, after local hunter Ernesto “Lolong” Conate, who died of a stroke while helping plan the capture of the reptile.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Philippines
  1. CrocadileRocker

...we really thought the crocodile rock would last...

September 6, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. NeoSHNIK

You are all monsters. If an animal is made to eat people – let it be. Let it eat your children, family, friends, neighbors. And if you don't like it – get off the planet.

September 6, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Cherries

Woa, Buddy. You really need to go see a shrink.

September 6, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeepers

Whaaaat?

September 6, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • RP

You have some issues

September 6, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Myron

Relax. Trolling.

September 6, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sam

Kill it and cook it. I'm sure it could feed their whole village

September 6, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. They can't get it up either (cont)

Taking pills to get it up is only stalling the inevitable: nature is ridding itself of your kind. There are real reasons you can't get it up...it is not a medical condition, it is the direct result of your choice when it comes to breeding. If it is in violation of nature, nature will ultimatly dominate.

September 6, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. PACO

are you just a troll?? amazing that they caught it alive!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. 2/8

Take it somewhere and let it go......can't stand people who feel they have to catch and kill an animal just because they believe "they were there first". The only nuisance in this world is human population growth. Bloody big animal though, WOW!

September 6, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Retard, read the story

Edwin Cox Elorde, mayor of the remote town of Bunawan near where the croc was caught, said the reptile will become the star of a nature park there, according to the AFP report.

September 6, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Reasoning-16

Honestly I think all of you guys are too "Animal Activist". I do agree they should not make it a natural attraction, but they cannot just move it to a safe place, it will most likely find it's way back to another village or town. You cannot cage this animal, nor will anyone let it live in peace. I agree, humanity is very abusive and ignorant, but I doubt you would want a 2,370 LB croc that is 21 feet long living anywhere near you. Get over it the world will not stop.

September 6, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • 2/8

LoL, that's why they should TAKE IT SOMEWHERE AND LET IT GO. And yes, I'm an animal activist when it comes to ignorant people who believe they own every inch of the planet and mystically know where the animal will go when it's released.

September 6, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Dymon Deb

They could release it on 'Ignorant Island'. It would have thousands of ignorant people to eat. I'm not an activist...more like a realist. When I see people trying to jump things that can kill them, climb mountains that can kill them, or capture animals and mammals that can kill them....for some strange reason I hope they get killed trying. When they do I always say under my breath..."Dumb A$$."

September 6, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • bsitz

Being that it took them over 21 days to even find the croc. I doubt its "living in their village"

September 6, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cherries

I'm suprised that they aren't eating it.

September 6, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Barbara Nichols

Your comments were inappropriate and uncalled for. Show some class next time you comment.

September 6, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • HandfulOfPeter

Barbara, please remember this is CNN, where trolls come to do battle.

September 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Umm..

Too bad you can't deliver a sentence "more professional"

September 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Reasoning-16 (Cont.)

Also, I'm pretty sure that it will eat a LOT better than it would in the wild. It will be harder for it to get used to it. But, as I said, people are killing and hunting as you type. The world will not stop moving for a crocodile being put in a nature preserve.

September 6, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • 2/8

....wow, you're right, you know what's best for the planet. I have to say I'm impressed with your arrogant, dismissive comments. Thank God we have people like you to balance out the world.

September 6, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • sdiego

Kill it!

September 6, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • dee

it doesn't look like it's had a hard time finding food to me.

September 6, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. bannister

A 21 foot reptile? Who said dinosaurs don't still exist?

September 6, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. 2/8 (Response)

Lol, ok, but the moment it kills someone they will kill it, I can guarentee that, so if you are a real animal activist you WILL understand that and know what I am talking about. Get it through your head, I honestly think that it either is not really a good choice, but I would say keeping it over letting it go and possibly killing someone later.

September 6, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Judge Dredd

This croc can not handle the law

I am Judge Joe Dredd
    I am the law!

September 6, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Linda

First off it's not a monster, it a living breathing animal that is intended to be part of our world. Calling it a monster is juvenile and at the very least stupid. Keep the fear in journalism – right?

September 6, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. 2/8 (Response)

I'm not saying I know what's best for the planet Sir or Madame. I am just inputting my opinion, I can do that freely. Arrogance, not really I do want what's best for the animal, but I would not want it to kill anyone either.

September 6, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |